Please visit The Loom's Sticks and Stones Hairsticks page! The best place for totally custom sticks!!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

How do you sleep with wet hair?

August 25 2003 at 8:37 PM
ElizaJane  (no login)

I need ideas on how to sleep with a wet head of hair!!! I wash my hair in the evenings, and have been braiding it, but I wake up with all these waves and curls on the ends!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

wuv and hwugs,
ElizaJane

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
AmandaPanda
(no login)

Hmmm...

August 25 2003, 10:34 PM 

So, you don't want waves or curls?

I don't suggest braiding when wet anyway. I've tried it- very bad. I woke up with a lot of "white dots" in my hair, and breakage.

You might want to try a high bun? But, that would give you big waves.
You could always comb them out, since your hair would most likely still be wet when you get up.

Respond to this message   
ElizaJane
(no login)

slight waves are fine,just not those tight ringlettes!!

August 25 2003, 10:57 PM 

I get those by braiding!

Respond to this message   
ElizaJane
(no login)

Thanks, Amanda Panda!

August 26 2003, 3:26 PM 

A high bun sounds great, but doesn't that get in the way of the headboard?

wuv n hwugs,
Elizajane

Respond to this message   
AmandaPanda
(no login)

ok...

August 26 2003, 3:49 PM 

How far back do you sleep with your head on your pillow?
It shouldn't get in the way (it doesn't get in my way).

If it does, just move your pillow further away.

Respond to this message   
Eliza Jane
(no login)

AmandaPanda!

August 26 2003, 3:55 PM 

That's right, how silly of me! I guess the claw clips are another reason I don't do high buns becuase they get tangled up in my hair!!

Thanks!
wuvnhwugs,
ElizaJane

Respond to this message   
AmandaPanda
(no login)

Yeah...

August 26 2003, 10:14 PM 

I don't care for them, either.
I only use them in the shower, to hold my hair out of the way.
I have never tried to wear them to bed. They pull too much.

I suggest using a scrunchie in your hair for bedtime

Respond to this message   
parslie
(no login)

I'm new to this.. but this is my idea..

August 25 2003, 11:58 PM 

Can you dampen the ends slightly if you don't find a better solution? If I dampen my ends and comb them out, I can usually somewhat tame a funky 'do..

Respond to this message   
ElizaJane
(no login)

What to do advice for wet hair when sleeping is mainly

August 26 2003, 12:06 AM 

What I'm looking for so that I can avoid the braiding process altogether because of the damage braiding could cause.Thanks, anyhow!!!

What DO all you long haired people do with your hair at bedttime? I tried to sleep with it loose last night and it got caught underneath my husbands arm and when I got up and pulled it practically out of my head I decided to get some "professional" advice from real live long haired people.I would so greatly appreciate your imput. Sleeping with loose hair is a dangerous gamble!!LOL!!

ElizaJane

Respond to this message   
parslie
(no login)

ohh.. duh!

August 26 2003, 12:59 AM 

Well, I tried

I just sleep with mine in a bun or two secured with small claws...

Respond to this message   
-Roni
(Login -Roni)

Loose bun with scrunchie not too tight...

August 26 2003, 1:53 AM 

and tie a scarf around my head.If I'm using oils,I have a heavy duty towel on my pillow,and I have also invested in plastic pillow cases,too,much to my DH's dismay.Now,that my sinus infections are back in season,I don't know what I'm going to do about the wet hair situation at night now?

Respond to this message   
ElizaJane
(no login)

Thanks, Roni

August 26 2003, 3:33 PM 

I doubt if the scarf would stay five minutes the way I toss and turn. Great advice.

wuvnhwugs,
Elizajane

Respond to this message   
ElizaJane
(no login)

Thanks, Parslie

August 26 2003, 3:31 PM 

The high bun seems to reign around here!!LOL!!

wuv n hwugs,
Elizajane

Respond to this message   
ElizaJane
(no login)

HI Parslie-

August 26 2003, 3:58 PM 

I like the idea of the high bun. Isn't there another way to secure the bun, other then the claw clips? My scrunhie, how could I use that?

Thanks

wuvnhwugs,
ElizaJane

Respond to this message   

parslie
(Login parslie)

Claws are the best for me..

August 26 2003, 11:04 PM 

They are comfy and they hold the best.. but there was a post on the other board about bunning and I can't remember what all the rec's for holding it were, besides scrunchies.. hmm..

Just getting started..
2aNii
25 3/4

Respond to this message   

Fox
(Premier Login pictures)
Forum Owner

I try to wash earlier in the evening to leave drying time....

August 26 2003, 3:13 AM 

If you braid when your hair is nearly dry, and do it verly loosely, you shouldn't have very many waves. You could spritz with water to remove any extra waves you might get.

High buns work similarly, but the fact is, any style done on wet hair, will product some sort of "set."

You might want to try putting your hair up in a satin sleeping cap. I'm just afriad it probably won't dry well that way though. If you don't have anywhere to go first thing in the morning, I imagine air drying would not take long.

You can also take satin scrunchies, and put them down the length of your hair. It keeps your hair contained, yet basically straight. I believe that Equestrian uses this method for sleeping with long hair, although I don't know if she's ever done it with wet hair.

I'm not much help, am I!

-Fox

17/34.75/35+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery collection link found here:
Forever Fox

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Nature's Gate Conditioners (As well as Forest Pure, another brand made by the makers of Nature's Gate)
Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils

Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements

Respond to this message   
ElizaJane
(no login)

Yes, you've helped, however, you didn't say

August 26 2003, 3:09 PM 

how you slept with YOUR hair!! I mean even dry, how do you keep it contained? Thanks for your replies, Fox.

EJ

Respond to this message   

Fox
(Premier Login pictures)
Forum Owner

So sorry!

August 27 2003, 4:45 AM 

Sometimes I forget that everyone doesn't know how I wear my hair to sleep! I wear it loosely braided. I don't secure the ends. It tends to stay just fine. I have waves and curls naturally, so braiding is never a problem for me. When I first found the boards I used a stain sleeping bonnet too. It just became uncomfortable to me, so I went to braiding and sleeping on a satin pillowcase. This has worked best for me.

Before the boards I wore it loose and slept on cotton. I don't think that was good for my hair. I think it is possible to sleep with loose hair if your hair can be draped above you on your pillow, or over the end of the bed (or pillow area), like Martine does. Satin cases keeps a nice, slippery surface for hair to glide over. Less resistance is much better on your hair cuticle.

-Fox

17/34.75/35+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery collection link found here:
Forever Fox

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Nature's Gate Conditioners (As well as Forest Pure, another brand made by the makers of Nature's Gate)
Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils

Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements

Respond to this message   

Leia
(Login Leia9)

I don't sleep with it WET, but sometimes damp...

August 26 2003, 5:29 AM 

And then I will do a loose braid or a bun secured with mini claws. On normal days when my hair is dry, I braid it (sometimes a French/Dutch braid, but mostly a normal 3-strand). When I don't have time and am really tired I won't secure the ends, but my hair is almost loose in the morning, though it's still easy to comb out.

I hope this helps a little! By the way, your "wuv and hwugs" is so cute!

Love,
~*Leia*~

2bNiii
18/26.1/35? (tailbone)
First goal: Waist length by December 2003 (around 28" on me)
Second goal: Tailbone by June 2004
Bangs at 11 inches

Only a few layers left!

CWC Method, sometimes with a pre-wash oiling of Extra Virgin Olive Oil or heated Coconut Oil

Only using a comb as a detangler, and a Mason Pearson BBB to stimulate the scalp.

Respond to this message   
ElizaJane
(no login)

Leia, great advice, thanks!

August 26 2003, 3:36 PM 

Buy the way, how do you braid other than the regular way? I thought there was only two ways, french and American.

wuvnhwugs,
Elizajane

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Special thanks to: Background Labs for our background!