Home > Discussion Groups > In Focus

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=235270&messageid=1113823287
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New Photographer Needs Help with Lighting

January 22 2010 at 7:35 AM
Ian Barraclough  (Login barra733)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 94.5.247.89

I'm sick to death of my very poor photos letting my postings down. I've decided to make a foray into doing some 'proper' photo's and was wondering if the lighting below would be any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-Professional-Lighting-photography-daylight/dp/B002PTLL0M/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264174337&sr=8-7

I also have an adjustable 'white light' for overhead and would probably make my own diffusers.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login vbuenokov)
Missing-Lynx members

I took a look at some of your photos on the other forums, what do you not like?

January 22 2010, 8:44 AM 

IT will help figure out if it's lights or a camera issue.

Waht I noticed in the photos was the out of focus and narrow depth of field. What kind of camera are you using?

Current light setup?

Is a tripod used?

I will help as best I can.

Cheers,
Val

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login barra733)
Missing-Lynx members

Canon ixus i

January 22 2010, 10:53 AM 

I use a Canon ixus i - usually with the automatic settings (there doesn't seem to be a way to set up the f-stops etc.). I have taken most of my pictures outside but here in Northern Ireland it's usually raining so I'd like to be able to take my pictures inside with a background sheet set up. I also usually set up the camera with a timer so that the picture doesn't get blurred. I have a 'desk' tripod which I always use.

Respond to this message   

(Login vbuenokov)
Missing-Lynx members

It sounds like you are doing everything right.

January 22 2010, 9:12 PM 

I own a Canon S110 Elph from 2001 (the US version of the ixus) and more light definitely helps. The photos below were shot with a Sony point and shoot, the DSC W-30, one photo with a daylight balanced light and the other with the room's light. The camera was set on the table and the timer was used to eliminate shake.

Without the daylight lamp
[linked image]

With
[linked image]

May also need to plan what part of the model you want in focus. Point and shoots like the ixus and the W-30 have very narrow depths of field, especially when used in macro mode. Make sure that part of the model you want in focus is in the middle ofthe frame. Even if the photo looks unbalanced in the frame, you can crop it later with basic photo editing programs. In the photos above, I wanted the turret to be in focus, hence it is in the middle of the frame.

The daylight balanced lights you linked to in your initial post would definitly help.

Can you post some of your dissapointing photos here for me to look at? Might help with more suggestions.

Cheers and Aloha,
Val

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login barra733)
Missing-Lynx members

Some Photos

January 23 2010, 2:11 AM 

I think in the photos below the focus is often a problem. Will extra lighting help with this? (Will the lights I linked to in the first post work?). I also always seem to get my background too 'in focus' - which I think takes the viewers eyes away from the model. I also looking to get hold of a large single sheet of thin card to use as a backgroung (blue/grey/white?).

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login vbuenokov)
Missing-Lynx members

First off, GREAT LOOKING Models!

January 23 2010, 8:36 AM 

Now for the photos. the focus algorithim on the camera doesn't seem to be working. The center of the photo is out of focus whereas other parts of the image is in focus. i.e., that photo of the boy falling into the water, his sock is in focus but the center of the photo isn't.

Check the settings on the camera's focus, is it set to center focus? For close up photo like models, the center of the image should be in focus. It looks like the multi-point focus is using other items in the frame to focus on. Look at page 73 of your manual on how to turn off the Artificial Intelligence Auto Focus. This way the autofocus frame in the middle of the image is used to focus.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers,
Val

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login barra733)
Missing-Lynx members

Just Ordered the Lights...

January 23 2010, 3:03 PM 

...and will get myself a bit of card. Once I get set up I'll have a good experiment with the camera and post the results. The camera I'm using is my wife's camera and I was considering buying my own - primarily for phographing models. Do you have any suggestions? My budget isn't huge - around the 100 mark (approx $140). Any ideas?

EDIT:
I've just found this camera:

Olympus SP-510 Ultra Zoom Digital Camera Silver & Black (7.1MP, 10x Optical Zoom) 2.5" LCD

It's second hand at a very good price. Any thoughts? I don't want to go over the top on this - I've tried getting into photography in the past and ended up giving up quite quickly - nothing seemed to make sense... (I am an optical engineer who fixes thermal and night vision equipment!)

Thanks for your help so far.

This message has been edited by barra733 from IP address 94.9.97.159 on Jan 24, 2010 3:35 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login vbuenokov)
Missing-Lynx members

In 2001, I bought an Olympus C2100 UZ.....

January 25 2010, 8:55 AM 

..the Olympus SD-510UZ seems to be a 2006 upgraded version of my C2100. The manual focus, aperture and shutter speeds will help get better model photos. I don't know if the remote control Olympus sells will work on the SD-510, I know my C2100 had one and it makes a whole lot of difference.

I used my C2100 until 2008 when I bought a Sony H-50. The only reason I bought the H-50 was due to yellowing of the images on the C2100. That and the fact that the camera was falling apart from the milage I was putting on it. If the C2100UZ worked for me for so many years, the SD-510 should work for you in a pinch.

The number one thing I look for in a camera is manual control. That way I can control everything. #2 is the remote control. Need to keep my grubby paws off the camera to prevent shake. #3 is a flip up LCD screen. Seriously, with the flip up LCD screen, I can put the camera low on the model, and still sit comfortably upright and still read all the camera settings on the LCD. With the C2100, I was often sitting on the floor just trying to read if the EV value was right, or the MACRO was on and so forth.

When I bought my C2100UZ back in 2001, I wrote 10 articles about model photography as I learned them with the C2100UZ. If you are interested, I can e-mail you these articles in PDF format. They are written from the viewpoint of a young female modeller learning learning from an experienced male modeller, so photos of the young woman pop up once in awhile.......

Let me know if you are interested and I can send them to you.
Cheers,
Val

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Ian Barraclough
(Login barra733)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks for all of your Help Val

January 25 2010, 12:23 PM 

I'm going down to my local Camera shop tomorrow to talk cameras with them. I'll let you know how I get on!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - New Photographer Needs Help with Lighting
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse