<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Avoid running over box springs!

April 8 2012 at 9:46 AM
  (Login ResinPrince)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 173.185.20.52

A friend on one of the Automotive boards recently had this happen. he was in his truck fortunately and not is VW. He is behind someone (you have seen them I am sure) going down the interstate with stuff piled in their truck, not tied down or not well enough! The guy has a set of box springs and a mattress in his truck. Al of a sudden here it all comes. He can not avoid runing over it. There is a thump and a cloud of pink fluf. He and his passenger have a laugh then his truck begins to slow. He pulls over. This is what he saw.

Photobucket

This did some serious damage and the mattress owner kept going.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kurt
(Login RocketmanV)
HyperScale Forums

Except that's not his picture.

April 8 2012, 10:12 AM 

That pic was floating around on the internet and emails years ago.

Regardless, I have seen something similar, firsthand, although on a much smaller scale and it took a long time to cut it all free.

Respond to this message   

(Login ResinPrince)
HyperScale Forums

Well I guess ya just never know

April 8 2012, 11:02 AM 

Why would someone post something like this as theirs then?

Have to have a talk with the boy...
Thanks, Mike

Respond to this message   
Kurt
(Login RocketmanV)
HyperScale Forums

Found this on the net:

April 8 2012, 11:46 AM 

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=49344

I think the pic is legit/real, just not his claim that "it happened to a friend of his"

Respond to this message   

(Login neoteepo)
HyperScale Forums

I know. Why do folks do stuff like that? Me??..............

April 8 2012, 3:05 PM 

if I was going to do something like that I'd photoshoppy something like I was desperately trying to escape the advances of somebody like Faith Hill! oh yeh, cause I'd already had enough! lol, cheers, LL

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

Respond to this message   
Tom Booth
(Login bookmark460)
HyperScale Forums

Someone on the www NOT truthful????? Naw! nt.

April 9 2012, 1:34 AM 

Respond to this message   

(Login EdKeene)
HyperScale Forums

blacked out eyes?

April 8 2012, 10:13 AM 

What are they hiding?

Respond to this message   

(Login neoteepo)
HyperScale Forums

their eyes. sorry couldn't resist. cheers, LL,nt

April 8 2012, 3:05 PM 

lkj;

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

Respond to this message   

(Login junkman3353)
HyperScale Forums

In a previous life working with the CHP, I had a guy run over a mattress then...

April 8 2012, 4:48 PM 

the springs unloaded and wrapped around the front wheels locking them. THEN the padding wadded up against the catalytic converter. Everything: car/mattress and all, burned right to the pavement. Don't run over mattresses.

Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: Guns. Lots of guns.

Respond to this message   
Tom Booth
(Login bookmark460)
HyperScale Forums

Really happened to your friend or not....

April 9 2012, 1:31 AM 

when I find myself behind those dopes .... I just slow down, fall back, or pass.

Around here it's usually gardeners hauling a piled too high load of yard debris to the recycler/dump. A ten yr old tattered 5 dollar blue cover tarp flapping in the breeze, doing lil' good, leaves/stuff flying out behind. Or at the end of the month, people switching apts w/ all their worldlies piled atop some poor lil' compact car.

If something falls off a car ahead and you don't have time to stop/react, well some of that's on you for tailgating. Muffler, bumper, driveshaft, brake pad, etc, accidentally falling off a car ahead, well that might not be avoidable, but if you're tailgating a badly/dangerously loaded vehicle, you're kinda just asking for it. He may be in the wrong BUT you're gonna be the one w/ an orange sofa as a hood ornament ..... or dead.

Respond to this message   

(Login BrunoSchielzeth)
HyperScale Forums

I'm with Tom. When I see an overloaded/poorly loaded vehicle in front of me

April 9 2012, 8:39 AM 

I go somewhere else! FAST!! I don't care if I have to drive an extra ten miles, I take some other road. The same with a semi when I hear one of the rear tires going THUMP THUMP THUMP!! When that tire blows I want to be way in FRONT of it! I've seen a semi tire blow. It's not pretty or safe.

It's called "situational awareness". If something near you doesn't look safe/right/normal then get the heck out of Dodge! My life is worth more than the stunning visual of a queen sized mattress coming through my windshield or me driving over it.

In the last 56 years of driving I've seen all sorts of things come off of trucks or cars. A wallet with $300 in it. Yes, I returned it!!! An engine block. Tires. Suitcases. Mattress and box spring. Lumber. Steel bits. Bags of concrete. Plywood. If you can strap it to the roof or load it into the back you can lose it. Normally on a crowded freeway or a busy street. I've seen people die from this junk. I haven't been one of them because I watch what's ahead of me, next to me, and behind me. It comes from riding motorcycles before I started to drive cars. I always drive as far ahead of me as I can. Always having an "out" if the idiot on the side street pulls out in front of me. Always figuring the fool in front of me is going to slam on the brakes (when his brake lights don't work, of course) or make a sudden right or left turn.

Tailgating, which I try very hard not to do, reduces your reaction time to zero and blocks your forward vision so you might as well be driving blind. That's the only excuse for hitting something on the road, as long as it's not a deer or possum or something that just ran out onto the road. But no, I've never hit anything big. Momma Raccoon and three babies one night about 2 AM on a blind curve, but nothing big. And no I don't swerve to miss a dog or cat or Momma Raccoon. If I can't avoid them safely I hit them .... at speed since hitting the brakes is guaranteed to make you lose control and get a deer in through the windshield. My folks got a 4 pointer in the back seat that way. Totalled the car and almost killed both of them. Didn't do much for the deer either. wink.gif

[linked image] Illegitimi non carborundum
In memory of Denis Keegan.

Respond to this message   

(Login ResinPrince)
HyperScale Forums

Plywood!

April 9 2012, 10:34 AM 

Bruno, you just reminded me of that. Some years ago I was on a local freeway kinda early on a weekend morning so trafic was light. A wrecker maybe 5 car lengths ahead of me ran over a full size sheet of plywood. I did not see it before he hit it but I did after. it somehow went airborne and all my stars must have been in alignment as it flew right over me hit the pavement behind me on an edge and the guy behind me hit it. Didnt do much damage as it agani was going airborne over them.

Mike

Respond to this message   

(Login BrunoSchielzeth)
HyperScale Forums

I own a 115 year old home. As such I spend most of my time at Lowe's or Home Depot

April 9 2012, 11:16 AM 

which provides LOTS of laughs. Only the other day I was following out a big Ford F-350 laden with sheets of plywood on the bottom, dry wall on top of that, several boxes of tile on them, and then a bunch of concrete block over it all. I'm sure the fool figured a ton of tile and concrete block would hold things down wink.gif since he didn't have it secured in any way. Not even twine. He slowly leaves the parking lot, drives about 120 yards to a MAJOR street, Green Bay Road for those that know it. Six lanes plus turn lanes, three each direction. I see the left turn light turn yellow and the fool, rather than stop, tries to beat the light. He floors it. The ENTIRE load slides out of the back and lands in the middle of the southbound lanes. Funny how plywood makes a great skid, even with a ton of weight on top of it!

I saw it coming and decided to turn right instead so I watched, LMAO, as this guy and his wife climb out to look at the carnage. The street was closed for over an hour. I'm sure 50% of the load was scrap. To think, a set of $20 ratchet straps would have prevented the whole thing.

The worst I've seen is some mover with a load of household stuff piled in a POS pickup truck. A few strands of 1/4" nylon rope holding it down. I moved over to the curb when I spotted the stuff shifting. The air pressure was pushing on a headboard shoving the washing machine to the tailgate, which was down of course. I started honking my horn but they never heard it I guess? A moment later the rope parted and the washing machine, several boxes, and the headboard fell out. The Honda behind them, that was tailgating and trying to get around him, didn't stand a chance. They hit the washing machine square at about 40 mph. The headboard hit the buckled hood and continued on. Decapitating both people in the front seat.

I spent over an hour parked on the side of the road explaining everything to the police and EMT people. With the Honda covered in a tarp and dripping blood onto the pavement. I heard the driver got charged with involuntary manslaughter and got sued by the family of the people killed. Along with numerous other traffic charges.

The scary part is that there was a child in the back seat. Luckily it was in a car seat and came out OK.

Again, situational awareness can save your life and the lives of those you love. Always be aware of what is around you.

Respond to this message   
Lee Griffin
(Login leegee_77)
HyperScale Forums

Man, I hate to think about how many people have died...

April 9 2012, 4:56 PM 

...because of sheer stupidity like this. It's one thing to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (lightning strike, tornado, tree falls on your house, etc.), but to be killed through sheer stupidity compounded by inadequate situational awareness...man. I hope they threw the book at the idiot with the improperly secured load.

My instinct has always told me to stay well behind the pick-up or car with a ghetto load. Now, I'll be even more diligent. Thanks for the wake-up.

Cheers,

Lee G.

Respond to this message   

(Login BrunoSchielzeth)
HyperScale Forums

If I save one with these stories then I've done my job.

April 9 2012, 7:43 PM 

I've seen a semi tire being repaired blow the ring and explode. It missed my workmate by about 2 inches, went through the ceiling, and landed in the parking lot 200 feet away. It could just as easily cut him in half.

I've seen a semi tire explode on the road at 65 mph. The little car next to it sort of vanished, but the driver lived.

I've seen a snowplow hit a stalled car at 50 mph. You don't want to know.

I've seen a sports car slide under a semi. It was all their fault but it didn't put the heads back on the bodies.

I've seen a motorcycle driver and passenger hit a car broadside at 60 or 70 mph when the car driver pulled out in front of them. Puppets with the stings cut doesn't even come close. They both died.

Situational awareness is the only way to stay alive. My wife, she learned to drive at 20 in Oklahoma, is still surprised when she finally sees a moving truck in the right hand lane with its flashers on. I saw it three blocks earlier. She's still surprised when a green light turns red. OK, 13 walk flashes in most cities. Yes I see them and count them unconsciously. I know to the second when the light will turn red. And I plan on at least one car to run the red light. What surprises me are the idiots that run the light and turn left across your lane LONG after the red light! I have, at times, thought of flooring my Subaru and hitting them. I have full coverage and I know I'm legal but it's not something I'm willing to do just to prove a point.

Respond to this message   

Jim Mc
(Login Obadiah)
HyperScale Forums

man! We'll just call you

April 9 2012, 9:09 PM 

"Death on the highway". Haven't seen near that myself. One thing I did see, on the way back from IPMS Nats in va beach- a motorist pulling a pop up camper had pulled over to change a flat on the camper. He got the flat tire off, and set it behind him- it was ON THE ROAD. A semi had no time to totally avoid the camper wheel, but he did manage to miss most of it. End result was something akin to tiddlywinks, except with a tire/wheel. It went up, and I mean UP (I am guessing it was 800 feet in the air). All the while, I am driving INTO this area. I and my passenger lost track of the tire, but, we felt sort of safe it would miss us (I landed across the freeway, across the center(100 yards wide), and in the inside lane of westbound traffic. Meanwhile, the truck driver had stood on the breaks, as he had NO idea what he hit(he said he thought he had hit the driver), so the trucker was all shook up. And the idiot with the tire? He also was finding religion (all he could say was ohgodohgodohgodohgod). When the trucker regained some composure, he was freaking furious, and if we and several other motorists hadn't stopped, he may have beaten this guy senseless (he didn't have much to start with). Ohio State highway showed up, and took over. It took me the next 43 miles to get the seat out of my pucker........

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

Respond to this message   

(Login BrunoSchielzeth)
HyperScale Forums

I had one classic car problem like that on the freeway.

April 10 2012, 8:23 AM 

A dark Saturday night in September, 1968. Three of us are on our way to see Jimi Hendrix in Milwaukee. John, for whatever reason, is taking us in his 63 VW bug. We are in the high speed lane of I-94 (god knows why when we are in a Bug!!) about three miles from downtown when the left rear goes WOMP! and we skid to the break down lane next to the barrier. We climb out and the left rear wheel is wedged in the fender. A few moments later a County Sheriff pulls up behind us with his lights on. By then I had found out the castle nut had come off because the cotter pin was either sheared or missing. The nut was still inside the hub cap. "You boys want me to call a wrecker? It'll cost you about $60 to get a tow." Like we had $60 on us! I told the cop "I think I can fix it. We have a monkey wrench and all I need is something to use as a cotter key." The cop took a wire stand off of one of his flares. "Think this would work?" Heck yes!! So while John and Charlie press themselves against the barrier I jack up the VW to take the wheel out of the fender. I'm half under the car prying on the tire to get it loose when I hear the cop on his PA. "I'm going to back up to the top of the hill to slow traffic. If you hear the sound of brakes, run like he**!!" Great. I'm UNDER the VW and I'm supposed to get up and RUN???? Yeah right. I manage to get the tire out and back onto the backing plate with a bit of work. I managed to finally get the nut threaded onto the somewhat buggered up shaft. The monkey wrench just barely fit the nut but I got it as tight as I could. The flare wire fit just fine. It took about 10-15 minutes end to end. And we made it to the concert. Eighth row center. I lost my hearing for three days. And it was worth every minute!!! But I still get the chills when I think of the cop telling me to listen for brakes and run like he** while I'm staring at the bottom of a busted VW two inches above my nose!!!

Respond to this message   

(Login ResinPrince)
HyperScale Forums

Hendricks Huh!!?? I saw him in Dallas in 1969

April 10 2012, 4:49 PM 

First date I ever had and my Dad drove us! Still very good friends with her to this day. Those VW Castle nuts are supposed to be torqued on at around 300Ft pounds. Damn hard to get one off too.

Mike

Respond to this message   

(Login BrunoSchielzeth)
HyperScale Forums

I think John's dad did a brake job on the VW a day or two earlier.

April 11 2012, 8:47 AM 

Knowing his father he didn't have a metric socket. In 68 they didn't grow on trees. Or he just clean forgot about tightening it. John was a little "odd" but his dad was also "odd". The entire time I knew them he never owned anything but a Ford or Mercury. And never in anything but red. And with nothing but a 390 in it.

I've forgotten little things myself. My 89 W-24. I had the front tire off to throw in new pads. The landlord showed up right at the end of the job and we had a couple of beers while we talked. My girlfriend needs to leave for work and takes my car. Half an hour later I get a butt reaming on the phone. She got passed by the front tire! She's OK but not happy. Yeah, I forgot to tighten the lug nuts. That was 13 years ago. I STILL hear about it at least twice a year. She found one nut and a guy helped her pull one from the other three wheels so she could get to work but she was not a happy camper. And about two years later I almost killed her again. My old Plymouth van. The front end knocked and I knew the ball joints were going. She had to get to work and her car was half taken apart. "Take the van. It's noisy but it will get you to work and back." Yeah right. About two miles later she makes a left turn and the ball joint breaks. The whole right suspension basically falls over. Oddly she'd rather walk than borrow my car anymore. wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Avoid running over box springs!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

To post a new message, simply press the "Post An Article" button. If you are posting a message or replying for the first time you will need to create a Network 54 login and regsiter for the Forum.

To read a message, click on that message in the list. You will see the message and the following thread, and then have the choice of reading the remaining messages or replying to the original message.

free counters