<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Antique Atmos

November 30 2006 at 3:21 AM

cab0419  (Login cab0419)
PP Discussion Group

Someone on the general watch discussion forum suggested putting the following message here. I know that this is pre-JLC and it's a clock not a watch, but your input would be appreciated.

I have the opportunity to buy the following two Atmos clocks but can only afford one. Both are circa 1930. I have been considering purchasing an Atmos for several years but none of the newer styles stuck my fancy. I happened to see these two beauties on the same day at two different antique clock shops.

The first is signed Kirby, Beard & Co, Paris. I have been unable to see the serial number or reference number.

The second is signed Brevet JL Reutter, SGDG and is nr. 5496.

Both have recently been serviced by Atmos experts and are keeping excellent time. The asking price of the first is about 30% more expensive than the second.

From an aesthetic and technical standpoint, I'd like to hear your opinions about which you prefer.

Chris

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Clavi
(Login trueClavi)

I would go for the first one

November 30 2006, 4:30 AM 

From a technical standpoint they are I believe basically the same.
From a scarcity point of view, and from an aestetics point of view, I would definitely go for the glass domed one over the more common cube one.

So as far as collectibility is concerned, I believe you'd better go for the first one.

However, if you want to display it in your house and will pass by everyday, then you should probably choose whichever suits your tastes better, because in both cases you are already sure to have an outstanding clock, as none of the two will be a bad choice for sure.

Respond to this message   

watchme
(Login uwatchme)
AP Discussion Group

Agreed. The first one is one I've never seen, so rarity is key...

November 30 2006, 6:53 AM 

unless you simply don't like it.
-Dean

Respond to this message   
Clavi
(Login trueClavi)

Just to ad a bit

November 30 2006, 7:13 AM 

I have seen the first one, both "in person" and in pictures, so cab0419 can be reassured that this dome Reutter is completely genuine and not a one-off, though it is definitively a rare beast !

see a similar one here

and another one, which dome has probably been accidented at some point and replaced by a non original

As for the second one, I have seen many more of them, although it is still very rare compared to the total Atmos production which is well above half a million units !!!!

Respond to this message   

cab0419
(Login cab0419)
PP Discussion Group

Dome shape

November 30 2006, 9:53 AM 

From what little information that I can find, I believe that both ot the dome shapes in your photos are original.Thanks for you advice.

Chris

Respond to this message   
Sebastian
(Login Sebastian.G.Fritz)

I would probably have interest in the second one

November 30 2006, 5:13 AM 

Where have you seen it? If you go for the first, would you mind to send me an email with adress of the seller and his bid price?

Regards

Sebastian

Respond to this message   
christian
(Login numbers1234567890)

the first one - for shure - its fantastic (nt)

November 30 2006, 6:30 AM 

Respond to this message   
Clavi
(Login trueClavi)

Advert for your second model

December 2 2006, 6:19 AM 

I still prefer the dome version, but today I came across this vitage Atmos ad showing the second model you preseted, and thought you might be interested to see it.

Let us know what your final choice is !

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page