Re: 59 3/4 ton 4x4 parts needed. Please help

by

Mark, I too have a 1959 3/4 ton 4x4. It is a 4E12D-122. As for your climatizer parts, they are the same as any 2wd truck and would probably be available from Vern on here. The knobs are the same as any Lark of the same period and are available NOS from Studebaker International.

The wheels will be hard to find. Not many of them came with 19.5" wheels and therefore not many survive. Again, I would try Vern but I would not hold my breath.

The taillights, are the same as any 2wd truck 1956 and later I believe. They come up on ebay occasionally.

If your truck is truely a 1959, it would not have come with fender mounted turn signals unless specifically ordered that way. 1959 was the first year that Studebaker trucks put their front turn signals inside the grille. Some states may have required the turn signals on the fenders. If you think that those are original, then you would be looking for a "Spartan 700 Series" turn signal. I have been looking occasionally on ebay and have rarely seen them. I have picked up a couple at a swap meet. I don't know what other trucks may have used them other than Studebaker.

I have also looked for some original Dualmatic hubs for my truck. The ones that will fit our trucks are rarer than Hens Teeth. They are not the same as the Chevrolet Napco truck of the same vintage. Studebaker trucks have a larger bolt circle that bolts the hub to the wheel hub. I did a nation wide search many years ago and I found that are hardly any out there if any. The hubs on my truck were completely destroyed and unusable. What I found were some Mile Marker hubs that are far better than the original Dualmatics.

There was an issue with the Mile Marker hubs though. They had reversed the splined hub to the inside which pushed the hub out 1 1/2" from the wheel which was not acceptable. I found a small place in Tennesee that had some "Dana Power Train" hubs that were the same without the correct bolt circle. All of the internal parts were the same, so I combined the two sets of hubs to make one set. Over all I think that I have about $600 in the two hubs that will actually work. I have the Mile Marker part numbers if you would like.

I also have pictures from my fiasco of trying to get hubs to fit that I can send. My email is open if you would like to discuss this further. My phone is 503-302-4344 and I am located in Oregon.

Please post some pictures of your truck and also make sure that your truck is registered with Frank Drumheller who has the registry for all Studebaker 4x4's.

Zane

Posted on May 4, 2013, 1:59 AM
from IP address 71.237.154.170

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

Find more forums on TrucksCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement