The Geographique using Calibre 929 with 24 time zones, power reserve watch was first introduced in 1990. The patented selection-crown mechanism was fitted to the Master Geographic in 1996 which enabled the wearer to simply turn the crown to drive the corresponding city disc.
(The Pink Gold harmonised Master Geographic)
The existing Master Geographic is a useful and user-friendly simple complication with date and power reserve which has proven itself in its reliability, sturdiness, precision and value. the 2006 Master Geographic gave it a frest contemporary look with the following changes:
(1) It is now 40mm in diameter, still a little too small for my taste but should please the conservative die hard classic fan. Overall much better looking, although the new Master World Geographic is my preferred aesthetic choice now.
(2) There is now two Day/Night indicators, one for the local time at 2 o'clock and another for the reference time at around 7 o'clock with 24 hour indicator.
(The Local Day/Night Indicator)
(The reference Day/Night Indicator)
(3) Summer time is now clearly marked, linked to its respective city in blue letter "S".
(4) An international Date Line indicator in the city disc (not always visible)
(5) Applied gold numerals and hour-markers,. The characteristic Master numerals (3, 9 & 12) now appear on the BEZEL RING.
(6) Red colour for the reference city marker, end of the power reserve, privileged time zone pointer and the end of month date "31"
(The Stainless Steel harmonised Master Geographic)
For the last 10 years, Master Geographic continues to be the bread and butter top seller of the Master Range and has been one of the strongest non-novelty model for the Manufacture.
2006 is the year when Master Geographic is first restyled (what JLC termed internally as harmonisation), it also marks the completion of the quiet 100% transformation process to autotractorised (autotractor is also an internal JLC term) movements across the product range. (For previous discussions on autotractor in 2004, see http://www.network54.com/Forum/234648/message/1078680164/In+search+of+the+perfect+movement%2C+Autotractor+first+used+in+Home+Time+and+Dualmatic%21
Specifications supplied by JLC
Manufacture Jaeger-LeCoultre, Calibre 937. Mechanical automatic movement, crafted, assembled and decorated by hand. 28,800vph, 43-hour power reserve, 38 jewels, 307 parts, 4.9mm thick.
Hours, minutes, sweep seconds, date, power reserve, Day/Night indicator linked to reference time chosen from the 24-city disc with 24 hour indication.
Crown at 3 o'clock serves to:
- Wind the watch if it has not been worn for over 43 hours.
- Set local time (a movement that also drives the hour change in the 2nd time zone)
- synchronise local time and the second time zone.
Crown at 10 o'clock serves to:
- Display the chosen city at 6 o'clock and automatically display the hour there in the 2nd time-zone subdial.
Corrector at 2 o'clock serves to:
- Adjust the date
- correct date after months with less than 31 days.
(The Stainless Steel Master Geographic, with bracelet)
silvered, applied rhodium-plated gold numerals and hour-markers. 2 luminescent dots.
Pink Gold version:
silvered, applied gold-plated gold numerals and hour-markers. 2 luminiecent dots.
Hours and minutes
Alpha in gold-plated or rhodium plated brass, luminescent
blue-varnished gold-plated or rhodium-plated brass.
40mm diameter, cambered sapphire crystal, hardness No.9, sapphire crystal case-back revealing the movement.
Water resistant to 50M
Pink Gold and Stainless Steel
Matt chestnut brown or chocolate brown alligator leather, 20/16 steel or 18-carat pink gold folding clasp.
Steel bracelet available with steel model, equipped with adjustable strap.
Soon, a brief look at Master World Geographic