Pot Metal Repair and Re-Chrome Question

by Jim Kaufman

Has anyone on here ever repaired pot metal? I see there is a product offered by Muggy Weld (http://www.muggyweld.com/?view=potmetal ). Has anyone ever used this product? I have concerns about this product taking chrome the same way as the other metal on the part being repaired. I have done a lot of reading about muggy weld and it seems the information out there is conflicting. The people selling the product (Muggy Weld) say you can chrome over with no problems. Then if you read comments by chrome shops they say the two products have to be treated in different steps in order for the chrome too take and that is impossible to do.

Chrome Shops state most of the cost is in prepping stage of the part prior to plating. Makes sense. This seems to be the bread and butter for chrome shops. If that is the fact, I could understand them not liking this product as it will cut into their profits.

And I don't know enough about Muggy Weld. Are they saying their product works and will take chrome just to make the buck?

So I feel, feedback from those who have been through this process would be best.

So has anyone used Muggy Weld product and had chrome applied?

Thanks Guys

Posted on Mar 23, 2012, 9:53 AM
from IP address 74.40.51.70

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

Find more forums on TrucksCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement