<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Any "roll-your-own" cigarette smokers here? New law taxes RYO machine cigs...

July 6 2012 at 3:13 PM
Lee Griffin  (Login leegee_77)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 199.72.20.10

...the same as manufactured cigarettes. Interesting progression: Cigarette tobacco taxes were hiked by the Feds, but pipe tobacco wasn't, so the 'roll-your-own' stores popped up with folks buying pipe tobacco and rolling their own with machines supplied by the stores. The new law backed by cigarette companies shuts this down by taxing RYO cigarettes the same as manufactured cigarettes and by requiring the stores to get licenses to operate the machines.

I don't smoke, so I wasn't in the know about the 'roll-your-own' machines.

http://www.lvrj.com/business/roll-your-own-cigarette-operations-to-be-snuffed-out-161539845.html?numComments=15

http://www.suntimes.com/business/13589276-420/roll-your-own-cigarette-stores-going-up-in-smoke.html

Excerpt:

On Friday, President Barack Obama is expected to sign into law a federal highway bill with a section that redefines tobacco manufacturers to include any business with a roll-your-own cigarette machine and taxes those products at the same rate as packaged smokes.

This message has been edited by leegee_77 from IP address 199.72.20.10 on Jul 6, 2012 3:15 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Bo Roberts
(Login jabow1)
HyperScale Forums

Deleted N/T

July 6 2012, 3:51 PM 

This message has been edited by jabow1 from IP address 108.68.38.147 on Jul 6, 2012 4:07 PM

Respond to this message   

Steven Modeldad Eisenman
(Login modeldad)
HyperScale Forums

Nope, only you Bo. LOL...... nt

July 6 2012, 3:53 PM 

Photobucket [linked image]

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

Respond to this message   

Steven Modeldad Eisenman
(Login modeldad)
HyperScale Forums

I'd be happy to see tobacco and related stuff taxed to the sky

July 6 2012, 3:53 PM 

all smokers do is raise my health care premiums or taxes if they are uninsured. If they are going to smoke, let them pay for all the consequences.

If they are gun owners I'd rather they put the end of the barrel in their mouth and pull the trigger. Save a lot of future expense and aggravation.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK

Respond to this message   
Lee Griffin
(Login leegee_77)
HyperScale Forums

I have seen it postulated that smokers die younger and actually cost less...

July 6 2012, 4:15 PM 

...in the long-run because they don't incur the expensive end-of-life heroics. Just a thought: I don't really know. I tend to side with you that tocacco use costs all of us more, like obesity.

Cheers,

Lee G.

Respond to this message   

Graeme Davidson
(Login gcdavidson)
HyperScale Forums

heard the same

July 6 2012, 4:29 PM 

And also that athletes also impose a higher burden on healthcare with sports related injuries and follow-on care.

GD

Respond to this message   
Michael
(Login sanmigmike)
HyperScale Forums

I know someone that works in a grocery store

July 6 2012, 4:37 PM 

so she can get health insurance for her retired pro-athlete husband. As an aside she hates Obama care and I find that a bit strange since of course a lot of their problems had to do with preexisting conditions and other things that were addressed by that. She hates her job and her insurance (she lets you know that her job is well beneath her and she also feels her fellow workers are pond scum) but she has been there for 14 years and she says it is just for the insurance.

Respond to this message   
Mike West
(Login ResinPrince)
HyperScale Forums

If you drive without car insurance

July 6 2012, 4:58 PM 

Many do here in Texas cause well... Anyway if you have none and have an accident, will State Farm, Geico etc cover your damage after the fact? Why should a insurance company cover something after it happens?

I really would like to hear an explanation

As to Smokers. It has long been known it is not healthy so why then does the Nanny State not outlaw their sale? Cause they want the tax money!!! Why is it OK to make an ordinance against letting someone smoke in your bar? If ya don't like cigarette smoke , stay out of the bar!

Respond to this message   

Steven Modeldad Eisenman
(Login modeldad)
HyperScale Forums

Mike. totally different.

July 6 2012, 5:05 PM 

You have insurance because people driving cars have accidents. A known fact. Driving the car is a per-existing condition. Even people who have multiple accidents get thrown in an high risk insurance pool.

The issue id that if you have a condition and are covered by insurance, and you should lose that insurance, then an insurance company can reuse to sell you a private policy. The real issue is the loss of insurance.

But there is a problem with so many who could not get insurance. They are nothing more to a burden. I'm paying for their condition when they show up in the ER having trouble breathing, or bleeding or whatever.

No one said the rates would be the same as a healthy person.

BUY THIS BOOK

Respond to this message   
Lee Griffin
(Login leegee_77)
HyperScale Forums

That does it! No more exercise, and I'm hitting the booze and smokes! :-) n/t

July 6 2012, 4:38 PM 

n/t

Respond to this message   
Leonard LaRoux
(Login neoteepo)
HyperScale Forums

you can't be serious; really? LL,nt

July 6 2012, 4:42 PM 

wer

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

Respond to this message   
Leonard LaRoux
(Login neoteepo)
HyperScale Forums

I seriously doubt there's any truth to that statisticly. First off....

July 6 2012, 4:38 PM 

they don't charge old cancer, emphysema or other illness patients any more than they do younger ones. Secondly smoking deaths usually come late in life anyway. That's my $.02 worth of thoughts on the subject. I'd also add that cost isn't the only issue. Would be more helpful if you cited a source or statistics instead of "well that's what I heard". This time though (for once) I'm not ragging you, I honestly think that's likely to be skewed analysis. cheers, LL

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

Respond to this message   
Lee Griffin
(Login leegee_77)
HyperScale Forums

Right, like I said, it's something I've heard, but it could be complete BS...

July 6 2012, 4:52 PM 

...and I'm inclined to disbelieve it. It's probably something conconcted by a pro-tobacco lobby or something. Personally, I think that quitting tobacco is the lowest hanging of all fruit in making society as a whole healthier. Over-eating probably causes more problems overall, but that's a much tougher one to tackle.

Cheers,

Lee G.

This message has been edited by leegee_77 from IP address 199.72.20.10 on Jul 6, 2012 4:55 PM

Respond to this message   
Leonard LaRoux
(Login neoteepo)
HyperScale Forums

yeh it's bad stuff alright but, although an extremely unpopular thought...

July 6 2012, 6:19 PM 

the removal of alcohol (potable that is) would likely remove more destruction,pain and misery from the earth. Never fly though. cheers, LL

Respond to this message   
Phil Brandt
(Login bondo455)
HyperScale Forums

I dunno.......

July 7 2012, 9:43 AM 

Working as a teenager in my family's large Pittsburgh funeral home in the 50s, I got to see deceased smokers of many ages. Our embalmer, Elmer, would come into work (in his shiny, black Coupe deVille) at 0730 and cough his lungs out in the garage for about ten minutes. Then he'd resume smoking his unfiltered Luckies. Elmer lived to eighty-five, and we used to joke that his lungs had been pre-embalmed by all the formaldehyde body cavity powder he had breathed in for decades... happy.gif

Phil
As we used to say, "Remember, I'll be the last to let'cha down!"

Respond to this message   

Bruno
(Login BrunoSchielzeth)
HyperScale Forums

Not worth the time to respond. But just because you don't like something

July 6 2012, 4:37 PM 

doesn't make it wrong, illegal, or taxable to the max. I don't like green peas, chicken gizzards, or avocados so that gives me the right to tax them, shoot those that like them, or ban them completely? It must be nice to have that much power over a legal personal choice of others.

[linked image] Illegitimi non carborundum
In memory of Denis Keegan.

Respond to this message   
Leonard LaRoux
(Login neoteepo)
HyperScale Forums

well you could consider that smoking is easily proven to....

July 6 2012, 4:41 PM 

be an enormous burden on the rest of us. Second hand smoke is proven to cause illness and harm to others; where's their freedom of choice? Blowing up bridges is a possible "choice" also but I doubt you consider that an "individual right". just sayin', LL

Respond to this message   
Mike West
(Login ResinPrince)
HyperScale Forums

Blowin up bridges is against the Law

July 6 2012, 5:01 PM 

Smoking for now is not.

Respond to this message   
Leonard LaRoux
(Login neoteepo)
HyperScale Forums

let me get this straight, you're sayin' I can't blow up bridges!!!? lol, cheers, Len,nt

July 6 2012, 6:21 PM 

lkj;lk

Respond to this message   

Bruno
(Login BrunoSchielzeth)
HyperScale Forums

For what it's worth, living is an enormous burden on all of us.

July 6 2012, 5:11 PM 

We could save so much money if everyone just died at age 6. Fast food, salt, liquor, fatty meats, mushrooms, chips, bacon, mercury tainted fish are all bad for us. In most parts of the world even the very air is bad for us. The fact is that the moment you are born you start to die. If I chose to drink good wine, enjoy a cigarette in my own home, and eat the fat on a pork chop is no one else's concern. It's not illegal. I don't smoke in restaurants. I don't guzzle cheap booze and drive. What I do at home in my free time is up to me. The fact is that I'd love to start a bar in town that made it illegal NOT to smoke inside of it! Non-smokers would be fined for walking into the place. I could sell bacon, bacon, and cheese sandwiches and sell cheap beer by the pitcher full. I'd supply free taxi rides home since all patrons would have to pass a breathalyzer test before they got their keys back, and they had better not be sober or I would fine them for not drinking.

I smoke. I drink. I own guns, and know how to use them effectively. I like crispy pork chops and bacon. And I will fight anyone that says I can't enjoy any of them in my own home.

You don't like smokers? Fine. Don't come over to my house because I smoke. I don't care. It's no skin off my back. I'll be happy and you'll be happy. And we can all go on with life.

[linked image] Illegitimi non carborundum
In memory of Denis Keegan.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

To post a new message, simply press the "Post An Article" button. If you are posting a message or replying for the first time you will need to create a Network 54 login and regsiter for the Forum.

To read a message, click on that message in the list. You will see the message and the following thread, and then have the choice of reading the remaining messages or replying to the original message.

free counters