Home > Discussion Groups > In Focus

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=235270&messageid=1113823287
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Photo Help needed and appreciated...

August 5 2009 at 8:40 AM
Jeff Brown  (Login jagdtiger007)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 206.211.193.12

Hi, I used the white foam board (two pieces as you can see) and my pictures still turned out weird. Any tips and suggestions are appreciated. This is my Tamiya 1/48 VW in the photos. I am using a regular pair of lights as the lighting. (Nothing fancy, just two cheap wal-mart lamps).

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Fernando Cuenca
(Login xplan303ex)
Missing-Lynx members

Couple of things

August 5 2009, 12:09 PM 

Is the light white or yellow? Best is to use fluorescent lights. The pictures are dark (underexposed) in general, that means that there's not enough light reaching the sensor.

If you have a camera that has Auto setting as well as aperture and shutter priority ditch the Auto and shoot in aperture priority with a tripod. Set the aperture to F4.0 minimum and let the camera compute the exposure time necessary for good pictures. Also keep the white balance in auto for now, you can play with that later.

If your camera only has auto the only solution is to get more powerful lights or shoot outside in day light.

xPLAN303Ex: The portrait of the artist I am not.
http://xplan303ex.wordpress.com

Respond to this message   
Jeff Brown
(Login jagdtiger007)
Missing-Lynx members

Good tips and some more questions...

August 5 2009, 12:44 PM 

Right now they are old fashioned plain light bulbs. I can turn off the Auto, I have a Canon Power Shot and it has all kinds of features I have never even used. What is a good background? I have seen people on here with black, red, blue, etc. (Is it just colored paper?)

I do have a tripod, do I set the timer, or do I press the button myself?

Any more tips are welcome. Thanks for the help so far.

Respond to this message   
Val Bueno
(Login vbuenokov)
Missing-Lynx members

Use the tripod and set the timer....

August 6 2009, 9:58 AM 

...that way the camera doesn't move with the shutter open as you release the button.

Another thing you might want to try is change the EV value. When I shoot on white, I usually set the EV at +1.

Experiment and see what happens when you shoot pics at -1, 0, and +1 and +2 on you camera. You should end up with something like this:

[linked image]

Also play with the white balance settings. You should end up with something like this:

[linked image]

This is what a photo shot on white should look like:

[linked image]

Alternately, when shooting on black backgrounds, go to EV=-1:

[linked image]

I hope this helps,
Val
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Owen R Auer
(Login mailman7777777)
Missing-Lynx members

Looks like....

August 10 2009, 8:23 PM 

..... your white balance may be off. Read your camera manual, it should tell you how to adjust it for the different types of lighting.

Owen

Respond to this message   
Chris Grove
(Login chrismmgrove)
Missing-Lynx members

Light values

September 3 2009, 6:16 AM 

Yes, but experiment. I was using fluorescent lamps, but the pics looked weird when I set the camera for fluorescent light. When I set it for incandescent light it worked much better!

Chris

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse