Please visit The Loom's Sticks and Stones Hairsticks page! The best place for totally custom sticks!!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Pro's and Cons of Hair types.

January 18 2007 at 5:23 PM

Sigmund  (Login Cympreni)

Since we all have hair envy with each other from time to time. I thought It would be nice if everyone listed the pros and cons of their hair type.

Pros: On a good hair day, the possiblities are astronomical. I can turn heads, make everyone want to run out and get a perm, people stop me on the street just to compliment/ask about my hair, alot of people can resist playing with it. I can frequently just get out of bed with decent enough hair to leave the house with. Bad hair days can be quickly disguised with a few simple updos

Cons: on a bad hair day, Im an advertisement for a straight iron, all those bad frizz pictures you've ever seen, and I have had days like that. some of my pro's can also be cons, complete strangers playing with my hair without my permission all the time is quite annoying and causes frizz. There is alot of social pressure to straighten, no matter how nice my hair looks. My hair tangles easily and alot, is prone to dryness and frizz. My hair is vulnerable to weather conditions. can be inconsistant to styling, what works one day wont the next, I like to call curly hair an experiment in controlled chaos. and it is impossible for me to have a even hairline, or a neat updo, no matter what I always have little bumbs and hairs sticking out. More handling = more frizz, so if I don't get an updo within 1 or 2 attempts then I pretty much have to rewash and start over again

so what are everyone else's?

This message has been edited by Cympreni on Jan 20, 2007 9:33 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

MrsEl
(Login MrsEl)

This is a great question!

January 18 2007, 6:59 PM 

I think this will be one of those "classic threads" that we all want to look back on and re-read from time to time. Perhaps it will eventually find a home among the links in the library? (Hint, hint. )

My hair type is fine, thin and straight.

Pros:
It can be very smooth and sleek, and I've been told it feels like silk. It doesn't tangle at all when I've been keeping it trimmed either. Plus it's not heavy at all when I wear it up...less strain on the scalp I suppose. (?) (Note, these pros are when my hair is natural...not so much since I've been using chemicals on it. But that's another story...)

Cons:
Any and all flyaways are painfully obvious. Also, it tends to slip out of updos very easily. And, because it is so fine/thin, it tends to be very limp and "lifeless". Plus, it seems to get "greasy" fast. Generally, I feel like I have more bad hair days than good.

I'm looking forward to reading what others post.

~MrsEl~

Some recent changes....

1aFii

Bottle Blondes Board

Women of Faith Fellowship

Respond to this message   

Fox
(Premier Login pictures)
Owner

Hint received! (nm)

January 18 2007, 10:42 PM 

-Fox

Special thanks to Carlynn for my custom doll signature!
17/35/40+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), Hennaed Auburn. F.L.A. Ranking, Colonel. To see more pictures, click on the gallery collection link found here: Forever Fox

Want custom sticks? Please visit: Sticks and Stones, Hairsticks by Fox

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

"Love makes you beautiful" - quote from my nephew at age 7

Products Used:

Ida's Shampoo Bars

Aubrey Organics S&C
Nature's Gate Conditioners

Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils
Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)

MP Popular Mix Brush and Pure BB brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements

Respond to this message   

MrsEl
(Login MrsEl)

Lol!

January 19 2007, 1:38 AM 

I hope that wasn't too forward of me.

~MrsEl~

Some recent changes....

1aFii

Bottle Blondes Board

Respond to this message   

Fox
(Premier Login pictures)
Owner

Nope! Feedback is what I need to hear! (nm)-

January 19 2007, 2:02 AM 

-Fox

17/35/40+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), Hennaed Auburn. F.L.A. Ranking, Colonel. To see more pictures, click on the gallery collection link found here: Forever Fox

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:

Ida's Shampoo Bars

Aubrey Organics S&C

Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils

Wood and Horn combs

Respond to this message   

Schnauzer Mom
(Login SchnauzerMom)

Interesting

January 18 2007, 7:55 PM 

I will look forward to reading about every one's hair.  My hair is fine, thin and slightly wavy.

Pros:  Soft, shiny, dries fast, no headaches from up-dos

Cons:  Slippery, up-dos don't stay in very well without lots of bobby pins, buns and braids are really small because of the thinness.

SchnauzerMom
1b/F/ii
start 16/21/30
For the earth is the Lord's, and all it contains. 1 Corinthians 10:26
Routine:
Conditioner/Wash/Conditioner with VO5 Extra Body Conditioner and VO5 Regular Shampoo, do this every 3 days.

Respond to this message   

Fox
(Premier Login pictures)
Owner

I have a mixed hair type

January 18 2007, 10:42 PM 

Pros: Since I have both waves and curls, what isn't very curly curls easily with rollers. I don't need heat or even lots of time. I can wear it more curly or more straight depending on what I do. For the most part I feel I have good hair days. It's easy to camouflage a bad one.

Cons: If I bun wet hair or even roll it my hair goes crazy! Frizz city and little curl. I do tend to have fuzzy hair at times due to curl pattern and the way the hair cuticle lays.

-Fox

Products Used:

Ida's Shampoo Bars

Aubrey Organics S&C

Vinegar/herbal rinses

Wood and Horn combs

Respond to this message   
mermayd
(no login)

Pros/Cons of my 2b hair

January 19 2007, 12:41 AM 

hmmm, lets see.

Pros: The curly/wavies tend to hide splits and damage (I see the damage much more when my hair is having a straight day), you don't see the greasies as quickly, perfect hemlines aren't as important, people comment they'd love to have my waves, updos tend to stay and don't slip out easily, curls stay with no effort or products.

Cons: It has a mind of its own. I hate the poof around the temples. Sometimes it just looks unkempt and messy, not entirely wavy or entirely curly, just messy sometimes. Tendency is to either straighten more or curl more. Neither want to stay.

mermayd

Respond to this message   
helane
(no login)

well...

January 19 2007, 2:22 AM 

i have fine/medium hair with a bit of wave in it. after henna it is more straight and thicker but still too small for 3" barretess.

on the positive side: very fast drying (usually and hour max.), take rollers very well and keep the curls/volume very long without any products, not too heavy when long
BUT
negative - "flat" fast and it is easy to overdo any product... need frequent washing to keep them not looking greasy

Respond to this message   
Rainbows_
(no login)

1a/1b ii M

January 19 2007, 3:48 AM 

Pros
1. great for being lazy no let me say fantastic

2. brush and go

3. takes little time

4. i appreciate that i dont have to fight with it to get it to look good

5. looks tidy when i wake up, brusing dosnt even make a difference some days

6. looks great 95% of the time

7. looks great with layers/style - perfect for styling

Cons
1. Have to comb when damp/wet to make sure hair drys stick straight otherwise ill have a bump or 2

2. No body at the top, just kind of lays flat

3. wish i had some movement going on

4. ot gets boring

5. curls dont stay in

6. not the most glamoures of styles

7. looks awful when it gets greasey

8. have to wash it more often, to keep it looking bouncey and not flat

Respond to this message   

Leia
(Login Leia9)

Great idea!

January 19 2007, 5:55 AM 

My hair is thick and quite wavy, classic length.

Pros
The thickness allows it to look nice whether it's down or in a bun or in a braid, and I get lots of compliments. It curls easily. Keeps me warm when I leave it down! Is very easy to put up into an updo; isn't slippery at all and stays put all day most of the time.

Cons
I can't leave it down very often. The length gets in my way and I am always worried about tangles, which I didn't get so much at shorter lengths. It gets really frizzy in humidity and wind. Sometimes I feel that when I leave it down, it bunches up slightly, if that makes any sense!

Love,
~*Leia*~

Pic from December 2006

2bMiii
Current length: 42" on November 3, 2006

Growing since January 2003; found TLHL at the end of June 2003 and was at 25". I am 5'4.5".

Leia's Journal

Last Updated: September 23, 2006

Respond to this message   

Nienor
(Login NienorNiniel)
The Princess Palace

Lots of good replies

January 19 2007, 8:27 AM 

I have a pretty generic hair type, I think, so there's nothing in particular to say about it. But I'll try to come up with something!

My hair is moderately thick, medium coarseness, and quite straight. It is an inch or two past classic. (YAY!)

Pros: it's thick enough to cover my shoulders and back when I spread it out, which I like. I don't tangle any more easily than the average person, and my hair is not too fine or too coarse, so it has enough grip without being cumbersome. It holds curl well, I think- When I sleep in a bun I wake up with a lot of fun body, and braid waves stay very well. I am blessed to get a lot of compliments. I think this is because my hair is very shiny and thick when I use honey, and the fact that it is straight makes it seem every longer.

Cons: classic is my hardest length so far. At tailbone I could sit on it, but I have now reached the point where I can't comfortably wear my hair down unless I plan ahead. People get stuck in it!
Day two or three hair doesn't usually have enough grip to stay well in a bun. Also, because braid waves stay in my hair so resolutely, I can't often wear my hair down after I've had braids in because of the ugly straight bit at the bottom!

Overall, I love my current hair.

36/44.5/42
Routine- In search of an upgrade to organic
Wash every other night with Suave Naturals shampoo. I dilute my Suave Naturals conditioner with crystalized honey, aloe vera gel, and tapwater.
ACV with infused nettle and chamomile and EOs of Pep'mint and Lavender once every week or two.
1bNiii

Respond to this message   

Juliet
(Login juliet17)

Re: Pro's and Cons of Hair types.

January 19 2007, 9:51 AM 

I'm a 2c C iii

Pros: er...uhm ....er..... well, there is a lot of it, that's the only pro I can find!

Cons: dry, frizzy, messy, untidy, wiry, 4 hours to dry, breaks easily, hardly ever a good hair day, difficult to straighten, curls not defined, updos dfficult because thick but not long enough.

(LONDON)

03 Sept. 2004 (Hampstead Heath - London)

Finally at Waist! 29 May 2006

2c - C - iii

14" (31May2004) / 30"-Waist by March 2006 / whatever length by July 2008
Currently at waist (reached nearly 3 months later than expected)

Shampoos: Aubrey Organics - Honeysuckle rose, Rosa Mosqueta; GPB
Conditioners: AO Honeysuckle rose, Rosa Mosqueta, GPB;
Leave-ins: Shea Butter, A mix of oils + rose EO;
Oils: Jojoba, Coconut, Almond, Monoi Pitate and Pitanie;
EOs: Scalp massage with Cedarwood or Rosemary;
Horn and wooden combs, Mason Pearson pure BBB.

"Without religion, no morality; without morality, no law." - Lord Denning

Juliet's Long Hair Vow - Updated 2 August 2006

Respond to this message   

MrsEl
(Login MrsEl)

But Juliet.....

January 19 2007, 11:48 AM 

Your hair is so gorgeous!

~MrsEl~

Some recent changes....

1aFii

Bottle Blondes Board

Respond to this message   
Miriel
(no login)

1bFii for me...

January 19 2007, 10:22 AM 

I have fine, straight hair, but a reasonable amount of it.
Pros: The thing I like best about hair like mine is that when it's very clean but well conditioned, completely tangle free, and worn down, it's really shiny and you can see lots of colors in it. And when you whip it around, it moves as a unit (like a curtain) and looks rich and expensive, as the light catches it at so many angles.

Cons: Most of the time, the conditions for enjoying my hair are mutually exclusive. It's often either too dry or too conditioned after I wash it. It's hard to wear it up when it's clean, because it's so slick, but if I wear it down, it frequently ends up with huge tangles. And whipping hair around is not always a great idea, especially if it's in a ponytail...it feels like thousands of tiny whips hitting the face.

Respond to this message   

bryndis
(Login TawnyFire)

well . . .

January 19 2007, 11:09 AM 

I have fine hair with an ever so slight wave, and overall thickness is probably moderate. My dream hair type would be Celuriel's pic from the links page here, and long enough to do two classic length braids http://longhairloom.com/hairlinks.html" sigh my hair is just too fine. I can't think of too many pros, but here's my lists:

PROS:
Barring tangles, it's pretty much wash-n-go. i.e. low maintenance. I get up, brush/ comb and put up. When my bangs were short (eyebrow level) they would often be every which way when I woke up or after removing my helmets (horseback riding and medieval armored combat).

The slight wave gives it a timy bit of fullness/ body, but not much.

Holds "curl" for a little. Like after taking out 2-3 damp braids or a couple rope braids (the latter gives me a few large ringlets).

CONS:
Tangles wicked easy, so I don't wear it loose much anymore though I really like to. :-/

Braids are much thinner than I would like.

Very slippery. I have to put scrunchies in tighter than I would like. I get an indent at the bottom where my braids are tied off. Toys don't tend to stay in -- hair slides, barrettes, jaw clips, etc.

Takes forever to dry. Like, hours. Even now that I am currently in a dry environment.

Gets really frizzy the first 24hrs or so after washing or when humidity increases. This seems to increase tangles.

When it gets greasy, it is very noticable, though I am working at going longer between scalp washes. Am up to about every 4-5 days.

~Bryndis

35"/35"/Classic Braid; 1b/F/ii-iii
CWC or scalp wash as needed, usually every 3-4 days.
Have used Nature's Gate original formula shampoo & conditioner for years.
Trying Ida's bars and acid (lemon) rinse.
Latest experiment is adding honey and oil to the conditioner.
Playing with various oils/ butters as money allows to see what my hair likes.
HairSense "bone" comb and a wooden brush (can't remember brand)
Will update this as I go!

This message has been edited by TawnyFire on Jan 19, 2007 11:15 AM

Respond to this message   

Velvet Cat
(Login VelvetCat)

2c/3aMCiii pros/cons

January 19 2007, 1:21 PM 

PROS:

once detangled, it stays that way unless it's being moved by wind or the like.

due to its mercurial nature, I can go mostly straight or curly rather easily.

Looks good in updos for thickness.

very resilient, it can take lots of damage and not really show it so much

CONS:

updos slide due to weight unless secured well, and then it's prone to pulling on just a few hairs causing pain

frizzes easily

curls are not defined

after a day, all curls will be lost into a general waviness.

hair is not super soft unless I over condition, and then it become limp and flat (but not straight)

2cNCiii - 4.75" ponytail
23.5 - 04/23/05
first goal reached 30" June
next goal 36" anticipated August '07
23.5/32/50 - 12/01/06

Routine:
vitamins, twice daily
GNC Ultranourishair
GNC Multi-Oil
GNC Women's Ultra Mega

Shampoo twice weekly. Sleep in braid or 'sleep tail'.
S/C is Cream of Nature (red bottle) shampoo and Suave Naturals Waterfall Mist. I also lightly oil with jojoba oil.

Respond to this message   

Jules
(Login CrowningGlory)

Let's see ...

January 19 2007, 7:28 PM 

My hair is medium thickness and 1c/2a I think.

Pros: Has a slight wave which means it will take a curl without too much trouble; I can self-trim because I never have an even hemline so a few extra 'bumps' makes no difference; braids and buns generally stay in place without the need for hairsprays and other setting lotions; I can just let it air dry and it looks good (even my bangs).

Cons: It holds braid waves REALLY well and I HATE braid waves; some days some sections can be almost straight and other sections quite wavy giving me an unkempt look; my buns and braids never look thick enough; it takes hours to dry; it's not curly enough to make a gorgeous messy bun (I can do a messy bun but it looks just that - messy!); it's not curly but it's not straight either; when short, it curls up in all directions and looks ridiculous; and I have hair envy of every other curly/wavy person especially Juliet!

This message has been edited by CrowningGlory on Jan 19, 2007 7:28 PM

Respond to this message   

Kathryn
(Login DragainBeag)

Here's one you might not have heard yet

January 20 2007, 1:20 PM 

My grandfather is full blooded Filipino and for thirtysomething years, I thought I'd inherited that asian hair (see this interesting link).   

Pros: thick, strong, shiny hair.  It grew well and at one point, I'd grown it an inch or two past waist.

Cons: ABSOLUTELY NO CURL.  My hair would not hold curl from hot rollers or a curling iron and it would not take a perm.  I had wished for curls from the time I was old enough to start caring about my hair.  I didn’t know about bee butt buns but, in retrospect, I believe these would hold as I was able to get my hair to hold curl but sleeping in sponge rollers—I just didn’t want to do that all the time.

In my thirtysomethings I was talking to my stylist at the time about said un-permablilty of my hair.  She said, “I can get it to take a perm.”  Silly me, I let her perm my between BSL and waist length hair—and, boy, did she ever get it to take. 

I’d spent thirtysomething years with stick straight hair and now I had very tight curls.  I had no idea what to do with them, didn’t know how to style them, didn’t know I shouldn’t brush them, didn’t know that I should keep my hands out of my hair altogether.

I hated it.  About a year later, I cut my hair to chin length.  I was thinking I was cutting all the curl out of my hair, right?  Wrong!  My hair was now curly all on it’s own!

Pros: I had the curls I had always wished for.  They are as tight as the perm curls.

Cons: because of the perm, I’d learned to hate curls.  I wanted to be able to play with my hair the way I did when it was straight.  Curls make it look less shiny and frizzy.

Now, I discourage my curls, combing several times whilst it’s drying to pull them out.  I find myself frequently wishing for my straight hair back.

The moral: be careful what you wish for….

Namaste´

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
~Kahlil Gibran

3bNii on top and 1bNii underneath
Colour of black coffee with natural red highlights and bottle highlights
24" and 14.5" at the shortest front layer.

1st Goal: BSL--Reached 12/13/06!!!
2nd goal: stay around BSL whilst I grow out damage

EditingMySpace.com,Your one stop graphic spot

Hair Journal
Currnet Routine
Hair Album

Respond to this message   
Tammy
(Login Hiatt_Cathy)

Well...

January 21 2007, 2:36 AM 

1bFiii for me.

Long, straight (though, it gets lots of waves at the ends now that it's long), thick, fine.

Pros:
-I can wear it down with little to no styling product.
-I can do some of the more fun updos (crown braids and the like)
-When it's down, people compliment it all the time
-When it's up, it generally looks pretty good too (Get quite a few compliments like this)
-I get the "Fairy Tale Ends" from my mom (who has long hair just like me...only mine is thicker)

Cons:
-Crazy split ends
-Much more work to brush/wash my hair
-Slips out of updos really easily
-On a windy day, if it's not up, it obnoxiously blows into my face
-Tangles easily
-People like to come up and touch my hair without my permission

I dunno if this is a pro or con yet (though it could be both):
If I have it up in a updo like the crown braid, I get a lot of stares. Maybe it's just that people aren't used to seeing hair like that.
Oh, and now that my hair is long... it's way harder to braid by myself (my arms get tired faster). But that could just be me being lazy.

-Tammy

adopted from http://www.stvgr.net/dhf/

Type 1bFiii
Currently: 38" (38.5" wet)
First measurement: 24.5" (Jan/Feb 2004)
December: 27.5"
February/March: 28.5"
First Goal: 27" by October 2004 -- DONE
Next Goal: Tailbone/Butt (37") by December 2006 -- DONE (wow)
Next Goal: Classic Length (45" - 46")
Growing since January 2004 after car accident
Hair lost in accident, now: 14"
Oils: Sandalwood EO, Olive Oil

Products Used:
Sunsilk Hydra TLC Conditioner and 24/7 Creme
Sunsilk De-Frizz Shampoo
(Garnier Fructis Long and Strong Shampoo
Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Conditioner)
Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse

"What? You and me, in a van?"
"Nothing wrong with a van. I once saved the universe with a BIG, yellow truck."

"We don't see things are they are, we see things as we are." - Anais Nin

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Special thanks to: Background Labs for our background!