Champion power and concrete

by Jim Thwaites

Thirty years ago I had a Champion powered t cab. It was in good mechanical condition and could beat a 396 Chevelle off the line (until I had to shift out of creeper gear).

There was an concrete outfit in town (25 miles) that would sell you a yard of concrete in a special trailer that had a mixer in it geared to the wheels to keep the concrete agitated.

My house had a dirt floor crawlspace that was a rodent playground, and a friend and I were going to pour a slab in it. The crawlspace was so low that the mice were
hunchbacked, and the plan was to bring the concrete in in 5 gallon buckets.

It was July, hot and humid. We got the trailer hooked up at the plant, and the little Champion would only do 45 mph with my foot flat on the floor. The water temp
was climbing ominously when we reached home, and the concrete was beginning to stiffen. Frantic activity ensued. The trailer got emptied, the 'crete was so stiff that
the slab had less than an ideal finish, and two exhausted men returned the trailer minutes before closing.

From then on it has been 289s and T-89s in my trucks.

Posted on Dec 6, 2017, 9:35 PM
from IP address 209.74.120.223

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

Find more forums on TrucksCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement