Home > Discussion Groups > In Focus

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=235270&messageid=1113823287
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
 Return to Index  

Help in macro photograph

May 13 2009 at 12:35 PM
  (Login astursimmer)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 62.42.98.185

Hello

I am doing my first steps in photographing my models. My equipment is a SLR Canon EOS-40D with a lens 17-85, with stabiliser. My first test shots were focused in the frame or scene setting. In other words: how I see the model in the picture, too big, too small, or ....
I quickly noticed I see it too small in the frame even for focal distance 85, and if I want to see it bigger I have to get closer. Then I start to find problems of minimum focusing distance, for my lens it is 0,38 m => I have discovered that I have to go into this mistery world of "macro photograph".
I recently purchased a 70-300 lens which overcomes partly this issue but I keep having some minimum focusing distance by 1,20 m, and I know I will have more depth-of-field and exposure problems when I start with the tripod with serious shots.

Asking in the photograph shop, they tell me about several solutions.
1) Expensive macro specific objectives => discarded by the moment, my budget is "dead" due to the 70-300 lens...
2) A raw magnification lens assembled on the objective like a filter, which for between 50 and 100 euros will allow to see just bigger things
3) Extension tubes which are mounted between the camera and your objective. These modify the minimum focusing distance, allowing you to go closer. One tube could be 150 euros, a set or threee could be for 300 euros.
4) A kind of hybrid, a lens asemmbled like a filter but doing the function of 3). For 54 euros. This really works but the one I tested has a too small lens and is not usable in my camera, I see black corners. Well actually I see even the lens' black plastic frame in the display...sad.

The guy in the shop told me that usually many people choosing 3) are later disappointed by the performance compared to the cost, close to some macro-special objectives. He recommended me to go for 2) which is not the greatest miracle but it is cheap.

Please anybody out there could give me some advice, and also some guidelines in this kind of photographs?

Kind regards

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. First a couple of questions. What is you ultmate destination for the Pixs? - Val Bueno on May 14, 9:02 PM
    1. Macro - Nacho Roces on May 15, 11:00 AM
      1. Here are some examples - Val Bueno on May 15, 9:49 PM
        1. Re: Samples - Nacho Roces on May 18, 11:38 PM

2. For models, no need for expensive macro lenses - Fernando Cuenca on Jul 15, 10:45 AM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse