STUDEBAKER TRUCK TALK

A forum for any messages related to Studebaker Trucks

License plate frames in Iowa

by Jim Mackey

Just read that the Iowa supreme court ruled that Iowa licenses have to be completely visible to the police. This means that license plate frames that block the county name will result in traffic stops and possible citations.

Iowa drivers need to check this out.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 11:36 PM
from IP address 67.232.67.196

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re:License plate frames in Iowa

by

Arizona did the same thing a few years ago.

Register your 2R truck at http://www.2rtruck.need-a-geek.com/ It's free!
Register your M truck at http://mtrucks.need-a-geek.com/ It's free!

Posted on May 8, 2014, 1:54 PM
from IP address 184.12.160.73

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

So did North Carolina..

by

.. but I am keeping my original Pierotti Motors (Fremont, CA) frames and deal with the consequences. Apparently, they won't pull you for it, but if they pull you for something else and see that, it's $50.

Posted on May 8, 2014, 5:38 PM
from IP address 64.147.222.129

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

In Vermont....

by Bish

One cannot block the validation sticker in the lower right hand corner. It shows month and year, as well as the plate number in microscopic font. I can't see how a Trooper could see it anyway! Two years ago, the DMV decided to only give out a sticker for the rear plate to save money, but they still printed VOID on a front sticker! Finally they started only printing one.

Bish

Posted on May 9, 2014, 7:49 PM
from IP address 174.62.190.226

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Questions about 1958 Transtar generator

by

I'm cleaning up and repainting the engine and accessories in the 1958 with 259. The generator appears to be black. How glossy? The belt pulley seems to be a bluish gray color. Is this correct? What about the nut on the pulley? Mine does not screens or anything on each end to keep out bugs and debris (Neither does the generator on my Sky Hawk) Is this correct? Does anyone have pictures of one done right?
Thanks for your help.
Paul

Posted on May 7, 2014, 11:28 PM
from IP address 173.185.205.3

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Questions about 1958 Transtar generator

by Skip Lackie

GM/Delco painted all their components a semi-gloss black that is available from Eastwood as "underhood black". I believe Auto-lite painted their generators and starters with similar paint. Yes, the pulleys had some sort of phosphate coating that made them a dusty gray. I believe the nuts were normal steel. And no screens on any Delco generators I've seen. Dunno about A-L.

Posted on May 8, 2014, 9:40 AM
from IP address 76.100.243.102

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Questions about 1958 Transtar generator

by Ted

It is true some Generators had parts of a different color but most that I have seen were all the semi gloss black front to back except for the tag which was black on 6volt and red on the 12 volt.

Posted on May 8, 2014, 10:27 PM
from IP address 24.191.31.160

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Screens

by

Generally there are no screens on generators or alternators. The only application where screens are found (because they are mandatory)are in boats as spark arrestors. Screens are sometimes found on heavy duty/emergency vehicle applications. Neal

Posted on May 12, 2014, 8:19 AM
from IP address 207.109.140.1

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

While on the subject of 1956 trucks,came across this on C/L

by Lee W.

I like the color scheme, good powertrain combo.
Click on the link for more photos.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4458992198.html

Posted on May 7, 2014, 7:18 PM
from IP address 76.126.38.23

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Does look pretty nice, not a bad price either

by MW

And has the super rare 120V duplex outlet option in the rear valance too. I think Zane needs to go get that one.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 7:34 PM
from IP address 50.148.147.67

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Does look pretty nice, not a bad price either

by Zane

Why are you always tempting me????? happy.gif

Posted on May 7, 2014, 11:43 PM
from IP address 71.237.154.170

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Real question is.....

by MW

Why does it seem like the Pacific Northwest is so full of nice and interesting Studebaker trucks on such a regular and continuous basis? It seems like almost every couple of weeks there is some new before unknown offering coming out of that area.

I'm glad I live just far enough away to make it less tempting to drag these finds home. I'm glad I'm not in your shoes, not sure I'd have enough will power to hold myself back. You seem to have a will of extra hardened steel Zane. happy.gif But, I guess at a certain point, enough IS actually enough. Unless it was maybe a long bed 4X4 of course. happy.gif

Posted on May 8, 2014, 12:21 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Real question is.....

by Zane

If that thing was a long box 3/4 ton, it would be sitting in my driveway right now!

Posted on May 8, 2014, 11:31 PM
from IP address 71.237.154.170

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

What on earth is the AC receptical for....???

by Anonymous

Posted on May 7, 2014, 9:39 PM
from IP address 173.55.191.134

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Plug in the coffee pot

by Anonymous

Posted on May 7, 2014, 11:01 PM
from IP address 174.21.58.126

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

for tailgating!!

by

Radio,or cooler, cooking pot,etc..........

Posted on May 8, 2014, 8:33 AM
from IP address 209.179.43.153

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Thats funny

by Fred

Posted on May 8, 2014, 9:02 AM
from IP address 24.233.167.201

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Brian needs one of those receptacles on his truck for the camper!!

by George o

Take care

George o

Posted on May 8, 2014, 4:18 PM
from IP address 70.174.119.102

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Great idea George!

by Brian Dahl

Wonder if I'll need ground fault? Hmmmmmmm. happy.gif
Brian

Posted on May 8, 2014, 6:58 PM
from IP address 24.125.142.129

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Just a guess....

by Lee W.

Truck has a trailer hitch, maybe it's a hillbilly set up for trailer lights.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 11:25 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Similar to the one in Deridder, LA. Color and all.

by Jeff S.

Look back to page 3 STT, April 9th '14 (which is also a craigslist find). Your subject vehicle has a realistic price at $2,800.oo, where the other one (in Louisiana) was at $11,000.oo. I thought they were the same truck, as the conditions of each are very close. The details reveal otherwise, and the locations clarify it without question. J.S.

Posted on May 8, 2014, 12:31 AM
from IP address 71.252.184.84

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

A nice '56....

by Frank Drumheller

which one does not see often in the two-tone paint scheme for sale. I remember when the '56 trucks came into the showrooms and sales lots in Staunton and Waynesboro, VA. This two-tone scheme was 'over the top' for domestic trucks. The only thing that came close to it was the '55 Chevy El Camino in it's white and red two-tone. The Studebaker two-tone paint scheme was optional at an extra cost of (hold your breath!) of $17.50.

I recall vividly a two tone blue 2E13 that our local milkman, Jesse, purchased the first of 1956 (he was an independent rural milk and cream pickup man). He was young and had a little bit of 'hot rod' blood in his system. The truck had the new synchronized four speed manual. Didn't take him long to put a dual exhaust system on it (probably a home-made one). We could hear him coming up the steep hill near our home, downshifting to third. A glorious sound. Every chance I had, I would go out in the front yard just to listen to him pull away shifting that syncho. That was a new experience back in the mid-50's. I left home in the summer of '56 and I've never seen nor heard of Jesse since.

I also recall a 1/2 tonner, as the one pictured above, in the Staunton area at that time. One couldn't help watching it move down the streets. It really stood out among the everyday 'bowties', 'blue ovals', and IH's.

Those mid-50's Studebaker trucks were something else!!! Frank

PS- Jesse also owned a '54 Starliner in red and crème. At the time, I figured the cream and milk business was the way to go! F

Posted on May 9, 2014, 6:47 PM
from IP address 67.163.105.143

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Heater in 1953 2R5 pickup

by

Need information on the heater in my pickup. Need a book on how to put it all back together. The plate on heater says, SUPER POWER HEATER. I can not seem to find any info on this heater. Please Help !!!
Thanks,
Charles

Posted on May 7, 2014, 10:49 AM
from IP address 198.228.200.149

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

heater

by vern

with that name , I would say it is after market, studebaker never used that name , they called them climatizers . mount in the dash, not under it.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 12:01 PM
from IP address 162.201.236.24

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

heater

by

Hi Vern, Thank you for that information but, boy I really do not know where to go from here. Would you have any idea who made the heater I have. And it is mounted under the dash.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 12:17 PM
from IP address 198.228.201.151

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

might be able to tell if you have photo.. email one

by

Posted on May 7, 2014, 7:02 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Heater

by

Hi Vern, Thank you for getting back to me. I believe Dwain hit the nail on the head. He sent a picture of a heater and it is the same one I have. I still need to find a schematic to put it back together.
Charles

Posted on May 12, 2014, 12:41 PM
from IP address 198.228.200.144

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Heater in 1953 2R5 pickup

by DwainG

This heater was made by E.A. Laboratories of Brooklyn, NY. An ad in October 1940 Motor Magazine indicates that it was a new model at that time. Rather than scan the black and white photo in the mag, here's a color photo from an ebay ad.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-New-York-Antique-Vintage-Car-Six-Volt-Heater-Core-Assembly-Fan-Blower-Motor-/221409806657

I'm not sure where you would get parts or instructions for it. You might try:
http://www.classicheaters.com/

Posted on May 7, 2014, 7:44 PM
from IP address 24.16.178.89

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Insurance for trucks

by

My insurance company has chosen not to renew coverage on my Champ, but want to sell me a policy from Grundy. The problem is that I would not be allowed to carry even a single 2x4 in it, or leave it out in the driveway overnight, which I sometimes do. It seems every collector policy I have checked has very similar restrictions.

What insurance do you all use? Is any collector coverage available for pickups that does not have these restrictions?

Ron

Posted on May 7, 2014, 7:22 AM
from IP address 64.147.222.129

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Truck Insurance

by

I have my 1 1/2 ton car hauler insured with American Collector.

Ted

Posted on May 7, 2014, 9:37 AM
from IP address 184.12.132.197

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Truck Insurance

by 2R5

I have mine with Hagerty , but I do think that who ever you pick will have restrictions unless you insure them like your everyday drivers.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 9:46 AM
from IP address 50.70.16.254

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Hmmm..

by

Ted, I checked with them, I'm not sure how you haul cars on yours using their insurance. Once again, even a 2X4 is excluded for my truck.

I'm pretty unhappy with all the changes this agency has made over the past few years, and this problem insuring the truck will push me to a different agency and company, and continue with general automotive coverage IF I can find anyone that will give me an agreed value policy.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 4:14 PM
from IP address 24.178.157.45

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Bob, be careful, Hagerty was very clear to me that they only insure for show use, etc.

by MW

After Geico gave me the disappointing info from their end on the Champ, I called Hagerty and they basically said the same thing as far as what they could offer. They would not cover any damage claims for normal type of use, and particularly for a pickup and work use, even if just personal. No trips to the hardware store, grocery store or even just dropping the kids of at school or any of that - show use and safe storage at home only, or while being worked on. So, if you are driving and something happens, you probably need to be able to verify you were doing something along those lines and not going down to Home Depot to get a box of nails. The agent I spoke with was very clear about that, to me anyway.

Geico has their own 3rd party collector car insurance they offer, but it was basically the same deal. I can't recall the name off hand, but wasn't Hagerty.

Now, your trucks are super nice and maybe you do only use them for show for the most part, etc. So, maybe that is a good option of you.

BTW, they both told me with the collector insurance, they don't care how many miles you drive them, as long as it is for show or related purposes. Could be 20K miles a year if wanted. Vise versa for normal usage, they don't care how little it is. Could be only 100 miles a year or 1 trip to the store, still not allowed. Obviously if they don't know, they don't know. But, if you happen to be at Home Depot and somebody backs into you there, they probably won't cover it unless you can convince them you were getting some tools to work on the truck and you were just on the way to a show.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 5:23 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Bob, be careful, Hagerty was very clear to me that they only insure for show use, etc.

by 2R5

I really only use mine for shows and cruise nights , heck we've driven over 2000 miles in the Champ to an International and I think we did stop in a Home Depot on the way happy.gif . Around here there are cruise nights every night of the week so we can always find a place we are going even if it is only a trip for a 2X4 !

Posted on May 7, 2014, 7:20 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Geico

by MW

I just have mine on my Geico account as an additional vehicle which ends up being a couple hundred a year. They also have a collector car option but has those restrictions too. So I stuck with the normal insurance so I can use the truck.

Problem with normal insurance is they treat it as just an old car and don't give it much value for repair or replacement and they wouldn't accept a current day agree value or appraised value. You get all the liability and unrestricted use, but they don't give it much $ value as an object itself. That works ok with a fairly low value kind if truck, but not good for a high value, restored one.

Basically they assign it a value based on what it sold as new back whenever and that is it. NOT whatever blue book value or similar it might have no matter what condition it is in. I was quite surprised when they told me that.

So, it is good for my driver 2R11 up to now and I just have liability on it. But is not a great choice for the restored Champ I just got. But, I want to use the Champ too. So, I just need to be extra careful with it.

In my search, I could not find a carrier that provided full coverage like it would be for a new car with full actual value. If anyone knows for of one, I'd like to know myself too.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 10:46 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

MetLife

by Lee W.

I think you'll find restrictions across the board. Mine wants me to park it in a secure place at night, can't use it for commercial purposes, and a restriction on the miles driven per year. Doesn't stop me from enjoying it and hauling stuff around.
Premium: about $110/year with a pre-agreed upon value in case of loss.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 11:34 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Hmm, sounds better than my deal with Geico.

by MW

I might look into Metlife for the Champ. I like the agreed value and the ability to actually use it some within reason instead of just treating it like a show queen.

Do you have Metlife for all of your cars or just the Studebakers? My trucks are currently just extra vehicles on our family policy so they don't add that much like they would if they were on their own or were considered the primary vehicles.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 5:04 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Just the Studebaker

by Lee W.

My other vehicles are with, coincidently, Geico. Been thinking about shopping around and finding someone who'll cover ALL my vehicles collectively. Can't remember when I last had a claim and I feel that I'm paying too much with Geico.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 6:03 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Same here

by MW

I'm not sure if I'm paying too much with them compared to others or not. I have never bothered to get a different quote in years. But, basically I have never filed a claim with them or any auto insurance company in my entire life, 30+ years now. I am the kind of person they make tons of money one, yet they still don't want to insure a nice, older truck for just a realistic value. It isn't like I was even asking for something super expensive, just the $15K I paid for it.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 7:27 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Geico

by Anonymous

State Farm offers stated value policies. I have all my insurance with them because I wanted to be able to buy a several million dollar umbrella policy. If you hit someone or someone falls on your sidewalk and decides to sue you, with that much at stake the insurance companies will use their lawyers instead of paying a few thousand and throwing you to the litigious wolves. Nothing is simple or cheap.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 5:45 PM
from IP address 71.83.233.146

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Collector Vehicle Insurance

by Mark57

This is one time when I am glad we have mandated provincial insurance. I have Collector plates on my Transtar and my annual policy - licence and insurance runs about $230/year. This is basic insurance, underinsured motorist protection ($1M), Full Comprehensive $300 deductible w/$200 for windshield, Collision - $500 deductible and $2M 3rd party liability. I can drive and carry whatever I want as long as I don't exceed GVW or drive impaired.

The only limitation is that I cannot drive the truck to work - ever, it is for "pleasure" use which excludes driving to work or school. I know it doesn't help you Ron, but it is interesting to compare.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 7:40 PM
from IP address 70.67.79.19

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

insurance

by Jeff Jones (the Tucson One)

I have all vehicles including my M insured through USAA. Value added coverage on the M is about $180/year with no limitations.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 8:04 PM
from IP address 69.9.28.200

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

USAA sent me to American Collectors

by

I've had USAA for home and auto for more than forty years. They pretty much forced me to go to American Collectors Insurance for coverage for my Studebakers. So far, no complaints, other than having to make two different payments.

jack vines

Posted on May 7, 2014, 9:59 PM
from IP address 67.171.58.56

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

In British Columbia the socialist insurance company

by Peter

we dealt with as they are the only ones available. You would pay around $260.00 a year for a collector plate and only restriction is cannot drive to and from work or to and from school.
if you Antique plates then you can only use it for show and shines nothing else.
Peter

Posted on May 7, 2014, 10:46 PM
from IP address 174.1.233.61

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Insurance for trucks

by Ted

Ron: I have been with State Farm since high school. My 60 champ and 84 Mercedes are considered daily drivers and are with State Farm with a set value. All my other trucks are with Hagerty

Posted on May 7, 2014, 11:04 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Insurance

by Dieseless Jim

I had both my 3R11 and 8E45 insured with Farmers. Both trucks were insured for appraised value. Ok to pull trailers. Don't remember and limitations.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 11:37 PM
from IP address 23.119.113.118

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

insurance

by

We have State Farm on the house and all the cars.
Last year they replaced a windshield in my F-250 in a horse barn at the South Bend Fairgrounds (caught a rock going thru Chicago. Later they replaced a windshield in Mama's Fusion in Longmont, CO as we caught a rock on the way home from Colorado Springs., They also replaced the wiring harness in my Avanti after my voltage regulator shorted out on the way to St. Louis for the Zone Meet.
No complaints here.

Posted on May 15, 2014, 9:05 PM
from IP address 107.182.198.143

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Insurance for trucks

by

I use the same company for my '52 2R5 as I do for my two cars and Ford F150 - Horace Mann/Teacher's Insurance. Good coverage for $76 for 6 months. Have you checked with your Brand X's insurer?

Posted on Jun 2, 2014, 7:17 AM
from IP address 67.253.46.44

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Have you visited the STF site lately?

by Brian Dahl

Check out the photo on the home page! happy.gif
Thanks Frank
Brian

Posted on May 7, 2014, 3:58 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Wonder who owns that rig?????

by Jim Sinclair

Lookin' real good Brian, Nice job!

Posted on May 7, 2014, 6:12 PM
from IP address 174.54.80.141

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I like the way Frank gave the photo a "vintage" look!

by Brian Dahl

Thanks for the nice comment, Jim. happy.gif
Brian

Posted on May 7, 2014, 8:19 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I thought a rig like this.....

by Frank from Germany

...........earns the honor to be on the first place happy.gif
Have fun
Frank

Posted on May 8, 2014, 1:35 PM
from IP address 88.78.188.31

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Front Bumber

by

I am hot rodding a 1951 2R Truck. I am putting a GM front clip on the truck so the front pan will be gone, a bumper will be flush against the truck.
What other make/model/year front bumpers work on a Studebaker 2R? I was looking for a bumper that has a natural fit and lines that look good on a Studebaker truck
thanks

Posted on May 6, 2014, 5:12 PM
from IP address 173.11.117.169

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

In the same boat

by Ron C.

I have been looking for one for my 2R with a Camaro clip as well. A buddy has one with a late 40s Ford F1 that looks pretty good but to me is a little short. Saw a custom fitted Camaro bumper that was cool but seemed like a lot of work. Maybe early Chevy?

Posted on May 6, 2014, 7:29 PM
from IP address 76.0.118.52

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Front Bumber

by Ted

Mike; if you are looking for the OEM look try find a rear bumper for a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck. If that is not successful Order a rear bumper front bumper for a Zip van from Studebaker International. It is nearly the same and would fill in straight real nice on the front of your truck.

Posted on May 6, 2014, 10:40 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I put a stock M series on my M pickup

by Randy Wilkin

Wasn't easy ,since my truck is setting on a Chevy frame and the gear box is on front outside of frame, but it can be done . Can see pictures at top of page on additional .

Posted on May 7, 2014, 6:49 PM
from IP address 71.72.228.252

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Front Bumber

by Junkyarddog

I have a R and an E both , one of my parts trucks is a 57 Transtar with the fiberglass front nose section and it has a flat across front bumper if you can find one it would look good and it's Studie.

Posted on May 15, 2014, 1:16 AM
from IP address 204.195.57.146

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

M5 Running Boards

by

Looking for a couple opinions here. I'm taking the M5 running boards in to be media blasted and will then have a choice to powder coat them or paint them. What do you guys think? Also, should they be a gloss black or semi-gloss?

Posted on May 6, 2014, 1:29 PM
from IP address 68.6.33.64

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I'm a convert on powder coating.

by Lee W.

Used to think it was an extravagant expense. But I've had several pieces powder coated and I don't think it is anymore expensive than painting and I feel that the coverage is superior.

Posted on May 6, 2014, 6:56 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

running boards

by Jeff Jones (the Tucson one)

I used gloss black chassis paint from Eastwood--it is not quite as shiny as a regular gloss black and holds up really well. I don't have any experience with powder coat.

jj

Posted on May 6, 2014, 7:01 PM
from IP address 69.9.28.200

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Eastwood gloss black, match the black fender on Toto

by

Posted on May 10, 2014, 2:56 AM
from IP address 98.190.131.202

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Running boards

by Rod Byrd

Powder coating is fine, but if you plan to step on them to get into the truck, you may find cracks in the coating.........As the boards will flex when stepped upon.
My painter did mine in Por 15 thinned with acetone and sprayed on.
It was gloss black. I installed a step plate to avoid scratches.
.......No problems 3 years and counting....

Posted on May 6, 2014, 10:08 PM
from IP address 75.105.196.255

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Powder coat 'em.......

by

I had mine power coated and even though I do step on them, they are just fine after a couple 4 years or so. I did mine in a satin black that made me cringe a few times after I got them back. Maybe I shoulda' had them done in gloss but they do look good. Could be I just got used to them. Either way, properly prepped and painted they will look great and wear well.

Posted on May 6, 2014, 10:39 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Transtar Hood

by

I need a hood for my '58 Transtar . I am in New York.

Posted on May 6, 2014, 1:18 PM
from IP address 166.137.101.47

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

transtar hood,

by

I have a nice one.

Posted on May 6, 2014, 5:06 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Vote for your personal favorite Studebaker truck year/model

by

On another thread, I suggested I preferred the cheapo Scotsman because it didn't have the fiberglass grille.

This suggested a discussion of personal favorites and why. All the Studebaker trucks have been beautiful, but even in Miss Universe, there's a 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

JMHO, but I prefer the '54-55 3/4t because of the one-piece windshield, the grille design and the Budd wheels. I actually like the look of the '54 small rear window, but the '55 E12 wins because of the V8.

A close second would be a 1949 1-ton pickup equipped with the cast spoke Dayton detachable rim wheels. That was one butch pickup.

Bottom line, I'm sure sharing this will bring to light the subtle differences not noticed by those who don't own your personal fave.

jack vines

Posted on May 6, 2014, 11:52 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Well, Champs are my latest favorite.

by MW

And they use to be my least favorite. And, I still like the 2R trucks for their simplicity and fresh design when they first came out.

But, I like pretty much any of them although I don't really know all that much about the 20-30's trucks.

But, one question, I'm pretty sure the '49 2R15 1-ton trucks never had an option for the Dayton wheels like the early M series trucks did. have you ever seen an example of one with those wheels? If so, I'd really like to see that. As far as I am aware, they only ever had the Budd type wheels. My 2R15 1-ton has the Budd wheels and it was made in Oct. '48 if I recall.

Posted on May 6, 2014, 2:02 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Yes, one and only one

by

There is at least one '49 1T pickup with Dayton 17" wheels. I saw it in SoCal about ten years ago. It was a rural fire service truck. Might have been special ordered.

jack vines

Posted on May 6, 2014, 11:22 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Although I Own and Love the M-5's . . .

by Dulany

I think the best looking are the '54-'55 models, just the unique look of the headlights/rims and grill

Posted on May 6, 2014, 2:21 PM
from IP address 71.10.208.80

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

The '54-'55 really works for me too.

by Jeff S.

I'd trade both my '51 (2R5) and the '59 (4E1) project in for a '54-'55 driver. So, I keep looking. Jeff S.

Posted on May 8, 2014, 11:47 PM
from IP address 71.252.184.84

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Vote for your personal favorite Studebaker truck year/model

by Bob W

Overall I think the '38 Coupe Express is my favorite followed by the '37 then the '39.

Postwar I like the M5 best. If I had to drive one unmodified I would have to go with a Champ, though!

Posted on May 6, 2014, 3:01 PM
from IP address 75.146.34.253

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

by 2R5

Personally I like the R series , those trucks were designed by Bob Burke and they had the 2 piece windshield and the smaller back window . When those 2 items got changed it took away from his original design......just my opinion

Posted on May 6, 2014, 3:46 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Favorite Truck

by

Would have to be one like this: An 8E 2 Ton HD with HD 289 V8 and a 5 Spd O/D ahead of a 2 speed rear axle (geared for highway use). Flatdeck of 12 -16'. happy.gif

Posted on May 6, 2014, 3:57 PM
from IP address 64.251.74.60

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

vote

by vern

I have had about all from 37 coupe express, 51 R5, 55 with 6. 56 with v8, some champs, I did not like the champs. best are the R 49 to 53

Posted on May 6, 2014, 5:05 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Any Stude Factory 4 x 4 Butt Demonstrator!!!!!!

by Bill Fowler / Solo Speed Shop

MARK FROM CA 1959 STUDEBAKER 4x4 THE DEMONSTRATOR! WINS MY VOTE! WINNER! TROPHY! MARK GO KISS THE TROPHY GIRL! BILL FOWLER!!!

Posted on May 6, 2014, 6:23 PM
from IP address 23.240.167.249

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymous

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on May 6, 2014, 9:50 PM
from IP address 108.185.181.12

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

by

1937 J5 Coupe-Express for me. Love the '38 &'39 C-E, my '46 M5 the 2R5 as well. But Studebaker really reached their Art Deco pinnacle with the '37 models. Still kicking myself for not pursuing a J5 that I had the opportunity to acquire for $1500 about 20 years ago... sad.gif

Regards-HW

Posted on May 6, 2014, 6:28 PM
from IP address 162.202.20.38

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I'm with you Jack, this is my favorite...

by Lee W.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

When I bought my current truck, I wasn't real fond of the looks. But it was a turn-key deal and I've learned to like it. I had a lady tell me that she liked its "face".

Posted on May 6, 2014, 6:48 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Favorite Stude trucks

by Zane

It is hard for me to pick a favorite! I love all 4x4 Studes. I love the looks of the M15 with a pickup box and Dayton Cast wheels, and all coupe express trucks. But I think the most beautiful trucks are the 55's. I love the grille and the old hood. I don't own one but I would like to. The 56's are a little cleaner looking but the Transtar hood just doesn't do it for me. I think the 56 trucks had the best two tone paint scheme. I have been working on a members Champ pickup, and I have fallen in love with it! I am a 3/4 ton and bigger truck guy. Budd wheels on any truck are just cool! My 2 cents.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 12:14 AM
from IP address 209.210.22.1

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Favorite Truck

by Jim Mackey

Jack, I think the 56 and before C cabs look the best.

Posted on May 7, 2014, 12:19 AM
from IP address 67.232.67.196

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

For me, and probably because I own one

by Brian Dahl

the '57 3E14 w/9' bed is my favorite. I like the styling, the fiberglass grill, the directional/parking lights on the front fenders, the 9' bed, the swing back tail lights, the color and the list goes on and on. The truck brings the crowds at events, like no other. It's not the fastest puppy on the road, but, not intended to be. Above all, I have to thank Ted Jensen for putting the truck in the condition it is! happy.gif
All that said, I also like the Coupe Express and any of the 4x4 models. Some real cool Studebaker fire trucks out there also! Until 2012 I never paid much attention to Studebaker. Now, I wouldn't drive another vintage model! Along with the "brand", there are also some very nice Stude truck nuts out there! happy.gif
JMHO

Brian

Posted on May 7, 2014, 3:56 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Favorite stude truck

by

I like Jack like many different models of Stude trucks. I like 57(I was born in 57 and first truck i ever drove was my Grandpa's 3E40 grain truck) I have an 3E6. deluxe. It will be a beautiful truck when done.
Next is 2E7 I have one of these too. But the STude truck I really want is a US6!

Posted on May 7, 2014, 5:47 PM
from IP address 70.215.192.41

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Favorite truck

by Dieseless Jim

Can't beat the scream of the Detroit Diesel. 4-53, 5 speed direct, 3 speed aux trans, 5:47 hi side axel, cast spoke hubs, rideing on 22.5 rubber. Color it orange with a 16 foot flat bed. It is now in George O. stable. Jim

Posted on May 7, 2014, 11:55 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Favorite truck

by JeffR

Gotta admit.. I am a bit biased towards the '37 J5....

[linked image]

Posted on May 8, 2014, 8:54 AM
from IP address 98.101.223.131

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Favorite Studebaker truck...

by Frank Drumheller

I love 'em all, but the 1955 line is my favorite. The 1955 has the cleanest look, not overdone with 'trinkets' from the car stylists. Frank

Posted on May 8, 2014, 11:37 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

M series, particularly M16's are my favorite

by

Posted on May 10, 2014, 2:54 AM
from IP address 98.190.131.202

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Hard to beat

by 62champ

those trucks offered by Studebaker in the late '30s...

[linked image]

Posted on May 14, 2014, 8:42 AM
from IP address 98.23.20.35

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

55 & 56 are my favorites....!

by Dan Martin

56 is my birth year, so I'm partial to that. But, for pure styling I think the 55 is the best combo.

Posted on May 14, 2014, 12:50 PM
from IP address 206.49.63.193

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

by Mason

The 1 ton's from 48 to 56, a 56 1 ton 9' bed ...and the Paxton Products R2 Champ. I may try to clone it someday... I am happy with my slightly modified 55 E5.

Posted on May 19, 2014, 10:12 PM
from IP address 75.34.195.44

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Nice truck spotted

by

While in Portland driving on Sandy Blvd near a Wallmart yesterday I spotted this fine specimen in a parking lot across the street.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/v0f97gg0ztoshzm/wLEUl0jrof

Posted on May 6, 2014, 11:10 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Nice looking survivor

by Lee W.

Posted on May 6, 2014, 11:32 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Less is more

by

The cheapo Scotsman without the fiberglass grille is, IMHO, the best looking of all the '57-64 Stude trucks.

Of course, I'll always vote for the '54-55. What is your personal favorite? In fact, I'll start a poll.

jack vines

Posted on May 6, 2014, 11:42 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Scotsman Pic..... Park lghts ?

by jackb

The truck shows additional park lights below the heads....original or added ? My '53 has same small lights..

Posted on May 6, 2014, 4:57 PM
from IP address 74.92.26.185

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Scotsman had small turn signals below the headlights from the factory.

by Lee W.

They were as shown in the picture, not the little lights that were integral with the headlights as you're thinking of.

Posted on May 6, 2014, 8:30 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Just noticed....

by Lee W.

....it's a long bed with a V-8. I wonder how unusual is that?

Posted on May 7, 2014, 6:23 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

'53 2R6: Springs' Question

by jackb

The PO of this truck was in the process of lowering the stance. He pulled out some leaves and installed blocks. He saved everything removed and I wish to return it to the stock height (or close to it). What is the correct number of leaves, front and back, for this truck ? Once installed, can I carry 1000 lbs in the back ? You know; cord wood, mulch, etc... The rear leaves appear very narrow, and I'm sure correct. Also, the shop manual with the truck jumps from R5 - R10,11,+. I don't see any mention of 2R6. Can I assume that I should simply go by the 1/2 ton info ? 2R5 ?

Posted on May 6, 2014, 10:14 AM
from IP address 71.174.48.214

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

springs

by 2R5

I have a '52 , 2R6 original and the rears have 11 springs , front 10

Posted on May 6, 2014, 10:30 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

springs

by vern

My 2 R 6 has 10 in front, 2 R 5 had 9 in front, I took some out of the rear of mine for better ride, don't remember how many it had , 5 and 6 had same in rear, front on 6 different for heaver motor

Posted on May 6, 2014, 11:10 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

springs

by jackb

Well my truck (2R6) has up front: 6 on the driver's and 9 on the pass. side. Out back: 8 per side..... I will re-install the 4 removed leaves out back and see what things look like. I plan on "working" this truck with the occasional mulch (1yd) and some other loads. I doubt the inbalance up front is a major concern in that respect.. I would've thought the truck would prefer more on the driver's front seeing as I once had a Champ truck with a spacer....(talked about here).....

Posted on May 8, 2014, 9:03 AM
from IP address 71.174.48.214

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: '53 2R6: Springs' Question

by Skip Lackie

The info you got from 2R5 and Vern is correct. Your truck originally had 10 leaves in front and either 9 (standard) or 11 (HD) in the rear. The 2R6 had slightly heavier springs in the front to accommodate the heavier Commander 6. If your shop manual doesn't cover the 2R6, you have a copy of the first edition, which was later revised to accommodate the Commander 6 engine, which was not initially available in the half-ton pickups.

Posted on May 9, 2014, 9:05 AM
from IP address 76.100.243.102

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

M5 at a Chevy show

by Rod Byrd

We took a chance and entered the Classic Chevy Show in Chatsworth CA
350 cars were entered.
Son of a Gun..........We came home with a piece of crystal!!

[linked image]

Posted on May 5, 2014, 10:42 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Way To Go Rod!

by Bill Fowler / Solo Speed Shop

Hey Rod I was there & saw your Truck You deserve that Trophy! Nice Truck! I had the 56 Chevy 210 Hardtop Found by The Pickers! Yellow & Green 28K Orig Miles! Left early & didn't see you get your trophy! Congrads! Bill

Posted on May 5, 2014, 11:08 PM
from IP address 104.34.115.19

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Way To Go Rod!

by Rod Byrd

Thanks Bill,
I was really impressed at the turnout for the show
It was great for the San Antonio Boys Ranch Charity.
And......They were some really sweet Chevies there.....

Posted on May 5, 2014, 11:50 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Would like to chat more about your truck with you Rod....

by

I am currently working on an M5 and would like to move forward with a good shop. Would like to speak with you about some of your possible contacts you used to work on your project!

Posted on May 6, 2014, 3:31 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I missed it...!

by Eric L

I wished I would have had a chance to go check your truck out so I could have gotten some tips from you! I frequent Chatsworth from time to time to hit the Cowboy Palace.
Congrats on your trophy!

Posted on May 6, 2014, 1:48 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Always good to bring home the bacon! :-)

by Brian Dahl

CONGRADULATIONS!
Brian

Posted on May 6, 2014, 3:58 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Bigger version of Rod's picture

by Bob W

Very cool. Had to find a way to see that up close:

[linked image]

Posted on May 6, 2014, 8:07 AM
from IP address 75.72.146.216

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Engine skipping

by andy

Guys
Having problems with my 49 2r10. 6 cyl champion engine all standard set up 6 volts ignition. Problem i'm having is when i accelerate the engine, or change speeds under load, the engine skips bad. At an idle or constant load it runs smooth. Engine starts descent both hot and cold but can't get rid of the skip. I believe it is either a problem with the accelerator pump in the carb (which has been rebuilt) or it's an ignition problem possibly the points are jumping. Everything seem s to be set up correctly, timing, point gap etc. Plug wires are new, new plugs, points, condenser, cap have no time on them. Any ideas would be helpful

Posted on May 5, 2014, 9:39 PM
from IP address 155.109.5.26

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Start with the battery and cables

by

A six volt system doesn't have any juice to spare.

1. Make sure the battery is charged. Remove the clamps, clean the battery posts and the inside of the clamps. Follow the cables to the other end and clean both the positive and the ground connections.
2. Are the cables real thick 6V cables? Often, they've been swapped out for the skinny 12V stuff. It won't carry enough juice.

3. Check the connections from the ignition to the coil, the coil to the distributor. Does the distributor have the internal ground? Check the wire from the points to the coil with an Ohm meter. When in doubt, try another condenser. The Chicom stuff we're getting these days is junk.

4. Pull the distributor and have it checked on a Sun machine. This stuff is now more than sixty years old. Bushings wear, centrifugal advance wears, cam wears.

jack vines

Posted on May 5, 2014, 10:48 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Not enough juice

by

When you say "there's not enought juice," what do you mean? Does the engine crank but won't start or does the starter not crank the engine at all or crank it to slowly to start? If you clearify the situation maybe we could give better advise.

Regards,
Ernie

Posted on May 12, 2014, 12:45 AM
from IP address 67.142.182.26

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Engine skipping

by Jim Stengl

I think your points are bouncing. Some points come with a real weak spring and a separate helper spring that is installed over the spring that is part of the points. If this separate spring is not installed your engine will run like crap when it is reved up.

Posted on May 6, 2014, 7:20 AM
from IP address 70.194.142.248

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Thanks

by andy

Guys, thanks for the quick response. I checked all the wires AGAIN!! Found the power lead to the coil loose inside the stake-on, the wire looked a bit overheated. I cut it back and installed a new stake-on. The skipping has reduced significantly but has not completely gone away. That being said, i'm quite certain it is an ignition problem not the carberator. I will replace the coil next it is probably overheated now as well then work my way through each component until i get it right. The distributer itself seems to be tight, no wiggle in the shaft and the wear on the cap is even all the way around. I will update when this is resolved
Thanks

Posted on May 6, 2014, 8:07 PM
from IP address 155.109.5.26

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Engine skipping

by

Check the float level in your carburetor. Remove the top of the carburetor and check the distance from the top of the float to the top edge of the carburetor casting. It is supposed to be approximately 5/32". If it is below this dimension you are lacking fuel to accelerate. Also check the fuel line check valve which is what the float activates, it could be sluggish in opening all the way. Sometimes the little pin has a rubber tip which can degrade if it is not compatible with ethanol fuels.
Replace it with a viton tipped pin or an all metal pin.

Posted on May 6, 2014, 9:23 PM
from IP address 71.139.148.147

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Vern

by Bo

Have you a good steering box for 59 1/2 ton?

Posted on May 5, 2014, 9:11 PM
from IP address 71.49.14.246

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

not sure

by

Posted on May 6, 2014, 1:03 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

steering box

by R-Bucket

Bo,

Ill check, I at one time had three. I know I have one I checked all out and painted and another that was taken apart and the column removed and looked good and another. Ill look when sun comes up see if I can help.

Derick

Posted on May 6, 2014, 6:33 AM
from IP address 72.160.119.27

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

summer is here

by vern

summer came today, 105 at 5 pm. didn't think it would ever get here. put 100 miles on merc today , just cruisin

Posted on May 5, 2014, 12:32 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Vern, the heat you've been having......

by Brian Dahl

hasn't caused you to break out the Speedos, has it? Now THAT'S a scary thought! happy.gif
Brian

Posted on May 5, 2014, 6:14 AM
from IP address 50.153.127.6

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

no speedo yet.

by vern

Posted on May 5, 2014, 10:46 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Hey Vern,

by

do you have a weather station on your property? I see one in your area on weatherunderground.

Register your 2R truck at http://www.2rtruck.need-a-geek.com/ It's free!
Register your M truck at http://mtrucks.need-a-geek.com/ It's free!

Posted on May 5, 2014, 3:18 PM
from IP address 184.12.160.73

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

weather

by vern

I think they have one at the high school for local and natinol weather, 4 block west of me.

Posted on May 5, 2014, 8:24 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

57-60 Truck Parts Catalog

by

I have a 57-60 Truck Parts Catalog For Sale, good condition, 35.00 including postage. If interested, email me by clicking on my name.
[linked image].html?filters[user]=140131544&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Posted on May 4, 2014, 6:23 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Sorry the picture link didn't work......

by Jim Sinclair

can't figure the pic posting thing out?????????

Posted on May 4, 2014, 8:49 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

You're not alone Jim.

by Brian Dahl

Posted on May 5, 2014, 7:03 AM
from IP address 50.153.126.131

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Pictures from Show and Swap (lots)

by Bob W

I know I missed a couple but here are most of the trucks there.

Steve Green and his beautiful Champ:
Untitled

A fully decked out M:

I had to buy one of these:

Bill and Ted... Rats, this should have turned out better:

Digger Dave Molnar's super-charged M5 with independent front suspension:

Posted on May 4, 2014, 4:31 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Great pics Bob.......

by Jim Sinclair

any time in SB is always fun. Wish we could have been there, but Dover is this years priority.
Thanks for sharing them with us!

Posted on May 4, 2014, 5:02 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I don't know...

by Don s

If my M15a will ever look like any one of those.
But...I'm having fun!

All are very nice!

Posted on May 4, 2014, 6:17 PM
from IP address 96.35.110.220

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

This truck looks familiar...

by Lee W.

...is this George DeBono's 3/4 ton?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70716191@N00/13919921517

Lot of nice looking trucks!

Posted on May 4, 2014, 8:06 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: This truck looks familiar...

by 2R5

The new owners name is Jim ? He just bought the truck out of California.

Posted on May 4, 2014, 8:34 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Yes your right George's old truck

by Peter

Sold from Turning wheels last month or at least that is what MW found out.
Peter

Posted on May 4, 2014, 8:43 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

how much did the tailgates cost?

by peter

and who was selling them.
Peter

Posted on May 4, 2014, 8:45 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Tailgate and P/U Box Parts Mfr

by JeffR

Mack Products manufactures and sell tailgates and box parts...

http://mack-products.com/products-page/studebaker/

Posted on May 4, 2014, 9:38 PM
from IP address 72.10.80.240

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: how much did the tailgates cost?

by Bob W

Without teasing you too much, take a closer look at the picture wink.gif

They are $375 and they had M, C-cab, and T-cabs. I got this at Studebaker International. I didn't know they were being repopped so this was a pleasant surprise. While I'd love to get one cheaper, I sure can't repair the one I have for less than that. It is pretty beat up. Without question the tailgate is the single most important piece of sheet metal on any pickup truck. When someone sees an old truck they make a bee-line for the back to see what kind it is.

Posted on May 4, 2014, 9:46 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: how much did the tailgates cost?

by JeffR

Prices are right on the Mack page....

Studebaker |
Mack Products » Shopping Cart » Studebaker
Bed Front: Studebaker: 1949-55
No Image
Die stamped paint grip steel. 48 1/2? wide.
Price: $160.00

Bed Front: Studebaker: 1941-48
No Image
Die stamped paint grip steel. 48 1/4? wide.
Price: $140.00

Tailgate: Studebaker: 1941-48
No Image
Formed paint grip steel. 48 1/2? wide.
Price: $275.00

Tailgate: Studebaker: 1949-55
No Image
Formed paint grip steel. 48-7/8 Wide.
Price: $275.00

Tailgate: Studebaker: 1956-59
No Image
Formed paint grip steel. 51-7/8 Wide.
Price: $295.00

Posted on May 5, 2014, 6:53 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Hard to justify spending much time repairing one...

by Lee W.

....at that price.

Posted on May 5, 2014, 11:49 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

OG & Scotty at Ladysmith

by

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Posted on May 4, 2014, 7:37 AM
from IP address 71.114.6.234

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: OG & Scotty at Ladysmith

by JeffR

Love it!
(The microwave looks out of place, though )....

Posted on May 4, 2014, 7:59 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

You're definatley roughing it !

by Dave (Australia)

I can tell by the microwave and the air conditioner.
Looks like a great set up, have fun. cheers Dave.

Posted on May 5, 2014, 5:28 AM
from IP address 124.170.22.182

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

WOW John, thanks for posting!

by Brian Dahl

Yesterday was a great day! happy.gif. Due to a bike race closing streets in Richmond, I put OG on the freeway for the first time. Travelled at 45-50 in the right lane and didn't have any problem at all! The show was located north of Richmond, and for me about a 100 mile round trip. Show was great! Show supported the Ladysmith VFD, and they really know how to do a show right! Even had a live band on stage.
I did win a few items on ticket drawings, but at the end, when awards were announced, Old Girl took Top Vintage Truck, and the Scotty won the Speciality Vehicle award! Not bad.
Sure missed John not being there, this year, with MPH, but he had prior commitments.
OG never knew the Scotty was back there! Very little gas used on this trip. happy.gif
Brian

PS. The trailer has been converted entirely to electric. No propane or 12V on this thing. Air conditioner, referigerator, heater, coffee maker, toaster and microwave are all electric. This trailer reflects vintage, with modern upgrades. Microwave is not mounted, and rides on trailer floor when traveling. Formica countertop will be cut out to install SS sink/faucet I have, 10 gal freshwater tank will be installed under couch, and grey water holding tank under sink. Porta potty with privacy screen also in the works. Amazing how so much can be packet into 9-1/2 feet!

Posted on May 4, 2014, 8:28 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Good Stuff Brian !

by Dan Martin

Posted on May 4, 2014, 10:18 AM
from IP address 70.208.129.242

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Looking "GREAT" Brain

by Jim Beadle

Posted on May 5, 2014, 7:45 AM
from IP address 184.6.18.12

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Thunderbirds are go ?

by Anonymous

Posted on May 6, 2014, 2:53 AM
from IP address 124.168.126.80

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: WOW John, thanks for posting!

by Ted

Real nice presentation Brian.

Posted on May 5, 2014, 10:40 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Bet that truck

by 62champ

did not even know that trailer was back there...

Guess the only issue might be running a duct from the AC to the cab of the truck when things really start to warm up...

Looks great and thanks for posting.

Posted on May 6, 2014, 9:16 AM
from IP address 98.19.149.246

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

M5 parts

by

Hi I am looking for m5 fenders . bumpers . grill . Thank You my email robinwr2003@yahoo.com or call 765-271-2936

Posted on May 4, 2014, 7:14 AM
from IP address 98.220.190.0

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Saw this in Ashland,Or.

by Lee W.

Posted on May 4, 2014, 12:34 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

front bumper

by

I do not think that is a dealer option front bumper. Might hold up to a 3 mile an hour hit!!

Posted on May 4, 2014, 12:33 PM
from IP address 209.179.9.37

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

M5 Passenger side door latch

by

I need one! SI is now send them one to rebuild and wait - and I would rather not drive my truck for that time period
Any one rebuild their own?
Any other year/models work - for EBAY search???
Thanks

Posted on May 3, 2014, 9:29 AM
from IP address 67.188.52.81

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

R and M same latch

by

I may have a good used one, am out of new for rite side.

Posted on May 3, 2014, 9:53 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Loaner

by

Heading home from Wa. I can probably set you up with a "loaner" until you get yours re- built. E-mail me.

Posted on May 3, 2014, 11:30 AM
from IP address 173.164.77.14

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Rebuld not a DIY job

by

Mike - Vern's statement that the M and the R door latches are the same make my experience perhaps applicable. Both my 2R10 latches had the same failure - a sharply bent 90 degree tang on a torsion spring had broken at the bend, just where you would expect corrosion and the severe cold work due to forming to act up together. If SI replaces this spring with new in their rebuild and does not use a workaround, then the chances of a DIYer finding a replacement spring would appear nil, as it is obviously a specialty item. I was lucky, as SI still had some of the NOS latches on hand. Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to how SI rebuilds the latches. Do they use new manufacture springs or do they have a workaround that eliminates the need? Curious. Good luck, Mike.

Posted on May 3, 2014, 12:50 PM
from IP address 76.121.79.0

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

M-5 Passanger door latch

by Bo

I may have an NOS one?

Posted on May 5, 2014, 7:06 PM
from IP address 71.49.14.246

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Thanks Vern

by Anonymous

Got it today

Posted on May 8, 2014, 9:44 PM
from IP address 67.188.52.81

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Cassandra and Bryan from New Zealand needs your help

by Frank from Germany

Just get a sign up for the Studebaker Truck Farmers from Cassandra and Bryan from New Zealand.
Maybe one of you can help them.

Here is the message:

Hi from New Zealand,

What an awesome internet site!

We have a M16 Studebaker Truck currently undergoing a full restoration. It has 56425 original miles on the clock. It will have a Holmes recovery winch fitted on completion. Not sure of colour schemes yet but originally she was Red. We have it completely in bits at the moment & not a sign of rust anywhere thanks to the Californian desert we found it in.

Once restoration is complete we intend to drive our Studebaker frequently on short & long journeys, we have a Classic Commercial truck group that we belong to & have taken our other old trucks on multiple trips within New Zealand, sometimes our trips are about 3000 miles so we cover some serious country.

We are hoping that someone within the group may have a photo of a M16 & a M5 side by side - over here in NZ we drive on the other side of the road to you guys & our transport authority is wanting us to convert our M16 to Right hand drive due to its size, we could drive an M5 unconverted as a left hand drive & would like to show that the size difference is not immense but do not have any photos of the two models side by side to prove our point!

Cheers, Cassandra & Bryan

Posted on May 2, 2014, 9:04 PM
from IP address 80.149.83.98

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

can help

by danny

First off join the Studebaker drivers club how have heap of knowledge along with a excellent parts store and can access from USA
I will try to find a photo of both models together taken at Watchorn in north island
Heavy left hand drive veicles can be reg and cof but are no allowed to carry any load
Contact me at danny-lynley@ihug.co.nz or 035788662

Posted on May 2, 2014, 9:21 PM
from IP address 210.246.45.240

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

1951 2R5 back glass

by

Time to install rear cab glass. How does the seal fit in? Manual explains putting glass & seal inside and pulling string to get flap over metal flange. But the seal seems to have a really large flap on one side and not on the other. Does the large flap end up on the inside of the cab? I didn't remove glass.

Posted on May 2, 2014, 4:59 PM
from IP address 50.96.240.179

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

back glass

by vern

wide lip is on inside, covers edge of head liner panel, I use soap and a 1/8 in nylon cord, some body inside, some body out side, slips rite in.

Posted on May 2, 2014, 6:19 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Installing Auto Glass (with string)

by JeffR

Just watch this video...
Jeff

http://youtu.be/QvcJ_lU_VpQ

Posted on May 4, 2014, 7:50 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Nice!

by Don s.

Posted on May 4, 2014, 10:53 AM
from IP address 96.35.110.220

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

install

by vern

studebaker glass goes in just as easy, only from the inside, rope on the out side

Posted on May 4, 2014, 1:07 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

57-8 windshield

by

anybody got a decent used windshield for cheap?
need a good un.

Idiot media (soda) blaster ruined the glass by using sand.....
Drunken BUM

Posted on May 2, 2014, 12:52 PM
from IP address 146.217.200.214

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Windshield

by

Got one in the attic in South Bend. Haven't seen it in years. wasn't cracked. Don't remember any thing else.

Posted on May 2, 2014, 2:59 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Scale Model Stude Trucks

by JeffR

Frontier Resin Design has some neat Stude models available...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/frontier_resin_design/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Posted on May 2, 2014, 7:59 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Bit pricy!

by Brian Dahl

Noted bidding started at $70! sad.gif

Posted on May 2, 2014, 8:35 AM
from IP address 168.244.11.7

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

That's because they have the rare rear bumpers and fuel tanks!

by Dean

Posted on May 2, 2014, 2:28 PM
from IP address 156.142.51.155

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Visit to the sweltering Northwest.

by Lee W.

Cousin Bob and I visited a couple of Studebaker afficionados these past couple of days, Keith Mifflin on Wednesday and Neil Wollam today. Had a good time visiting, swapping stories. And it was great to associate faces to the names. Temperatures are in the mid-eighties here, georgeous.

Posted on May 1, 2014, 9:02 PM
from IP address 76.104.172.220

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

What, no photos?

by MW

happy.gif

Has been hot down here as well, but guess you are not missing it!

Posted on May 2, 2014, 1:03 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Witness Protection Program. :-)

by Lee W.

Posted on May 2, 2014, 2:31 PM
from IP address 64.134.24.151

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Visit to Northwest

by

And those nice guys temporarily saved me from painting window sills and cleaning glass on house front. Enjoyed meeting them and probably talked too much. Can get me going if the subject is Studes and I learned another truck parts source. Hope to see them again.

Posted on May 2, 2014, 1:44 AM
from IP address 24.113.205.153

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Need information and Parts

by

So,

I got the dana 44 over to the shop. First thing noted we have a problem. The tub on one side is not only bent, it was welded in past and is cracking again.

What I am not sure of is this. CAN the tube be replaced. If so Any one have one ?

If the Tube can not be replaced. I need to find a Dana 44 rearend for a cab. At this point I need a empty shell tubes and pumpkin. I have 3.43 gears in there want to keep that set up.

Other wise I guess Il pain the 3/4 ton Temkin I have and use it until I can find another shell for nmy gears.

ANY ideas Gooroos ?

Posted on May 1, 2014, 4:12 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

by

I have some 44 housings I could take the gears out of.

Posted on May 1, 2014, 4:35 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Buy one with the gears in it.

by

Much more cost-effective to buy a turnkey rear axle. Dana 44s cost money to set up correctly. They're out there.

jack vines

Posted on May 1, 2014, 9:32 PM
from IP address 67.161.98.171

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Dana 44

by R-Bucket

So,

We don't think I can buy just the housing for my axles and gears to go in? got feelers out for a replacement. Damn maybe I need ot find that active reaend off a police crown vic. This much trouble putting mine back on I might as well go big ! of course I can put the 3/4 temken on it and have a half ton front 3/4 ton rear.

I should re name it to Beast.

Posted on May 1, 2014, 11:27 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Hate to do this

by R-Bucket

Hey all,

I have the temkin out of my 2r10. Friday it is going to scrap if I don't here anything about it or any one needing it. I have to clean some stuff out of the yard. My project is going on hold for about a week while I redo the head gaskets on my wifes land rover. UGH

There is the rear end, entire axle drums and all. Im keeping springs if I can break them loose.

There is also the front end, Im keeping the axle springs and swing arm. Rest drums, front brake stuff is all going to scrap.

Speak up or these parts are Toyota toys in a month.

Derick

Posted on Apr 30, 2014, 10:52 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Keep the brake parts and the axles for a Dana 60 conversion

by

Anyone wanting to put a Dana 60 under a pre-56 could use the brakes and axles on the end of the Dana housing. Not only does it keep the 6-lug look, the brakes are twice as good as those which come on the D60.

jack vines

Posted on Apr 30, 2014, 11:06 PM
from IP address 67.161.98.171

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Keep the brake parts and the axles for a Dana 60 conversion

by danny

Doing a 55 E5 with a Dana 60 that has 8 lug wheels with the same on the front.
Why are the brakes better.
I believe the hubs front and rear are chev surburan
Thanks

Posted on May 2, 2014, 6:54 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

rear drum

by

I am looking for a good rite rear drum for 10 or 11

Posted on May 1, 2014, 6:22 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Drum

by

Vern, I got one in South Bend. Any body at the meet that can bring it to you? Jim

Posted on May 2, 2014, 9:31 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

don't have any body.

by vern

Posted on May 2, 2014, 11:05 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re- I hate to do this

by Peter

I love my Toyota Matrix which is made of Studebaker metal, one of the better vehicles we have owned in a long time, packs lumber etc just as well as the 8E12 did.
The only thing is I don't get the thumbs up like I used to. Though when I'm all loaded up for construction I get the thumbs up as being a stupid thinker.
peter

Posted on May 3, 2014, 2:00 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

th 200 r4

by

Does anyone have experience of installing a th 200 r4 into a stude truck

Posted on Apr 30, 2014, 4:50 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I can give you a good deal on the adapter you need....

by

if you are installing it behind a Stude V-8 JS

Posted on Apr 30, 2014, 7:17 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: I can give you a good deal on the adapter you need....

by danny

No going the chev way.
Parts are so much easier to locate than studes here at the bottom of the world
Thanks for the offer

Posted on May 2, 2014, 6:49 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

delivery

by

Is there anyone here who is going to South Bend and would have the ability and willingness to carry a bench seat for a Champ back to or close to the St. Louis area? If so please write me at the blue name above and I will give you the particulars.

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 2:26 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: delivery

by Ted

Thanks to all who have written. Perhaps I should state that I will bring the seat to SB but my customer needs the seat taken from SB to or near St. Louis

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 7:53 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Champ Bench Seat To STL

by JeffR

(stupid caps lock )

Ted,
Made a call on your behalf, and Jim McCuan is going to bring your bench seat down to STL
(next time he goes to Brad bez's shop)
Have your guy get the seat over to Jim Turners table (Turnber Brakes) and Jim will get it to McCuan to bring back.
Jeff

Posted on May 2, 2014, 11:22 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Champ Bench Seat To STL

by JeffR

Well, I tried..

Posted on May 2, 2014, 12:21 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Stude Truck w/Backhoe - For Sale - Wisconsin

by JeffR

For Sale - Studebaker truck With Backhoe (Wis) - $4000 (4/29/2014)
http://www.allfarmideas.com/private-...ackhoe-Works--

(copy)
Studebaker Truck (late 50's) w/mounted backhoe, Truck engine doesn't run, backhoe engine runs & backhoe works great. Gas engines in both one of a kind

[img][linked image][/img]

[img][linked image][/img]

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 9:08 AM
from IP address 216.136.10.226

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

back hoe

by vern

I could dig my own grave with that, if I bought that my wife would dig it for me.

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 10:14 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

LMAO

by R-Bucket

This is COOL

And we need to dig a foundation for our addition. Showed it to wife and said " Look babe Back Hoe and all to dig foundation"

Her response.

" I draw the line on that one, you are not putting that *#^^#$*# in Our yard."

So sadly no sale here

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 1:26 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Even the original Studebaker brothers might have trouble with this one...

by Rob

...but I like it
R

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 2:04 PM
from IP address 96.49.217.248

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I'm with you...

by Frank Drumheller

on this one, Rob. I like it, also. It's cool, you'd never run into another one on a show field. I hope it is bought by a Studebaker or WWII fanatic so it doesn't wind up in Japan to make little toyota's. Frank

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 4:50 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Link to website, and more pictures

by GS

Whats 4k for such nice yard art. I'd get it but my HOA would not allow it past the gate.

http://www.allfarmideas.com/private-party-listing/3986980/studebaker-truck-with-mounted-backhoe-works-

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 6:18 PM
from IP address 68.99.93.205

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

past gate

by vern

I would buy it just to take down the gate

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 6:28 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Love the

by

steering wheel! I think OSHA might have some issues with the open spindle that close to the BH operator...

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 7:48 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Link to website, and more pictures

by Doug

What part of it is late 50's? Or what part is a Studebaker for that matter? Frame and wheels?

Posted on May 1, 2014, 5:47 PM
from IP address 63.99.29.18

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Probably standard Studebaker WWII era military cab and chassis

by MW

With a 3rd party backhoe unit added to it with the cab mods. It is very rough, so hard to tell, but the cab mods. don't look super professional. So, might not have been put on the truck when new, just added later and sort of hacked on. But, basically looks like the standard Stude cab and chassis with the cab cut in half and modified.

Posted on May 2, 2014, 2:47 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Any one have a C-9 Cab for sale.

by Mark Thompson

If I could get a C-9 cab to put on it I might get it. It is only 60 miles from me.

Posted on May 2, 2014, 5:02 PM
from IP address 70.194.131.5

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Studebaker backhoe - Frank chime in...

by Gary Hearn

The Southern States petroleum dealer in Charlottesville, VA had a conventional backhoe mounted on the back of a Studebaker Transtar truck. Much easier to get on site to dig a hole for a tank. It was red and around a 1960 model if I recall. I think they used it up to the late '70's or early '80's and then I lost track of it. Another fuel distributor had a similar setup, but it was't on a Stude chassis.

Posted on May 2, 2014, 7:44 PM
from IP address 74.139.220.75

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Hey, Gary, good to...

by Frank Drumheller

hear from you. Hope all is well with you and your family. We surely missed you at York this March.

Sorry, but I don't remember either truck in C'ville. Sure would like to be 30 years younger with the resources to bring this one back to it's second life. Reminds me of the military GMC truck we saw at the Chapter meeting when we rode in the Weasel. That was a fun day.

Best wishes and take care. Frank

Posted on May 2, 2014, 9:17 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Backhoe and York

by Gary Hearn

The Studebaker was owned by Carlton Brooks, they were on River Road to the right after crossing Free Bridge headed to town. The other was owned by Charlottesville Oil on 250 just past Farmington. I do not recall what it was mounted on, but it dug a hole for a new tank at our house on Rio Road in the mid '60's.

I was able to make York this year.

Posted on May 3, 2014, 9:47 PM
from IP address 74.139.220.75

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Valves

by

Hello all,

Im still looking for some valves for this champion 6. I got some from ted and need more. Need 1 Intake and 3 Exhaust. I am also in need of all of the springs. Speak up my most favorite folks.

I have this engine sitting in shop waiting on some valves LOL. Its just the machine shop and they do not work at break neck spead so not a huge hurry.

Derick

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 8:53 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: Valves

by DwainG

Garry Kernan sells old stock valves for just about any motor:
Kernan's Valves. 3018 Woods Rd. E., Port Orchard WA 98366,
phone 360 871 2349

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 1:47 PM
from IP address 24.16.178.89

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

RE - VALVES.

by Joe

R-BUCKET, I may have some valves "possibly n.o.s."
email Me at : jzeiger3@yahoo.com

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 10:16 PM
from IP address 72.200.171.27

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Cab back on frame

by Bob W

Untitled

It's really hard to judge a color from a chip and this came out quite a bit more turquois than planned -- I thought it would be a little darker and greener. Luckily my wife loves it which is always the most important thing! I don't think she was ever down with the original plan which was "rusty old truck."

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 7:47 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

wrong color

by

same thing happened when we painted my truck,the price of paint you got to use it. Very nice truck, great job. All the hours are starting to pay off.

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 8:10 AM
from IP address 71.31.50.127

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Very nice Bob...!

by Eric L

I'm going to have to stay in touch with you Bob for advice as I'm attempting a similar feat of resto rodding a V8 in my M5.

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 10:54 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I just adjusted my screens brightness down

by Henry Votel

Looks like 6+ months of snow and staying indoors is starting to pay off. ***NICE***

Henry Votel
Forest Lake, MN

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 12:43 PM
from IP address 75.161.157.124

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Damn

by R-Bucket

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 1:30 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

That is going to be one sharp truck - Get the Stude's out is 18 days away, no problem!

by Dean

It's going to look great, run great and have great tunes!

Have a great time on your pilgrimage to the "holy land" this weekend........

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 2:57 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Lookin Good Bob.......

by Jim Sinclair

I, and I'm sure my neighbor, wishes we were that far on his M. Keep up the great work!
Jim

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 4:42 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Very Nice!!!

by

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 9:03 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

How did you get that V8 to not hit the firewall?

by Eric L

Posted on Apr 30, 2014, 2:08 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: How did you get that V8 to not hit the firewall?

by Bob W

If you look closely you will note that this cab is off an M16 -- it has a deep relief in the firewall for the Commander engine. The M5 cab I used earlier needed a little notch cut out of the firewall to clear the distributor but fit just fine, otherwise. The other tricks were to run the engine without a fan and put the radiator in from the front of the support instead of the back.

Posted on Apr 30, 2014, 7:41 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: How did you get that V8 to not hit the firewall?

by BobW

Oh, and if you got a rectangular radiator that sat entirely in front of the support you could move the engine forward a couple more inches and not make any modifications to an M5 firewall. I'd do that if I had it to do over.

Posted on Apr 30, 2014, 12:28 PM
from IP address 75.146.34.253

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Thanks for the info Bob!

by Eric L

Posted on Apr 30, 2014, 3:56 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

So. Bend Swap Meet

by Tom Molnar AKA Hook

Att. All STF that is going to make the swap meet this week. So. Bend is hosting a car show called Frist Fri. The Michiana Chapter has put thier best foot forward to promote this show for our beloved Studbakers. It take place this fri. up town at the Football Hall Of Fame.Come by 5:30 to register for the BIG SCREEN TV and more. Please pass the word ! Lets show So.Bend That We remember the Studebaker Employess that made our dreams come true!!Have a safe trip . Thank so much Captain Hook

Posted on Apr 28, 2014, 7:44 PM
from IP address 69.35.195.245

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: So. Bend Swap Meet

by 2R5

Good to hear from you Tom !
Will see you there I hope and we are sure planning on going to the down town cruise for sure.

Posted on Apr 28, 2014, 8:50 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Re: So. Bend Swap Meet

by Ted

Tom: sounds like you have been busy, be glad to give you my support.

Posted on Apr 28, 2014, 10:54 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Enjoy, Please post some pictures of the show and swap!

by Dean

For those of us not attending, show us pictures of Studebaker Truck Farmers in South Bend! Have a great time, hope you find (or sell) all the parts you need (or don't need).

Posted on May 2, 2014, 4:23 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Paging John Weinrich: Driveshaft Phasing

by

On Feb 15, John Weinrich and Don Spreeman had a discussion about driveshaft phasing. John gave a good diagram showing in and out of phase. I have an M5 with the optional 4 speed, which is equipped with the splined front driveshaft member. This allows for several degrees of variation between in and out of phase. And...you guessed it...mine is out of phase about a quarter-turn.

May I have a better understanding of: why it has to be in phase; what happens (damage done) when it is out of phase; and should I make this a red hot priority to repair?

Thanks for the input. I have worked on this truck for years, and this is the first time I have heard of the topic.

James

Posted on Apr 28, 2014, 7:37 PM
from IP address 74.226.65.139

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Phasing is required beacuse

by

U-joints "cog" when rotated. The cog action amount is directly proportional to the angle that the two shafts are relative to each other. So the greater the angle the more the cog action.

As the input shaft rotates the drive shaft speeds up and slows down (cogs) and the average speed is exactly the same as the input shaft. This cog action is canceled out by the second U-joint phased to do the opposite. This is why the angle of the input shaft to the drive shaft should be the same angle as the drive shaft to differential so that the cogging of the drive shaft is canceled out. Essentially the input shaft rotates smooth and constant, the drive shaft cogs, and the output shaft then rotates smooth and constant.

If the U-joints are out of phase then there will be vibration transmitted to the differential, tires, and to the road. This usually is felt and heard.

As you can imagine, it is important that the drive shaft be constructed with little mass as possible to reduce the torque loads caused by the cogging.

So you are in high gear and the engine RPM is 2,500. The drive shaft is cogging occurs twice that speed. For each 360 degree rotation of the drive shaft it speeds up, slows down, speeds up, and slows down. At that speed you would expect some sound at 83.3 Hz (5,000 cogs per minute / 60) or note E2.

My advice would be that if you don't notice any vibration or sound from the U-joints out of phase or very little then you should be OK to drive it some. I would minimize driving it and with minimum cargo until the drive shaft is phased correctly. It could be that the shaft angles are very low so the cogging is also low...

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 7:08 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Phase

by

Good explanation. I build driveshafts in my shop all the time. I once had a driveshaft from a military issued Hummer and the yokes welded onto the tube were out of phase from the factory. I refused to work on it because I couldn't get a good explanation as to why. Neal

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 9:42 AM
from IP address 207.109.140.1

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I can't imagine why

by

they would be out of phase. The only exception I have seen are the U-joints at the ends of a front driving axle such as a Dana 44F. The out of phase vibration only occurs when turning. Can't be helped in that instance. How do front wheel cars get around this? They use CV Joints (constant Velocity). CV joint don't cog as the name implies. CV joints are more expensive because they require more complex machining.

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 12:09 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Driveshaft Phasing

by JeffR

Here's a good explanation.

http://www.machineservice.com/technical-101/vibrational-issues/

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHFOnIvRSpzbTOjE88pNrzHrQWU8X8YXERq0AgC9so03Qjvtnt

[imghttps://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHFOnIvRSpzbTOjE88pNrzHrQWU8X8YXERq0AgC9so03Qjvtnt[/img]

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 5:59 PM
from IP address 99.54.110.152

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

I agree, darn good write-up

by

Posted on Apr 29, 2014, 9:46 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Thank you John and others. This type of

by

information is what makes the Truck Farmers such a great group! Good fun mixed with solid technical information. I really appreciate you help, and I know others do as well. James

Posted on Apr 30, 2014, 5:39 AM
from IP address 74.226.65.139

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Wieand or Edmunds Alum Head for 170

by

Anyone know where an aluminum head might be found for my 1949 2R5 170?

Posted on Apr 28, 2014, 7:22 PM
from IP address 67.60.14.195

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Vern, we're...

by Frank Drumheller

concerned here in the East about all the tornado action in your part of the world. Is everything OK? Frank

Posted on Apr 28, 2014, 2:51 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

storm

by vern

storm was about 200 miles south east of me. It was in the very corner of Mo, Ks and oklahoma. I think it missed the indian investment center that my wife and I go to that is at I 40 and hi way 400, all we have had here is wind and dry, 45 to 50 mph west wind all day, supposed to be that way all week, no rain in sight. lot of dirt in the air, thanks for checking on me

Posted on Apr 28, 2014, 7:31 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Vern, glad you are okay!

by Dan Martin

Posted on Apr 28, 2014, 11:44 PM
from IP address 70.208.128.126

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

M5 starter

by

Hey guys, my starter in my 1948 M5 took a dump...worked fine to get engine started and running initially and now all I get is solenoid "click"...rebuild shop wants a ton of money to rebuild mine...heres the question, anyone out there know where I might find a working useable starter? I believe mine has been converted to 12v...its an auto lite MZ4090...thanks in advance...Greg.

Posted on Apr 28, 2014, 11:20 AM
from IP address 67.52.10.218

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

A ton of money

by

is relative, what is a good price for you?

Posted on Apr 28, 2014, 12:47 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

stater

by

have a good starter from a 1957 E5, 12 volt

Posted on Apr 28, 2014, 12:53 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Phone number

by

Hi Ted, Could you please send me your phone number to my e-mail, Thanks, Charles

Posted on Apr 28, 2014, 9:12 AM
from IP address 166.137.244.83

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Find more forums on TrucksCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement