Home > Discussion Groups > In Focus

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=235270&messageid=1113823287
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
 Return to Index  

Lenses

September 11 2005 at 5:28 AM
  (Login zappa93)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 162.83.171.116

Response to Canon Rebel XT questions-

As a film photographer for more than 35 years, who just went digital, I feel your pain and have some advice for you.

1. As wonderful as today's lenses are with their long zoom ranges and close-focus capabilities, one lens can never do it all. Although they come damn close!

2. These kinds of lenses can close-focus on something, but cannot get close enough for detail shots. For that you need a dedicated macro lens, which can be costly (I am going to save my pennies for one of thiose, since I photograph other's Braille Scale models for them...try getting detail photos of those tiny tanks!!). You may also wish to see if there are add-on lenses (that screw on like a filter) which will allow you to get closer to the subject.

3. The same goes for wide-angle lenses that can focus closely. The zoom lens that came with the camera cannot do it all (mine can't!). So, you may also wish to consider a fixed-focal length wide-angle lens, which MAY have such a capability (my old Nikon 28mm lens has "floating elements", which allows it to do just that). But these things are not cheap.

Frank

delete BYTEME from email

Respond to this message   

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse