ya, Stude hemmed the rear edge of the hood but not the sides.
We had the hood off. We took flat stock, 1/8 x 1/2, kerfed it so we could reproduce the gentle curve that is present, welded up the kerfs, made sure the strip was flat (the welding distorts it some and you will need to flatten it), and then plug welded it to the lip of the sides of the hood. We wire-wheeled the inner surface of the hood lip and the flat stock, treated it with phosphoric acid (Ospro is one brand avail. at ACE), sprayed on weld-thru primer, then plug welded. We used a boatload of clamps on there and did not remove any until all welding was done and it had cooled down. The entire truck is due for dustless blasting in the next couple of months, then the usual painting at some point. We will treat all bare steel after blasting with Ospro in a garden sprayer. That will stabilize the bare steel until we are ready to paint. Once primed, we will use seam sealer to prevent water from getting in there. If you take all these steps, you have done all you can do. Tie the flat stock into the reinforcing plate up front and the hinge mounts at the rear. This all added quite a bit of strength. We did all this as part of our conversion to a tilt-nose
There are many tin edges at least on an M that it would have been good if Stude had hemmed them.
The pic shows the same treatment we did to the lip of the apron, which is easier to photograph
Posted on Apr 20, 2017, 12:58 PM from IP address 220.127.116.11