Member form

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Untitled

April 12 2007 at 3:21 AM
No score for this post
Kook Rowley 

It is true that Sadr has consistently opposed the breakup of Iraq into three ethnicity-based entities, but it is scant comfort that this son of a famed Shiite cleric killed by Saddam Hussein should now, in a sentiment that a recent ABC News poll shows is shared by a majority of his countrymen, consider Iraq’s self-proclaimed liberators as evil occupiers. Indeed, the legacy of Bush’s invasion is that the tired anti-U.S. nationalism of Saddam, never endorsed by the Shiite majority, now has a virulent energy that it never previously possessed.

The only alternative to this Iraqi nationalism is not the democratic and pro-Israel fantasy of the neoconservatives like Lieberman who talked our clueless president into this irresponsible folly, but rather the subjection of Iraq to a Shiite militancy allied with Iran. Sadr, who is rumored to be living these days in Iran, seems torn between those two futures, perhaps positioning himself to benefit no matter which path proves more popular.

Colin Powell was only partially right when he warned before the U.S. invasion, “If you break it, you own it.” What he didn’t add is that the locals will hate you for it, and try to kill you every day until you give it back.
-Robert Scheer

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article17517.htm

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kook Rowley

Re: Untitled

No score for this post
April 12 2007, 3:26 AM 

Powell is a true war criminal. Who does he think he is going around breaking things so he can claim that they're his afterwards? Yeah, I'll go break ny neighbors truck so I can claim it as mine and bring it to the garage the next day and make it like new.

He actually had many people fooled by this line.

"If you break it, you own it"

Many people actually felt the US was justified in stealing from Iraq because we "broke it".

Wow!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Current Topic - Untitled  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Political TheoryCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement