thanks

by

I know about their rat rod phobia... so no, I never claimed mine would be anything even close to a rat ( no snow blower parts, wrenches or other junk incorporated into the build )... I think an awefull lot of those guys ( probably typical in any of the American car hobby ) just buy their cars done... I made the mistake of posting the truck, fresh from the pasture, with 3 coats of pealing paint & moss over grown, & with the top cut off, & several told me to please stop & just scrap the truck... those I pretty much wrote off as ignorant, as there are several builders over there that could certainly weld the top back on, & fix the years of patina if they didn't like the roadster look...

I'm continuing on with the distruction... got the passenger front fender off, & the passenger side brake backing plate off ( I'll be keeping the drum brakes, but going a bit bigger & more modern... early 60's Cadillac backing plates & guts look like they will be modifyable for the fronts, on my stock spindles & middle 60's Cadillac backing plates look like they will work with no modification on my mid 50's Dana 44 ) the brake drums I can buy new ( see no rat rod... new parts ) are Cadillac Eldorado fully finned brake drums, which when painted in high temp paint aught to look nice through my aluminum slot wheels... one of my ( oh no, not "that" word ) rat rod builder buddies, told me to just order trailer leaf springs from Nothern Tool & Hydrolics, when it comes to replacing the springs... all I had looked at, at that point was the rear leafs, & they don't have any that long, but now that I'm futzing with the front, I see the front springs are much shorter, so they may have springs that will work... they offer them in a couple lengths, but many weight ranges, & are priced much lower than alot of other springs... the rear axle I was going to convert to coils anyway, when the 4 link goes in...

do you guys have a "build section" here ??? if so, I could start some before during & after pics... I'm planning on a 2-3 year build completion... I'd like to have the chassis rolling on the new suspension, axles & wheels by winter, then get the motor & tranny mounts done, & a couple body pieces by spring, starting with the cab & box... hopefully have a driving chassis & 1/2 body by next summer ( may look more like a rat rod by summer, but rest assured, it'll only be 1/2 done )... I probably will never put a good high dollar paint job on the truck, as I have about 3/4 of a mile of gravel ( 1.5 miles round trip ) every time I take it out... so it may be in brown primer for a long time

Posted on Jul 15, 2012, 11:16 AM
from IP address 24.197.214.40

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

Find more forums on TrucksCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement