Home > Discussion Groups > In Focus

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=235270&messageid=1113823287
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
 Return to Index  

As you have discovered the higher the f/stop number

July 11 2008 at 10:52 AM
  (Login rinaldi119)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 76.93.121.228

Response to Thanks for the help! n/t

the grainier the image will become. A compromise of lenses from what I've researched. To get the DOF at these macro ranges you simply are at the outer envelope of what a mid-range lens can handle. A dedicated Macro lens in the 50mm or 60mm range is really the best for high quality photos and will serve you better.

With that said, my Nikon D40 w/18-55mm lens works best in the f/18-22 range for my setup. Also the actual bulb I use is a Phillips Cool White which does not have the bluish tint that normal florescent bulbs create--it has a real crisp true white coloring to it, if that helps.

And shoot in RAW format. There are tons more data in each image and (at least with PS) you have total control over color tint, sharpness, contrast etc. before you even get to the editing stage.

Nice T-90.

HTH,

Mike

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Great information...... - Alan Weller on Jul 12, 8:53 AM
  3. wrong - Owen R Auer on Jul 24, 8:03 AM
    1. Possible incorrect use of terminology - Michael Rinaldi on Aug 21, 9:17 AM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse