<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Anxiously waiting on new arrival

November 27 2006 at 3:16 PM

J. Chandler Hall  (Login jchandlerhall)

Hey Purists!

I have enjoyed my first serious watch purchase earlier this year almost every day. It is the Master Control Geographic SS, 142.8.92, the 929/3 caliber, sizing in at just over 38mm.

I have just around a 6" wrist, small for a man, I know. Recently in NYC, I was able to try on a Master Reveil and some other brands as well. I was surprised how much larger just a single mm or two made the watch appear on my arm and quickly realized I won't be happy with the larger case 'trends of late'.

I fell in love with this watch and have worried about getting a perpetual that is below 40mm, so I asked around and one of my ADs located a Master Perpetual, black dial, SS...old stock still in inventory, he says.

I haven't seen the black dial in person, so having it shipped to me for review. I hope that I cannot turn it away and will therefore have to keep it. The watch was just serviced at MJLC ealier this year as it was (supposedly) purchased from another dealer after I requested to purchase one. (I have been looking for one of these for several months now.)

If I don't love this enough to keep it, I will settle for a MUT WG and maybe a Reverso Duo. The perpetual will have to wait another day, maybe then.

Would you recommend that I try to get the Master report for a watch that is potentially years old, but supposedly not sold/worn?
Best regards, Chandler

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

watchme
(Login uwatchme)
AP Discussion Group

I HIGHLY recommend the Master Perpetual...

November 27 2006, 5:47 PM 

it is one of the pieces that I wish JLC hadn't discontinued. I wouldn't let that fact disuade you in any way, the watch itself is awesome! It has a single corrector and is only about 10mm thin. On a black strap, I think it borders on downright "sexy." On a brown croc, it is casual, but says, "I mean business." I doubt you'll want to give it up after you wear it for 24 hours.
-Dean

Respond to this message   
Elliot Easton
(Login ElliotEaston)

I'd go for the Reverso Duo

November 27 2006, 10:43 PM 

...on a shiny black or navy croc strap. I've got the Master Geo as well, and don't go for the larger 40mm dress watches either. The Duo makes a great compliment to the Geo, but really they're all great. The Duo looks amazing for dress and works fine for casual wear too. My Geo is the black dial and I have that one on the gloss honey croc. Very sporty, but also really cool with say, an Italian knit shirt, if you know what I mean... La Dolce Vita!

Respond to this message   

LPatrickP
(Login LPatrickP)

Elliot, which JLC would you wear

November 29 2006, 6:40 AM 

with this outfit? I am guessing a SS MC with a black leather strap! :>P

Respond to this message   
Elliot Easton
(Login ElliotEaston)

Re: Elliot, which JLC would you wear

November 29 2006, 10:11 PM 

The truth is Patrick, that in 1979 when that photo was taken, I wouldn't have known what a Jaeger LeCoultre watch was! That was half my life ago; I was 26 years old and now I am 52!!! Probably my idea of a fine watch, like most neophytes would have been a Rolex or a Tag!

Respond to this message   

LPatrickP
(Login LPatrickP)

I don't know what's worse.

November 30 2006, 7:36 PM 

Being able to afford something that gives you great pleasure and not knowing about it or knowing about one of life's great pleasures and not being able to afford it!

Respond to this message   
Elliot Easton
(Login ElliotEaston)

Re: I don't know what's worse.

November 30 2006, 10:11 PM 

I'd say the latter is much worse-ignorance is bliss! Did any of us know 26 tears ago what we know now?

Respond to this message   

J. Chandler
(Login jchandlerhall)

Tough choice. Liked it better in person than expected.

November 29 2006, 9:49 AM 

Well, now I am in a pickle. I was almost hoping that I wouldn't love the look, but I think it does look better in person than most Internet pictures (black dial, maybe too much glare reproduced).

Anyway, it looks great on my arm. Appears to be in excellent condition and if they accept my counter offer, I'll be wearing it proudly at our holiday party Friday night.

Respond to this message   
gverso
(Login gverso)

Well done ! That's truly a fantastic one to own. (nt)

November 30 2006, 5:20 AM 

Have a great time with it !

Would you have pictures to share with us ?

G

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page