<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Our new rink

February 25 2007 at 10:10 PM
Rick 

Would be nice to say it was great to see so many familiar faces there but as I didn't, I can't. Did see Statler with Winnie in the far distance but not sure whether Nipper was allowed in.

What do I think of the place? Lets start by saying it's great to have local ice again but that's where you start feeling sorry about some of the faults (which you probably have to expect because this place is meant to be temporary)

Ice seemed a bit on the small side. That's not a fault but it was a disappointment that the sight lines from the stands are impaired. Front rows have railings with plexi inside which distorts the view a bit. If you sit further back then you can't see the near side of the ice.

There are useable seats on only one side at the moment which means the capacity is down to 1000 at least until Thursday.

I bet the neighbours will be happy with the way the car park was full very early on and that for only half the final capacity of the rink.

So great to have a rink back but my first reaction is that the Phoenix are less likely to have my money to watch on a casual basis.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Icy Blast

Re: Our new rink

February 26 2007, 12:03 PM 

Well it doesn't feel like "our" rink really yet to me which is one reason I'm leaving it alone at least for now.

Quite interesting to know that certain old stagers from the old rink turned up though!

In fact speaking of things old and looking at photos on Phoneix site the crowd seems somewhat on the mature side, has the Phoenix and the rink got some "next genearation" marketing to do?

Respond to this message   
Rick

February 26 2007, 3:17 PM 

Icy, I chose my words carefully. Clearly if you go and watch the Phoenix, there's going to be a few Phoenix fans there.

Mature ? Probably but that will include me too as my seven year old was quite happily pointing out all my grey hair on Saturday. I wouldn't think there were many newbies there last night and I think they will have to market themselves in the Altrincham and wider Sth Manchester area too. No reason though why the kids can't be brought in on the back of the junior programme.

It is our rink too and the only way to take advantage is to use it. You don't have to watch the Phoenix but you can, for example, see Nipper's U19s in action on Saturday and Sunday mid afternoon.

This message has been edited by AcesAces on Feb 26, 2007 3:18 PM

Respond to this message   
Icy Blast

February 26 2007, 5:05 PM 

That is something I will think about. Thanks.

Respond to this message   
Rick

February 26 2007, 11:18 PM 

U19s face off times are Saturday 2.00 and Sunday 1.15

Respond to this message   
Mark

February 27 2007, 5:40 AM 

As you rightly say we have our new rink at long last it has been a long road since the announcement that the devvy road Rink was closing and the campaign for a replacement rink started.

Also you mentioned about the under 19s and of course there is the return of the rest of the junior development set up in place as well.

As this is an Altrincham Ice Hockey site is there any way Rick that Altrincham Junior fixtures can be posted as they seem to be lacking from the Manchester site or is a case of can not find and welcome a link.

Cheers Mark

Respond to this message   
Learned Robb

February 27 2007, 8:40 AM 

Junior fixtures are available at the following URL:

http://www.manchesterphoenix.co.uk/juniors/fixtures.html

Respond to this message   
Icy Blast

February 27 2007, 10:36 AM 

Guess it would feel more like a community rink if other stuff besides hockey was up and running...although that still seems some way off and forgive me but some Phoenix fans don't seem to recognise its importance (in financially keeping the place open, for one)

Respond to this message   
Mark

February 27 2007, 3:38 PM 

Thanks for the Link Robb as I still can not find the fixtures on the site without the link.

As for Icy Blasts comments there are none as blind as those who dont want to see.

Respond to this message   
Rick

February 27 2007, 3:53 PM 

Mark

Click on the calendar type fixtures grid on the Phoenix site and there's a link to Junior fixtures at the bottom of the page. Not sure face off times are accurate though.

Before a squabble starts, I would guess Icy's comments aren't worded as well as they might have wished to get the message over.

Respond to this message   
Jon

February 28 2007, 12:03 AM 

Its quite simple. The rink wouldn't be open if it wasn't for the hockey. We all know its got 4 teams that need to be in there to get their training and league commitments out the way. When the rink is fully complete, and I acknowledge this maybe after the season finishes, the doors will be fully open to everybody.

I'm looking forward to this weekend very much, 4 games of hockey in 2 days. Can't ask for more.

Respond to this message   
Jon

February 28 2007, 12:25 AM 

Btw times for this weekend:

Saturday - 2pm.
Sunday - 1.15pm.

Free admittance.

Respond to this message   
Mark

February 28 2007, 5:53 AM 

We realise the rink has been open early for the hockey as opposed to being open because of the hockey.

Yes one of the benefactors also owns an ice hockey team which reintroduced the Altrincham development ice hockey set up in the town.

But surely the rink is a community ice rink not an ice hockey rink.

The planning permission was for a community rink not an ice hockey rink.

Without the community aspect at the end of the day surely the rink will fail along with the ice hockey.

Also I believe the planning permission had been granted for a permanent rink in Altrincham before Neil and his partner along with Planet Ice reapplied for I believe a third time to bring a temporary rink to the town.

For this I am thankful but at the end of the day surely however you look at it is a community Ice rink in Altrincham and not a Manchester Ice Hockey rink as your post appears to read Robb

Respond to this message   
Learned Robb

February 28 2007, 8:32 AM 

Robb?

Surely you mean Jon?

I am fully aware of the fact that the rink isa community one, with uses other than ice hockey, as is Neil Morris, who keeps refering to the return of 'ice sports' not 'ice hockey'.

Without figure skating, public skating, speed skating, and possibly even curling, the rink will not work financially.

But, you cannot blame some folks for the belief that the Phoenix have 'made it happen'. The fact is that it has been the Phoenix who were the catalyst in getting the rink built to the specifications it has been. IIRC, the first replacement for the old shed that the council approved was a much smaller facility (@1000 capacity?), and the involvement of the Phoenix has brought a larger, and possibly better facility on instead.

Respond to this message   
Rick

February 28 2007, 9:57 AM 

ENOUGH !!

Robb, Jon (whoever you are !!) - you're basically right - the only thing I'd take issue with you on is the better bit in that the 'Phoenix specification' has left us with a rink where you can't see some of the ice from the stands (and a video wall won't rectify that for me anyway). Aces fans didn't need the bigger capacity because we wouldn't have used it !!

Mark - you have to give the guy time to get the rest of the rink open and allow for the fact that he needs income for the Phoenix now. The long term future of the rink doesn't depend on the Phoenix, it's the money from public skating which is important and I'm sure the rink will be open for that asap.

Respond to this message   
Hobbo

February 28 2007, 10:32 PM 

These games at weekend what age group are they?

Respond to this message   
Rick

March 1 2007, 12:26 AM 

Both U19s

Respond to this message   
Mark

March 1 2007, 5:47 AM 

Sorry for the mix up Robb

Respond to this message   
Statler

March 1 2007, 9:18 PM 

Never saw you on Sunday Rick and your correct it was Winnie I was with.
Had a very informative chat with Mark Johnson.
Les Highway had managed to sneak in with a Comtec top on forfilling some official function. Amazing what you can do with a walkie talkie.
The best view of the ice is on the corners were we watched the match and I would imagine that the seats above will have the best view of the ice as only the nearest boards will be out of view. I prefer standing anyway.
Saw Nipper today on the way home. He blasted his horn at me and it took a few secs to realise who it was. I did'nt see him Sunday either.
Hope to go to at least one of the 19s games this weekend and by all accounts enrty is free??
Possibly see you there.

Respond to this message   
Learned Robb

March 1 2007, 10:41 PM 

It is indeed free admission for the U19s games, but standing is not allowed (ie you have to be seated).

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement