<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

rink ownership

March 27 2007 at 12:56 PM
Carl Johnstone 

Can I just clear up the ownership of the rink.

The rink is owned by nIce Leisure Limited - which is a company that is part owned by Neil Morris.

nIce Leisure aren't actually running the rink though. The rink is being ran by Silver Blades - they arrange the ice time etc. They also run another rink in Cannock, and I believe are getting more up and running around the country.

So the Phoenix Elite team, Junior teams, the Aardvarx, and anybody else just hire the rink and pay for their ice time as tenants.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Statler

Re: rink ownership

March 27 2007, 2:27 PM 

Is'nt the partner in one the owner of the other??

Respond to this message   
Learned Robb

March 27 2007, 7:07 PM 

If you mean Neil, then yes.

If you mean Mike Petrouis, then I believe he is part of Planet Ice (or was at one point). Silver Blades Management seem to be independant of both.

Respond to this message   
Icy Blast

March 28 2007, 9:10 AM 

Which I assume is why another hockey team isn't being set up at present...priority goes to those ventures where NM pays rent to himself OR where he gets a more lucrative external offer? (Not an attack just a question/observation).

Respond to this message   
Rick

March 28 2007, 9:49 AM 

Independence ? Surely you'd expect Mr Petrouis (Planet Ice Chief Exec ??) to be running things in some way as part owner.

Isn't the ice rink company MD, Mark Johnson ? (Not talking about the ice rink manager here) Wasn't MJ the former Planet Ice MD ?

You write to Planet Ice at a Lichfield address. Registered office of Silver Blades Alt Ltd is in Lichfield ........

Planet Ice aren't running Altrincham Ice Dome but clearly Silver Blades comes from a similar stable.

Respond to this message   
Jon

March 28 2007, 3:52 PM 

Planet Ice aren't running Altrincham Ice Dome but clearly Silver Blades comes from a similar stable

I agree with that by looking at the setup...just the way they are making the most of the ice time with the public skating, the hotdog stalls, it all feels planet ice. I've not seen Petrouis around at all since the rink opened, but I'd think his actions have come through the silver blades company.

Respond to this message   
Mark

March 29 2007, 10:00 AM 

So the Cannock rink has finally become a reality then

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

March 29 2007, 10:06 AM 

At the end of the day does it really matter who owns the rink as long as we get a full development set up in place in the near future.

Or was this topic innitiated because a development team was refused ice time by any chance.

Just curious as the only place I have seen this topic discussed is on the Phoenix site

Respond to this message   
Carl Johnstone

April 5 2007, 10:44 AM 

Icy Blast - I think it is that simple. Anybody who wants ice time, will need to give Silver Blades more money than the activity they're replacing.

So if you're replacing a peak time public skating session that's a couple of hundred people paying £4, plus income from hot dogs/vending etc.

Respond to this message   
Icy Blast

Rink Ownership and Activity

April 5 2007, 12:12 PM 

I realise this is bringing up old wounds but I just want to focus on a possibility (not a row).

Given what Carl confirms, could the rink entertain a set up with a couple of hundred people paying not £4, but say £6 or £7 to watch an ENL team. A quid or so inflation compared to the old Aces team and it won't carry any additional costs to the rink (i.e. the team would pay for its own upkeep). For that £6 or £7 people can also have a skating session after if they want i.e. once they're in they don't pay again but may spend more on refreshments etc if they stay longer.

Or pay the £4 if they just want to come in and skate after the game and spend whatever in the cafe/shop/bar.

The rink gets two events on the one night, the income from tickets and other sales. The couple of hundred people might sound optimistic but you did get a good crowd at some Aces games and I am sure a few Phoenix fans might show an interest.

ENL has to be played at weekend but surely the fixtures could be fitted around those of the other teams and needn't disrupt other rink functions.

It needn't be a Phoenix team as such if that isn't wanted but e.g. by sharing some training expertise if the odd player may end up moving onto the Phoenix seniors.

Maybe I miss something but couldn't this work?

Respond to this message   
mark

Re: Rink Ownership and Activity

April 5 2007, 5:01 PM 

Yes it can work again like it did in the past.

Once people are in they will probably spend more at the bar and the cafe than people coming for a public skating session.

There is nothing to stop the public skating afterwards and the team could be accommodated where there is a low uptake on the desire for public skating. Yet the people are in boosting bar prices after the game.

The stumbling block is finding the people with the right expertise to get the team up and starting as there is enough support out there that would be willing to support and assist a team that may find the next local Elite League players like Jay and Thommo playing at Sheffield

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement