March 14 2007 at 5:28 PM
Rick 

Now that common sense appears to be breaking out, carry on here please

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Icy Blast

Re: Usual topic pt (n + 1)

March 15 2007, 3:11 PM 

Well at the risk of a rapid re-descent, if as some Phoenix fans seem to be saying, their club cannot/does not want to run an ENL team and expects "someone" else to set it up, then why should it also be called Phoenix, as some of their fans seem to be saying?

Respond to this message   
Rick

March 15 2007, 3:45 PM 

I'm not so sure the name is that big a concern although Mark can easily manage to press a few irritability buttons with folk elsewhere.

The Altrincham Aces name is 'owned' by Alt Ice Rink (Trafford) Ltd but that's not necessarily insurmountable.

I dislike the current trend of all teams at one place carrying the same name but if the ENL team comes back in partnership with the junior club and/or senior club and it has to be Manchester Phoenix whatever, so what? The important thing is having a team where the local senior Brits can play and one that would be part of the development process.

Don't forget too that even if someone did organise an ENL team in Altrincham some players may choose to stay elsewhere if the likes of Blackburn or Flintshire were playing more games.

Respond to this message   
Icy Blast

March 15 2007, 4:05 PM 

My point wasn't so much to get hung up on the name and I'm not saying the Aces name is needed either, it was more about the idea that it should have its own idenitity if it weren't part of the Phoenix set up, if it was on some level, then fair enough, maybe!

Respond to this message   
Learned Robb

March 15 2007, 4:25 PM 

BEing honest, I would love to see an ENL side being run by the Phoenix.

Being realistic, I cant see that happening (not in the short to medium term, anyway).

The club is (rightly) focusing on its flagship endeavour, the EIHL side. This is what will bring the money in.

What I can see happening (and would like to see) in the short to medium term is an ENL side being set up, and being run under an affiliation agreement to the Phoenix, in much the same way as the Juniors is.

Respond to this message   
Rick

March 15 2007, 4:32 PM 

I'm not totally sure if this is what you are getting at but I've presumed that it would be simpler to affiliate to the likes of the EIHA for example as part of the junior club with benefits of player movement within teams too.

If it were feasible to be separate then yes, a distinct name would allow it the chance of more attention.

Respond to this message   
Rick

March 15 2007, 4:36 PM 

Answering LR, I'm not sure where the thought that any ENL team would need to be set up and funded by the Elite team comes from. I think I've only seen that suggestion on the Phoenix forum from Phoenix fans.

(not saying that's your thinking, just what several on there seem to assume is the expectation on here)

Respond to this message   
Mark

March 15 2007, 4:47 PM 

That appears to come from Mikes regular comments and people pick up on it that we want the Phoenix to provide us with a ENL team which can be no further from the truth.

Yet there is none as blind as those who don’t want to see.

He also keeps making the assumption that no one is trying or making any effort to come up with a new ENL team outside of the Phoenix

I believe in live and let live they can have there Elite side and hopefully a ENL side will come to fruition we can all support and assist in whatever way we can as was the case in the past. Affiliated to the junior teams to allow players to play up.

Realising the dream of a local ice rink for Altrincham for local players the chance to develop

Respond to this message   
Learned Robb

March 16 2007, 2:54 PM 

Not quite.

I'm not one for 'toeing the party line' over on the Phoenix forums.

I get the feeling from actually reading peoples postings that there is some degree of expectation that the Phoenix will/should run an ENL side. Thats just how I read some of the comments which appear from time to time, regarding the subject.

I could be wrong, and mis-interpreting them, but that is how I am reading them.

Respond to this message   
Mark

March 16 2007, 7:46 PM 

Robb yourself jon curtis tambo sand and Mags are the few people who don't seem to jump into bed with Landers speak every time he makes a comment.

His latest comment makes out I am the only one who ever posted to say any one wants a enl team at the community rink. When I say we regards rink

Dare not write in agreement that the costing of skating is not family friendly and in the spirit of a community rink as Mikes disciples will only flame me lol

Respond to this message   
Learned Robb

March 16 2007, 8:55 PM 

I wouldn't worry.

I have it on very good authority that a number of people who have been seen talking to me in person have been approached and asked why they are talking to a 'tw*t like him'.

Any flaming you get would be mild compared to that.

(Mr Unpopular, me).

Respond to this message   
Icy Blast

March 16 2007, 10:08 PM 

From my perspective there isn't a sudden interest in an ENL team now the rink is open, and there isn't an expectation that the Phoenix will run fund or support it, apart from allocating it ice time, for which I fully expect the team and its fans would have to pay.

Some recent comments about people not doing anything and action being how FOMIH was formed..well yes, I remember when FOMIH was formed....and displaced Storm fans turning up at the old Altrincham rink asking fans of a disbanding ENL team in a closing rink to join forces. Didn't ever think personally that they had Aces' fans intersests particularly at heart in doing that, flame me if you want for expressing that view.

Respond to this message   
Mike Landers

March 17 2007, 1:46 AM 

>>
Dare not write in agreement that the costing of skating is not family friendly and in the spirit of a community rink as Mikes disciples will only flame me lol
<<

I love the idea I have "disciples". I imagine Michaelangelos painting of me at the Last Supper would have 28 of them, along with some jello and a kangaroo. For a long haired loudmouth like me, hell, I wouldn't even mind the odd groupie. Unfortunately, I occasionally seem to attract the likes of you. I must have annoyed someone quite badly in a previous life to deserve that kind of karma. (Although the evil side of me wonders that if I can upset you so much by just asking simple questions you don't want to answer, I wonder how far I can push you if I ever started trying?)

The cost of skating is family friendly if you consider the other costs of family entertainment. Whether it is too high, then *shrugs*, people will pay it. If you don't want to, then that is your choice. Welcome to the real world. (You know the one where people Get Things Done and families go skating in their new rink and you do nothing but bitch about it.)

And Icy Blast, with an attitude like yours, no wonder there are no threads on here about how the Aces can be reborn, just endless bitching and sniping at the Phoenix. No doubt, if the 2007/08 season starts without an ENL side, the likes of me and my "disciples" will get blamed for that as well.

Two and a half years of lurking, and this is my first post. Hey ho.

Respond to this message   
Mark

March 17 2007, 4:04 PM 

Yet it is nice to see your first post Mike and why the percecution complex that every one expects the Phoenix to be responsible for everything that goes wrong.

As for family friendly as been said it is cheaper to go else where. In my case it is cheaper for me to go Telford for skateing with family than Altrincham. Also distance is the same to travel.

Numerous other people have broached this problem before myself and yes I live in the real world where a third of my wages goes to the ex in Ancillary relief. Thus I dont have the luxury of paying more than I need to for my entertainment unfourtunatley

[Edited to remove need for Mark's PS]

This message has been edited by AcesAces on Mar 17, 2007 5:49 PM

Respond to this message   
Learned Robb

March 17 2007, 8:45 PM 

Family and Disco sessions: £6 admission, £2 skate hire
General sessions: £4 admission, £2 skate hire.

Respond to this message   
Mark

March 17 2007, 10:40 PM 

Well Robb that sounds a lot better than was posted on the Phoenix site.

We all want to see the rink succeed at the end of the day with some where for all ice hockey players to player with emphasise on ALL

Respond to this message   
Icy Blast

March 18 2007, 12:52 PM 

"And Icy Blast, with an attitude like yours, no wonder there are no threads on here about how the Aces can be reborn, just endless bitching and sniping at the Phoenix. No doubt, if the 2007/08 season starts without an ENL side, the likes of me and my "disciples" will get blamed for that as well."

A flame response just as predicted, but you haven't said anything that effectively or constructively counters my argument, so how does that make your "attitude" any better?

Respond to this message   
Statler

March 19 2007, 10:57 AM 

Boy's Boy,s
I've got a headache now.

Respond to this message   
Mike Landers

March 19 2007, 11:50 AM 

>>
A flame response just as predicted, but you haven't said anything that effectively or constructively counters my argument, so how does that make your "attitude" any better?
<<

Dunno mate, but at least I've got the nads to put my real name and email address on my postings. As for a flame response, someone had a pop at me - you expect me to turn up bearing flowers and cake?

As for answering your question - I've already done so on the Phoenix forum, if the ENL side is run by the Phoenix then that would be part of the name, if not, Altrincham Aces is fine by me. My personal (see that, means me, moi, not the opinion of the club before someone else tries to twist something I've said privately into something stated by the club) opinion is the Phoenix would be mad to try and run an ENL side for the next couple of years, especially as it is extremely unlikely that wouldn't pay off for them in money or player development (my, my, I spy another elephant in the corner of the room).

Respond to this message   
Mike Landers

March 19 2007, 2:17 PM 

Dash and heck. Messed up the final sentence. Should read:

"the Phoenix would be mad to try and run an ENL side for the next couple of years, especially as it is extremely likely that it wouldn't pay off for them in terms of money or player development."

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement