Brian's 3E14-131-C2...

by Frank Drumheller

Quoting from page 7, E-SERIES TRUCKS 1957=59, compiled by the Studebaker National Museum Archives- article by Fred K. Fox, printed 2009.

"At times it is hard to understand why Studebaker made certain design or engineering changes. One of these questionable changes concerns the central part of the new 3E dash panel. From 1949 to 1956 Studebaker trucks came with two special sections in the dash panel, one for the climatizer controls and one for placement of a built-in radio. In 1957 these special sections were removed and replaced with a flat panel and a "TRANSTAR" name plate. When ordered, the Climatizer controls were placed directly below the name plate. No place in the panel was designed for a radio. This meant that when a customer ordered a 3E truck with a radio, the radio had to be hung under the panel. To do this, the ash tray on Deluxe Cab (C4) models had to be moved to the right."

The only thing I see here for a standard C2 cab on this truck is the missing
"TRANSTAR" emblem in the center of the dash. I'll bet it simply was never installed in this low level model at the factory and the new owner never forced the issue. Otherwise, you're looking at a normal 3E dash in a standard cab. My opinion, of course. It wouldn't be the first time something was left off a factory vehicle.

Best wishes, Frank

Posted on Mar 28, 2012, 10:40 PM
from IP address 67.163.104.87

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Find more forums on TrucksCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement