Council Recap Page
Real Cherokee FB
David C Facebook

I listen

November 2 2011 at 6:21 PM
Rebecca Nery Weaver  (no login)

Response to Re: wanna-know

Mr.Lee,
I listen to your words with great admiration and respect and love for the Native American people. I see where you are coming from and I sincerely understand. I ask you, How can the sovereigns ridicule me or my sister for wanting to embrace our Native American Heritage that is our God given right, passed down through our DNA no matter what percentage we carry? I have never claimed to have lived on a reservation nor suffered the same persecution and hardships as my ancestors before me. I do not claim to be 100% Native American. I do however reserve the right to practice and hand down some of the beautiful customs and beliefs that my Grand-Mother handed down to me. I feel the same about my Filipino Heritage. I have been called a "Wanna Be" by my Mother's people and by my Father's people I am often subjected to ridicule because I am only "Half". I find these two labels to be a great abomination to my very essence. I carry both these ethnicities with great love, respect and dignity. Because of all the personal persecution I have had to endure, when I am asked now, as I often am. "What are You?" I now answer," I am a Human Being." I think that that is the bottom line is it not? And if my sister Sylvia Nery Strickland chooses to commune with my Mother's people and carry on my Grand-Mother and Grand-Father's traditions then I say "More power to you Sis" and as I see her dressed in her Regalia resembling my Grand-Mother with her head held high, I see someone expressing themselves in honor of their ancestry, not someone trying to take anything away from the sovereigns who light the flame of the torch my sister chooses to carry. And you made reference to the "Shoes Just fit Me." With every bit of respect to you and the sovereigns, not only do the shoes just fit me, but my ancestors and your ancestors both worked on those moccasins. Thank you Sir for igniting in me a fire that has long been extinguished. May the Creator of all bestow many blessings upon you and isa bayan (in Filipino it means) " One People." I believe that we all are.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Links To Other Places
Sequoyah Times
Muskogee Phoenix
Daily Oklahoman
Tulsa Channel 2
The Tahlequah Press
Perchanga Blog Spot

freedmen5tribes
Tulsa Channel 6
Keetoowah Band
Freedmen Board
Tulsa World News