Please visit The Loom's Sticks and Stones Hairsticks page! The best place for totally custom sticks!!
 Return to Index  

Removing henna professionally

August 25 2004 at 5:05 PM
Shawn  (Login shwankie)

Response to Terrible herbal/henna experience. Please help!

I am sorry to hear that the henna didn't go as you'd hoped

Due to a sudden family situation and an insane work schedule (I do mehendi for a living, and summer is the busy season), I needed to have the color removed from my hair. I went to my regular stylist, who is a wizard. First, I should warn you that this can be *expensive.* I work out of the salon doin henna, so get a steep discount--otherwise, I'd probably be in some form of indentured servitude right now.

He used a color stripper made from fruit extracts. Bleach stippers should never be used on henna'd hair, as they open the cuticle and actually push the dye deeper. All stippers do that to an extent, but the fruit ones do it to a much lesser degree and are far easier on your hair. He then color corrected my hair for a final peachy color that was actually quite lovely. Over the next 3 months, we used the same type of stripper once a month. Color was corrected at my roots to match the previously-henna'd hair. There is only one color brand he was willing to use on the hair (he'd called all of the companies) for fear of mineral salts or other reactants. Also, deep conditioners were used after every stripper. And, I used coconut oil and herbal vinegar rinses to help keep it strong and shiny.

It's been three months, and my hair is only now back to it's original color. The peach is pretty well gone, and I am back to my natural blonde color (see below). You want to make sure you get a good stylist that is willing to do some research. You can't get the fruit-type strippers yourself unless you're a licensed beautician, so I don't recommend trying to get the color out on your own. The other caveat is that if your hair is naturally dark, it'll need to be stripped and then dyed darker again.

While I had my hair henna'd, chamomile and white vinegar did lighten it, as well.

I am glad you're gradually getting used to your new color, though, and sometimes it just takes a while to do that. Large changes are often the most difficult for the one that makes them, and perhaps this bold new color will grow on you.

Good luck with everything.

Length: 31" Type: 1aFi/ii
Waist length, stick straight, fine, lots of slip. White/platinum blonde, henna'd to deep copper.

Products: Prabda henna, Biolage line, John Frieda Sheer Blonde Kelp conditioning masque.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Special thanks to: Background Labs for our background!