Please visit The Loom's Sticks and Stones Hairsticks page! The best place for totally custom sticks!!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Coconut vs. Jojoba vs. Olive Oil...

July 27 2008 at 12:20 AM

(Login QueenJannine)

Hey gals, I was wondering what the differences are between the different oils (aside from coming from different plants, lol). Is one, like, better suited to a certain hair type than the other? Do they provide different levels of moisture/grease? Are they used differently? Thanks for your help...

1cFii-iii, 27/28/35, bangs 8-11 in., level 6.5 auburn (naturally level 6.5 goldish-reddish-brown)

"Uncle Grandfather, I want perfect hair forever."

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login lizzard0825)

I think

July 27 2008, 2:03 AM 

that jojoba is the closest thing to your natural hair oil and olive oil is heavier than both of those. My hair is sort of fine and olive oil is too heavy for me. I use jojoba, coconut, and avocado mixed together for deep treatments and they don't take that much to wash out. I have to shampoo two times to get the olive out. Experiment and see what your hair likes best. HTH

Liz
1bMii
17/30/32
1st Goal: get to waist length
2nd Goal: stay at waist and grow out layers

Hair care routine:
CWC on Wednesdays and deep condish. with
jojoba and coconut oil followed by W&C on Sunday.

Products:
Trying Burt Bees Raspberry&Brazil nut Shamp.
Aubrey organics Honeysuckle Rose S&C
jojoba oil
coconut oil
ACV

Respond to this message   

Jules
(Login CrowningGlory)

I think it can

July 27 2008, 2:28 AM 

depend on your hair. My hair loves olive or almond oil, tolerates coconut oil, and reacts badly to jojoba and avocado. I've found that a 2:1:1 blend of coconut, olive and almond is great for deep conditioning treatments whereas almond oil is best for nightly oiling.

Jojoba is closest to hair sebum but it doesn't mean that all hair will love it. Experiment to see what works best for you but be aware that you really need a light touch with the 'heavier' oils such as olive.

BTW, if it were me, I'd start with the cheaper and more readily available oils before moving onto the more expensive. Some other oils include apricot kernel, grapeseed and camellia.

Progress from June 2006 - June 2008

2a/M/ii
Mid-Dark brown with natural red and silver highights; fringe/bangs.
Starting length 25"/62.5cm
Current length 33"/84cm
Goal 36"/90cm

Current routine: (Trying to keep it as simple as possible): CWC on the weekend after One-hour Pre-wash Treatment, scalp washes every second day, occasionally conditioning of very ends mid-week using small amount of conditioner mixed with boiling water and a drop or two of oil; oiling 2-3 nights per week; updos or braids for day (usually), braids and/or sock curls for bed; S&D when I think of it, dusting every 8-12 weeks.

Shampoo: Organic Instincts or A'Kin diluted with herbal tea (rosemary and chamomile)
Conditioners: A'Kin Protein or Moisturising Conditioner
Oils: Coconut, almond, olive, either alone or blended 2:1:1
Other: ACV infused with herbs (depending upon availability I use a selection of lavender, rosemary, cinnamon, sage, and thyme); BBB; wooden comb; pure aloe vera gel for smoothing flyaways and fixing hair in place.
Treatments: JJJ's One-Hour Pre-wash Treatment using 1/6 cup boiling water, 2/3 tsp oil blend, 1/6 cup conditioner.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

My New Blog

Respond to this message   

Beth
(Login mrsdwm)

not exactly an oil but

July 27 2008, 6:05 AM 

I have a hair type very similar to yours, and shea butter seems to work the best for me. I've tried grapeseed, almond and olive oils which are all too heavy. But the shea butter seems to soak right in. Just another option to try...

1c,F,iii
hennaed red

19/17 1/8"/terminal Sergeant in the FLA!

Now using Mehandi shampoo Bar and Burt's Bees More Moisture shampoo and Burt's Bees color keeper conditioner. Wash 2-3 times per week. Heat FREE styling since early May 2008!

Respond to this message   

(Login Leia9)

My thoughts

July 27 2008, 7:15 AM 

I have never personally used jojoba oil, but from what I've read on the board, it is one of the lighter oils. I think that means it is best suited to finer hair types, or to use as a leave-in. Coconut and olive oils are quite heavy; I would only use them as a deep-treatment. In my part of the world (South Asia), coconut oil is one of the most commonly-used treatments for hair, and the ladies here generally have thick, coarse hair.

I think you should just experiment to see what works for you. Can you get sample sizes of each? I know that for me, my length should never look greasy when oiled, or else the oil is very difficult to wash out. I like to massage oil into my head because I often suffer from dry scalp, so my scalp does look greasy, but my length doesn't.

I hope that helps!

~*Leia*~

Pic from August 2007

2bMiii
Current length: 42" on November 3, 2006

Growing since January 2003; found TLHL at the end of June 2003 and was at 25". I am 5'4.5".

Leia's Journal

Last Updated: September 23, 2007

Respond to this message   

(Login rymorg2)

Another shea user here,

July 27 2008, 7:55 AM 

though I do use other oils too. I use jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, and apricot kernel oil. But 9 times out of 10 it's shea butter on my head, and my hair is similar to yours too.

Lady Karaan, Guardian of Blessed Fauna in the Order of the Longhaired Knights
2B/F/iii
short/16"/?

Respond to this message   

betty
(Login LadyChamomile)

I've used Olive Oil and Coconut

July 27 2008, 8:32 AM 

Btw, your hair is so beautiful. Love your color!

I used EVOO and it made my hair tangle easily. I have been using Coconut oil and my hair loves it! I bought it from Puritan Pride I wait till the second day after wash and apply it to the length and ends. It's also nice on the hands and feet.

Many years ago I tried Monoi Oil. I remember liking it but then movied on to EVOO. I believe I ordered off line from here http://www.monoi.com/oil.html I used the Original, Vanilla, and Sandalwood. It did last a long time.

You will just need to experiment.
HTH

Angel Hugs and Love

~*~Betty~*~
2c3a M/C ii/iii
20 1/2 ~ June 25.5 ~ 30
Natural Blond
Golden Blond Highlights

Respond to this message   

(Login coolbreeze212)

I've only been oiling....

July 27 2008, 10:28 AM 

...since I found the loom recently. What I've already noticed is that my hair really enjoys coconut oil, and doesn't react too well to jojoba (even though it's supposed to be the closest thing to human sebum).

I have not yet tried other oils because I have plenty of coconut oil and my hair is quite happy with it. As time goes on and the seasons change, I'll make adjustments if necessary.

As you can see by the other replies, everyone's hair reacts differently. Trial and error seems to be the way to determine what works best for each person.

Best of luck finding your hair's favorite oil!

July 2008, 22.5
pic: July 2008, perm on it's way out.
Natural blonde with natural highlights (including always-increasing amounts of pure silver in the front....wooohooo!!)

2a - loose stretched out S-waves throughout (I'm sure this will change as the perm grows out)
F - fine strands
i - thin (less than 2" in ponytail)

22.5"/not sure about my length goal yet, but much longer than now, God willing!

Respond to this message   

Lea
(Login wozzle)

Re: Coconut vs. Jojoba vs. Olive Oil...

July 27 2008, 12:42 PM 

I typically use the heavier oils for my hair...it's on the dry side, and also coarse. I braid it for bed, and then use either coconut oil or shea butter on the ends. Typically it will start to look greasy after about three days or so, but that's right about when I wash it. After I wash, I'll use a bit more coconut oil on the length, but only a little, like maybe a nickel size amount for all of my hair.

Hairy facts of life - 27" long, type 2a C iii
wash as necessary with my recipe: castile soap, jojoba oil, seaweed extract, rosemary & ylang ylang essential oil
ACV rinse
oil nightly with coconut oil or shea butter
trying out Alaffia for a while!
two braids for bed
23" as of Jun'07/27/going for waist (apprx31")

Respond to this message   
mermayd
(no login)

I've posted this article before,

July 27 2008, 1:06 PM 

And I don't know how it comparse to the other commonly-used oils, but coconut oil has been proven to penetrate and help the hair retain protein better than some other oils:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12715094?dopt=Abstract

mermayd

Respond to this message   

(Login QueenJannine)

Re: I've posted this article before,

July 27 2008, 1:15 PM 

Aww, they didn't include jojoba in the study. I wonder how it would compare to coconut for preventing damage...

1cFii-iii, 27/28/35, bangs 8-11 in., level 6.5 auburn (naturally level 6.5 goldish-reddish-brown)

"Uncle Grandfather, I want perfect hair forever."

Respond to this message   
Aennedry
(Login Aennedry)

Re: Coconut vs. Jojoba vs. Olive Oil...

July 27 2008, 6:06 PM 

EVOO seems to heavy for my hair, even a light application makes my hair look like I applied a ton. I usually use a 1:1:1 mix of sweet almond oil, vitamin E oil and castor oil. Though my vitamin E oil contains soybean oil, Vitamin E and Coconut oil.

1a F ii
Current length = 28.5"
Goal = Classic

CWC every day, full length wash every three days using J.A.S.O.N. shampoo and using up the last of my Pantene and Garnier Fructis conditioners.
Homemade herbal oil mix on ends after washing, and ACV rinse on every full length wash.
Wood comb.
Braid every night.

Respond to this message   

(Login Yucchi)

Whatever works for your hair...

July 27 2008, 8:28 PM 

is the one for you. I think Jules' suggestion to try out the least expensive first is a great one. Also check out the international section of the super market, you might happen upon a good deal on some exotic oils that you might like.

My hair actually has changed a bit on what it likes. It used to feel very dry with jojoba but I recently tried it again (I still had some from the last try) and it soaked right in and felt very soft. I also like to mix it with a little condish to apply generously the night before a wash.

Yucchi

(scripture tag courtesy of christianwomenonline.net)

Blog: http://thenannyspeaks.blogspot.com

Dark brown with lots of red (natural) highlights and white sprinkles
2BNii,

Now: 25"/34.25"/tailbone(36") then classic(41.5")!!
Goal: Waist-length (30")- reached!!, eventually classic

Wash: 5/08- trying out a diluted CO as needed. Shampoo about every 4 days (5/08- trying to cut back to 1x per week) with Giovanni shampoo or Body Shop's Honey Moisturizing shampoo, very occasionally with a 'poo bar

Condition: Giovanni Balancing or Tea Tree. ACV rinse as needed

Leave-in: Shea butter in "Blessed" scent, Giovanni leave in treatment, mist with Jasmine water, pure aloe for temple wispies

Tools: Body Shop wide tooth wood comb, Conair shower comb, seam-free hard rubber comb from Sally's for styling only

Respond to this message   

(Login jumpingfrog)

I find

July 28 2008, 1:20 AM 

EVOO too heavy for my hair. I always have a high quality can of it in my kitchen, and have tried it on my hair quite a few times, but I just find it too greasy and hard to wash out. I use jojoba and coconut oils mostly, also I like avocado oil. I usually mix a few oils together with some shea butter and vitamin E, and I use this on my face and my hair at night. It keeps my damaged horrible ends softer and more manageable.

[IMG][IMG][/IMG]

3bNii
17/19/BSL
Hair dark brown getting greys, has been coloured and bleached. Now just using henna, but still have old colour and damage to get rid of.
CO with Prairie Naturals Indian Summer conditioner, plus whatever leftovers I'm using up.
ACV rinse.
Leave in oils jojoba, coconut, avocado.

Respond to this message   

(Login jumpingfrog)

I find

July 28 2008, 1:21 AM 

EVOO too heavy for my hair. I always have a high quality can of it in my kitchen, and have tried it on my hair quite a few times, but I just find it too greasy and hard to wash out. I use jojoba and coconut oils mostly, also I like avocado oil. I usually mix a few oils together with some shea butter and vitamin E, and I use this on my face and my hair at night. It keeps my damaged horrible ends softer and more manageable.

[IMG][IMG][/IMG]

3bNii
17/19/BSL
Hair dark brown getting greys, has been coloured and bleached. Now just using henna, but still have old colour and damage to get rid of.
CO with Prairie Naturals Indian Summer conditioner, plus whatever leftovers I'm using up.
ACV rinse.
Leave in oils jojoba, coconut, avocado.

Respond to this message   
Lisa
(Login LStarks)

My hair loves the jojoba year round.

July 28 2008, 2:58 PM 

It seems to work wonderfully on my ends and throughout my length to make my hair shiny and supple without feeling weighed down or lank. I'm addicted to using it as it makes my hair feel wonderful and seems to disappear in just a few minutes.

I've used the coconut oil this summer in tiny amounts after shampoo/condish to aid in detangling. I like it very much but it does seem to make my hair look oilier rather than just-washed; if I get the least bit too much it looks like I've used a styling product in my hair. It didn't seem to do this last winter, rather it dissppeared also.

I have not used my shea butter in awhile but might try it after next wash. It seems to work very well in winter months-- haven't tried it in this heat and humidity. I love to use both the coconut and shea on my hands, face and body. Best moisturizers around!

Lisa S.
Hair color: Natural dk.-med. brown
Type: 1cMiii Length: 34/37
Regular Products: AO Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo and Conditioner, jojoba oil Routine: CWC 1x per week, oil 2-3 nights per week, mostly use comb/BBB rarely, braid at night, dust ends 1x per month
Last salon trim: November 2006

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Coconut vs. Jojoba vs. Olive Oil...
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Special thanks to: Background Labs for our background!