<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Why Does RED HI-LITE Disappear from --

March 7 2012 at 9:13 PM
George Campbell  (Login blueangelmodeler)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 69.85.124.91

HS sometimes ? When we click on an item and close it converts text to red, but like right now, the feature is not working. Thanks, George

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Charles_Metz)
HyperScale Forums

If you clear your browser's cache, intentionally or otherwise, your browser ...

March 7 2012, 9:49 PM 

... no longer knows which links you've visited, because that information is stored in your computer rather than by this (or any other) website.

Charles Metz

-----------

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange trip it's been.

Respond to this message   
George Campbell
(Login blueangelmodeler)
HyperScale Forums

What is a browser cache ?

March 8 2012, 9:14 AM 

Thanks for the answer, but i don't know what one is, how to clear it or not clear it etiher. George

Respond to this message   

Jim Mc
(Login Obadiah)
HyperScale Forums

A cache

March 8 2012, 3:56 PM 

Basically, in a nutshell, it's a portion of memory specifically tasked with storing information from websites. This allows the computer to load the page faster, since it already has said information (like the banner for hyperscale) locally. Technology sort of makes it redundant, as it is easier to download, due to high speed internet. Back in the days of dialup, this MATTERED.

Being that this space is only so big, it gets filled up fast, and begins to cause problems. You don't see the current page. You don't see new messages, the page won't load (but a few).

Clearing this out is easy- this is if you are using internet explorer. Up above, you will see a toolbar.
Click on TOOLS
Make sure you are on the GENERAL Tab (you should be, it is the default location)
Under BROWSING HISTORY, make sure the checkbox for "delete browsing history on exit" is checked- if it is not there, don't worry about it.
Click on DELETE
You can safely delete Temporary internet files, cookies, history, with very little notice at all. I would advise not deleting stored passwords, unless you know what they are, or how to retrieve them.

This is for Internet Explorer 8, IE7 and IE9 may look a little different, but should have pretty much the same feel.

As always, if you want to learn more, there are plenty of good books to get started with, "Internet for Dummies" is filled with all sorts of good info and tips and tricks.

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login do-bee)
HyperScale Forums

What's the deal about the browsing history....

March 8 2012, 7:04 PM 

Under BROWSING HISTORY, make sure the checkbox for "delete browsing history on exit" is checked- if it is not there, don't worry about it.
What does this do?

Old Digger Pilot

Respond to this message   

Jim Mc
(Login Obadiah)
HyperScale Forums

it removes evidence!!!!

March 8 2012, 8:39 PM 

let's say you are looking at some sites that you would rather nobody else knew about..... (nuff said)
let's say you would rather NOT have a list of ALL the sites you ever went to ready and available, or you just want to keep useless junk off your hard drive.
every time you close Internet explorer, it will automatically remove the sites you have just finished. Sort of like in outlook, when you tell it to empty the recycle bin when you close outlook.

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login do-bee)
HyperScale Forums

Ah ha...nt

March 8 2012, 8:51 PM 

Old Digger Pilot

Respond to this message   

(Login Charles_Metz)
HyperScale Forums

Jim's answer is a good one, but the disadvantage of clearing your cache is that ...

March 9 2012, 12:08 AM 

... you then lose the color change in links of those Network54 posts (for example) that you've read already. Therefore, the choice between clearing or not clearing one's cache at the end of each session is a decision that should be made on the basis of one's personal situation and preferences after the associated issues are understood.

Charles Metz

-----------

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange trip it's been.

This message has been edited by Charles_Metz from IP address 24.7.210.254 on Mar 9, 2012 12:09 AM

Respond to this message   
George Campbell
(Login blueangelmodeler)
HyperScale Forums

Hi, Jim -- As Always, Thanks, George n/t

March 8 2012, 7:21 PM 

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Why Does RED HI-LITE Disappear from --
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

To post a new message, simply press the "Post An Article" button. If you are posting a message or replying for the first time you will need to create a Network 54 login and regsiter for the Forum.

To read a message, click on that message in the list. You will see the message and the following thread, and then have the choice of reading the remaining messages or replying to the original message.

free counters