Please visit The Loom's Sticks and Stones Hairsticks page! The best place for totally custom sticks!!
 Return to Index  

Hair Feels "Sticky"

May 28 2017 at 12:20 AM

Jules  (Login CrowningGlory)

In the past year I've experienced a problem with my hair after washing. I'm not sure how to explain this but every time I do a full wash (usually on Saturday morning) my hair feels kind of 'sticky' for a day or two afterwards. It's not pleasant. In fact, I dread combing it or doing anything with it. As if super fluffy hair after washing isn't bad enough.

I'm trying to determine the cause/s:

Shampoo? I use the same shampoo for scalp washes and I don't have this problem.

Conditioner? I wondered if it was the culprit and changed conditioners but I don't think it is. Mainly because the hair on my scalp is worse than my length and I rarely put conditioner on my scalp.

ACV? Maybe except again I don't have the same problem when doing a scalp wash.

Hard water? Again, why would it not be a problem when I scalp wash?

Drying technique? I air dry after scalp washes and full washes, the only difference being that I bun it after a scalp wash so it takes longer to dry. I do, however, use a microfibre hair turban that I lined with an old t-shirt after a full wash.

I'm wondering about using a diluted citric acid rinse to neutralise the hard water and see if it makes a difference. Oiling beforehand or not at all doesn't seem to make a difference. A good going over with a BBB once my hair is dry seems to make it less 'sticky', so I'm thinking it has to be something that is deposited in my hair during the washing process - either shampoo, ACV, or minerals in our water.

Anyone else have this problem or can offer some insight?
updated%2Bsiggy3.jpg

Hair Journey Began June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Natural Colour: Mid-Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays); fringe/bangs (which I am always in the process of growing some out).
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38" while dreaming of classic
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.)
Estimated Date: Mid 2017 for tailbone and then maintenance/beautification programme begins.

Current Routine
CWA: C = condition the length; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo or shampoo bars; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Favourite Products: locally bought shampoo bars; A'kin shampoo; cone-free conditioners; avocado, olive, almond and coconut oils.
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.
Latest Experiment: Washing with rye flour shampoo

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

My Author Website

On Eagles' Wings (My Blog)

My Method for Scalp Washes

Respond to this message   
Responses

Special thanks to: Background Labs for our background!