C Cab door hinge repair

by Zane

 
I spent most of today building drill jigs for the door hinges on my 1959 4x4. I welded the inside block first. I then drilled the hole in the proper place as located by my old hinges. I then welded one end plate on and then drilled through the block into the end plate. I then welded the other end plate on and then drilled all the way through all of the jig into the last plate ensuring that all of the holes are in line with one another.

I made two jigs, one for the upper hinges and one for the lower hinges because the hole spacing is different the way I centered them in the jig.

My hinges were in pretty bad shape. I am still in the process of welding them up just to get them back to their original thickness. One of the original spot welded "washers" that add to the thickness of the hinge where the pin goes through was gone, so I welded a new one on.

I will probably have about a week of time into these hinges by the time I am done. It took me 4 hours just to get them apart after soaking them for weeks prior to starting. I still had to use heat to get them apart. Now remember this was a truck I was driving up until I tore it down. One hinge pin was in 3 peices!

I hope the pictures make sense when you look at them. Any of you who have taken these things apart know the pain in the neck they can be!

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]



Posted on Jun 27, 2012, 1:13 AM
from IP address 71.237.154.170


Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

Find more forums on TrucksCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement