This is a PNGSCAPE site

The PNG North Queensland Board - for Papua New Guineans and friends of PNG to post announcements, discuss issues, ask questions or just say hi!!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to NQ Board  

Help to find cheap accommondation n part-time job in Townsville

December 10 2006 at 4:23 PM
No score for this post
milo 

Hello Friends

I am looking to pursue my studies with JCU. I may be staring in Feb 2007 and I am looking for cheap accommodation to stay in while studying in JCU. It will be my first time to study there and I'm looking for advice on how I can find a nice cheap place. Also can I find part-time work there?? I'm in POM and just got an offer to start there early 2007.

I will be a self-sponsored student so I don't know how I can managed it. Can someone give me a few pointers in finding a place, part-time jobs and living in Townsville??

Only possive comments needed plis?

Regards
Milo

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous

Re: Help to find cheap accommondation n part-time job in Townsville

No score for this post
December 10 2006, 5:54 PM 

Can't help yu with accommodation, but plenty of jobs as night fillers with Coles, Woolworths, Big W,Target, K-Mart. Just go online at respective web sites and fill out the application. Hours are generally from around 6.00pm to 12pm and you would be expectd to do 3 nightly shifts. Night filling is a great job as you have all day at uni/tafe and just do 3 night shifts.

Curious

No score for this post
December 10 2006, 10:57 PM 

What are the salaries like,is is enough to at least pay for weekly bills?

Anonymous

No score for this post
December 11 2006, 8:33 AM 

Depends on your age of course, but starting rate for an 19/20 year old is $14.50 per hour for the first 3 months and then goes up to around $15.50 per hour, higher rate if you are older. Of course tax is deducted, but mostly returned at the end of the financial year.

How much you earn depends on the hours you do, the minimum shifts is generally 3 per night. Most Australian uni/tafe students do this to supplement their incomes if they are living at home and those that are unable to claim student allowance if independent. It is a tough life for some Aussie students that need to work and support themselves at the same.

Most overseas students are allowed to work up to 25 hours of part time work a week.

SuperMech99

No score for this post
December 10 2006, 11:42 PM 

First of all, I don't think your student visa will allow you to work, confirm this first.

Salary wise for those night filler jobs, you might be looking at probably $10-15.00/hour, I think there is some flexibilies with Unis down here so you can manage to work and do your studies, don't know much but some Uni students here will shed some light.

As far as accomodation, I think you can find some place cheaply but most I know are around $150.00-$250.00/week.
Again some people who live in Townsville can help you here.

Sometime it is all about jumping the first hurdle and then you will count your blessings.

All the best mate

Anonymous

No score for this post
December 11 2006, 8:36 AM 

Most overseas students are allowed to work up to 25 hours per work part time work to supplement their incomes, but of course working for cash does allow u to work extra hours, but generally you will be underpaid and have no allowances.

T

No score for this post
January 1 2007, 4:18 PM 

i've also been accepted at jcu and i read that u wont automatically be allowed to work and once u've started school u need to apply for a work permit thing and as said u can only work 20 hrs a week unless ur a phD or masters student, which will allow u to work for unlimited hours. sorry im not firmiliar with the jobs so i cant say anything else.

milo

No score for this post
December 11 2006, 11:42 AM 

Is there any cheap bedsitters around??

milo

Anonymous

No score for this post
December 11 2006, 1:23 PM 

I'm sure there are, but you need to get hold of the local paper to check it out, seems no-one is around to reply to your request.

If you are making your way to Townsville and you haven't secured any accommodation and are not receiving any help, you may like to book into some backpapers temporary accommodation until you secure something permanent.

Most private accomodation require at least 2 weeks up front rent and generally 2 weeks bond.

The Uni/Tafe generally have a notice board, but that doesn't help you at this stage.

Anyway, there are some cheap backpackers or even caravan parks around until you get your feet on the ground.

Hopefully someone in Townsville will help you out.

http://www.totaltravel.com.au/travel/qld/townsvillearea/townsville/directory/hostels

Anonymous

No score for this post
January 1 2007, 9:39 PM 

Couple at the West End, Heatly and North Ward for students going at $130 - $150. Try contacting the following Real Estate Agents for more

Devine
MetroCity Reality &
Richardson & Wrench Paddington

This site should bring you straight to the advertised homes for rent however keep in mind the udpates online are at most times terribly out of date.

Regards & like someone else said earlier the first time is a little hurdle you just need to jump over the rest are Blessings for you to reap off once you're all settled in.

Good luck in your studies.

Anonymous

Following is the site address

No score for this post
January 1 2007, 9:39 PM 

Current Topic - Help to find cheap accommondation n part-time job in Townsville
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to NQ Board