Home > Discussion Groups > In Focus

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=235270&messageid=1113823287
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

upgrading from Sony DSC W 120

June 29 2011 at 4:39 AM
  (Login spitfire-303)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 62.161.29.18

Hi guys,

For taking pictures of my models I use the Sony DSC-W120 (a compact camera) a photo tent, 4 photo bulbs, a tripod and the P mode of my camera. The images I get aren't bad but some more depth and sharpness would be good I guess. I always take those pics during the night so those bulbs are the only source of light. I always edit images and often highlight them. I do like the DSCW 120 as it shoots pictures quite well but... I feel a small change would do good to me. The main issue is I have a very limited budget (around 100EUR =140 USD) so buying a DSLR camera is out of the question.

Here are the results I get using the pocket camera I have (slightly edited in Picassa mainly contrast and highlights).

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

For the budget I have (around 140 USD but keep in mind that in France were I live price are a bit higher than in US A for example) I could get one of these:

Canon PowershotG6

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/canon/powershot-g6/canon-powershot-g6-review.html

Nikon Coolpix 5700

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/nikon/coolpix-5700/nikon-coolpix-5700-review-6.html

Sony DSC-H2

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/sony/dsc-h2/sony-dsc-h2-review-5.html

Sony DSC-V3

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/sony/dsc-v3/sony-dsc-v3-review-5.html

Any hint which one of those four would fit the best? What should be the order of interest. the G6 the best(?) and than? Any other "oldy" which would be good?

I would appreciate your help.
Pawel

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Val Bueno
(Login vbuenokov)
Missing-Lynx members

W 120? Great Photos with a Point and Shoot!

June 30 2011, 10:42 AM 

I have a Sony W30 and a Sony H50 and you did a fantastic job getting the most out of your camera.

Having bought Sony in the past, I can only comment on the Sony cameras. The V3 and H2 are later incarnations of my H50, so they should be better than what I am currently using. Both cameras have Aperture priority, so you can control the depth of field better. I think these cameras also have a variable focus point, mine does. This means you can manually chose what point on the model is in focus rather than being constrained to the center. This allows longer models to have several photos taken with different points along the model being in focus and the final photo stacked to have the entire model in focus. I use Helicon to stack my multiple photos. The photos below of a Gato class sub is comprimised of 6 photos stacked.

[linked image]

[linked image]

I would chose the camera with the smallest aperture (4.0 on the V3 I think). This helps with the depth of field.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

The added benefit of chosing the Sony cameras, your Memory Sticks work on the new Camera also!

Hope this helps.

Val

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Pawel RZYMSKI
(Login spitfire-303)
Missing-Lynx members

thanks

July 1 2011, 6:15 AM 

thanks for the answer. The Sony V3 i the one I can hardly find but I'll check it. The bright white colour of your background is "out of the camera" or it's edited? What lights / accessories do you use.

Respond to this message   
Val Bueno
(Login vbuenokov)
Missing-Lynx members

I use a pair of 5000K Compact Flourescent Lightbulbs...

July 1 2011, 9:56 AM 

..installed in the light sockets in the ceiling of the workshop. I use a plain piece of 11"x17" paper as the background and set my EV value to +1 to make sure the white background is white.

[linked image]

After the photo is taken, I use ACDSee to edit the crop out the edges and adjust the brightness to brighten the background even more and lighten the shadows if needed. I can also blur out the dust particles to a point then sharpen the image as well.

[linked image]

The camera is on a tripod and I use a remote control to trigger the shutter. The action of pressing the button imparts enough shake on the camera to blur the image, so I make sure my hands are not on the camera when the shutter is open.

Hope this helps!

Val

The Iron Monk
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login a.bullock9745)
Missing-Lynx members

great photoes

September 28 2011, 12:08 PM 

hi you get realy good picktures from a compact! i ave just perchased a fuji hs 10 its a good cammera but round the 250 to 300 pound mark, its already being replaced by the hs 20 wich can be picked up for about the same! i only use mine on auto but get excelent picktures! trying to learn more about it! hope this helps alan.

Respond to this message   
Pawel RZYMSKI
(Login spitfire-303)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: great photoes

September 29 2011, 1:10 AM 

thanks, two weeks ago I bought a Canon G6 on ebay for roughly 100E shipping from Germany included. I've tried it on my newest build. It's smaller (shorter) vehicle so we'll see what happens when I'll get to some bigger models like Panthers or Tiger II (with long barrel)

[linked image]

[linked image]

for comparison a shot with DSCW 120 (you can see the barrel is not sharp)

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login vbuenokov)
Missing-Lynx members

Those look great! I'm glad you found a good camera.

October 1 2011, 10:18 AM 

Cheers,
Val

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Pawel RZYMSKI
(Login spitfire-303)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: great photoes

September 29 2011, 1:10 AM 

double post

Respond to this message