Frank and Martina's trip to San Francisco

by MW

Yesterday evening Frank and Martina arrived to San Francisco from Germany. As we had planned, I met them at their hotel around noon today and after a brief hello and introduction we immediately just hopped into my trusty old green '53 2R11 and we drove across town from the Fisherman's Wharf area over to and through Golden Gate Park and to see the Pacific Ocean. It was an unusually hot, sunny and fog free summer like day. As such, the beach was packed. Since it is usually a bit cool and foggy near the beach and not like that, I had to explain to Frank and Martina this is not normally the case despite what they might have seen on Bay Watch.

Sorry in advance for the less than quality iphone 3 photos. Not the best, but all I had to work with. Frank and Martina can hopefully share some of a bit better quality as they had some more serious equipment on hand.

[linked image]

After the beach, we made our way up and over to the bay bridge. The traffic getting there was stop and go, bumper to bumper, and we were a bit tiered and hot along the way, but we made it and over to the Marin headlands. I was driving, so I only have these few shots and none while driving of course. happy.gif But, here is another looking east from the headlands towards the bridge and city beyond.

[linked image]

They needed to get back over for their trip to Alcatraz later so we didn't want to risk more traffic and them literally missing the boat, so we decided to skip the lighthouse and Sausalito and headed back over the bridge and stopped off for a quick drink and sandwich at a cafe on California Street. We then drove towards their hotel up and along California Street and past a few cable cars and some moderate hills. I avoided the really steep hills and definitely didn't tempt our fate on Lombard Street, but we did drive past it and saw it up a few blocks int he distance. Frank remarked that it looked just like in the photos.

I delivered them back to their hotel with an hour or 2 to spare before they needed to be on the boat for Alcatraz.

[linked image]

It was really great to meet them and I had a nice time cruising around the sights with them in the old truck. I only wish we had more time. Right now they might be still at Alcatraz or on their way back. Frank said he will post some photos on his trip as well. Feel free to add them here Frank if you would like.

All in all, it was a very nice day and I am glad I got to share some time with them. As I mentioned to them just before we parted, I have never met a person I didn't like from the STT site, or really any that are involved with Studebakers in general, and Frank and Martina certainly are no exception.

Frank and Martina, thank you for allowing me to give you the quick tour. I hope the rest of your journey is just as enjoyable and even more so. And thanks the lunch too! happy.gif Next time you are back in town, I definitely hope to meet up again and I will certainly do the same if I am ever over in Germany. All the best to both of you on your trip.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012, 10:49 PM
from IP address 24.130.81.199

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

Find more forums on TrucksCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement