Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Not the point, but I have all ready sourced the restock.
    • Bo
      Posted Jun 13, 2012 8:56 PM

Don't you ever wonder why it is that some companies buy something for say $66.00 and resell the item for $76.00. The company across town has the same item pays the same wholesale, but sells it for $95.00. Yet another company 3 blocks from the first pays the same wholesale, but sells it for $110.00. Then there is the fella across the rail road tracks that wants $1,060.00?

Kinda the same way with different gas stations, especially the ones owned by the same company. All the ones around here charge $3.89 gal. for Diesel fuel. Thirty miles over in the next town Diesel fuel sells for $3.29 gal. Down in Tampa, which is where the stuff comes into port via ship, it is $3.17 gal. According to a buddy truck driver of mine, it costs about $2.00 a mile to deliver product, which is in a tanker carrying between 6 and 7 thousand gallons. Doing the math (250 mile rd. trip/6,000 gal.) it costs about $500.00 to deliver a load to Williston and that breaks down to about $.12 gal., which should bring the cost up to about $3.29 gal. at the pump. Yet, it is $3.89 gal. at the pump.

It really doesn't take a genuis to figure out what's going on. Could it be greed? I've often pondered what the difference is between making an honest profit (which is the foundation of our economic system), and just plain old blatant screwing people for what ever you can get out of them.

Now, tie all this into Studebaker ownership. By nature, we are cheap *** studebaker owners (CASO), er I admit I'm one. I don't like to pay high prices for stuff anymore then anybody else. How does this play out with the future of our beloved marque? Will people put up with the screwing, or will the hobby die out? Of course, this is 2012 and long gone are the days of buying cheap Studebaker parts and vehicles. But still for those of us that have been committed to Studebaker and invested since before they stopped making them, what does this mean?

As a vendor, this puts me in a jam. I can't give the stuff away, but then again I can't justify selling every little item I stock at SI prices, either.
      I try to get the best prices I can for things and pass on the savings to the customer.

Business used to have a rhyme and reason. I used to listen to the ole man tell me that 40% mark up was more then enough. Looking around me today, it would appear that is no longer the case. Let your conscience be your guide to setting prices doesn't seem to work either. So, really, where does one draw the line and just say no more, I've had enough!

I guess that is really the point.
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)