unsticking those hopelessly stuck drums...by Magnum
while working on my M-5 pasture queen project, I encountered one very stuck drum brake ( drivers side front ) I was able to get the passenger side front off with the normal sized hammer... but the drivers side was having none of the perswasion from the hammer... I asked over at H.A.M.B. how those guys got really stuck drums removed... a couple suggested water to free up the drum... only how do you get the water where it needs to be ??? one suggested pounding out a lug stud & shooting water in the hole...
I'm happy to report that this method works quite well... I didn't really want to pound out a left hand turn lug stud ( I got an expensive lesson trying that on my 38 Nash ) but I was able to get the drum off, with out destroying anying... well except for the lug stud anyway... the hopelessly stuck drum ended up having ( now ) 2" of mud in the bottom of the drum, & the brake components were all very corroded
just thought I'd pass along a method for removing hopelessly stuck brake drums, that worked for me... 30 years in the pasture must have been hard on at least that one drum
Posted on Jul 16, 2012, 8:11 AM
from IP address 220.127.116.11
Respond to this message
Goto Forum HomeResponses