Subscribe to TheLongHairLoom
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

Please visit Sticks and Stones Hairsticks The best place for totally custom sticks!!
Enter a long URL to make tiny:
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Japanese-style Ponytail

March 27 2004 at 10:26 AM
  (Login TheaEvanda)

This is an old japanese hair style, inspired by pictures of japanese court ladies that I was researching for my paper on "medieval" kimono. These ladies had extraordinary long hair (to the floor and longer) and bound their hair very near the tips.

For the modern version, you make a low ponytail and pull the scruncie (spelling?) down to the tips of your hair, tightening the scruncie as needed. I had best results with leaving the scruncie about 5 to 10 centimeters from the tips.

For those of us who wear glasses: The freely moving hair can catch in the earpiece. To tame this hair, make two small ponytails with small scruncies at earlobe length with your "bang hair" and put in the other scruncie afterwards.

The result looks like this (sorry for the "informal" pictures, but I don't have any others... and that evening I was a bit tired) up front:

and from the side:

The last part of the ponytail is visible on the arm of the chair.
This style works best on nearly all-one-length (U shape or flat cut) hair longer than shoulder-length.

Greetings,

Thea

Erlangen, Germany

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Premier Login pictures)
Forum Owner

Thanks for sharing that Thea! (nm)

March 29 2004, 1:38 AM 

nm

-Fox

17/33.12/35+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), Hennaed Auburn. To see more pictures, click on the gallery collection link found here:
Forever Fox

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Nature's Gate Conditioners (As well as Forest Pure, another brand made by the makers of Nature's Gate)
Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils

Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements

Respond to this message   

(Login Leia9)

That's really nice!

March 29 2004, 10:25 AM 

The Japanese had such innovative hair ideas . They invented the geisha sticks in the hair (our modern hairsticks!) too! The ponytail looks really great on you - you have such a pretty smile, and I love that plant you have on your windowsill!

Have a great day

Love,
~*Leia*~

2bNiii
18/30.4/35?
Waist length!
First goal: 30" in March <-- goal reached
Second goal: Tailbone (33"?) by September
Final goal: 35" in February 2005
Growing since January 2003, found TLHL end of June 2003 and was at 25"

Leia's Hair Journal

Last Updated: March 29, 2004

Respond to this message   

(Login TheaEvanda)

... And here there are step-by-step - pictures...

April 4 2004, 1:12 PM 

Hello,

I had some time today and took three step-by-step-pictures of the japanese ponytail affair. Please excuse the poor quality (again), but my camera had some problems.

You start out with tieing your "bang hair" back. Those of us with no bangs and no glasses have an advantage in that they don't need to do this:
Gather your front hair at your ear and make two small ponytails. Pull the scruncies down to your earlobe for an easy fall (the scruncies should become almost invisible when all is finished):

The next step is a low ponytail with all your hair in it, including the two small ponytails:

And then you pull the scruncie down 'till there are about 10 centimeters (4 inches) of hair is left over. Perhaps you can go lower without losing ends, or you have to stay up higher. The result looks a bit like this, but I hope less twisted (the camera did not want like I did, so I did have to turn for control... if you pull the scruncie down along your spine, you should not have this twist in it)

I hope this was understandable.

Greetings,

Thea

Schwabach, Germany

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login pictures)
Forum Owner

Great instructions, thanks!! (nm)

April 8 2004, 3:04 AM 

nm

-Fox

17/33.12/35+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), Hennaed Auburn. To see more pictures, click on the gallery collection link found here:
Forever Fox

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Nature's Gate Conditioners (As well as Forest Pure, another brand made by the makers of Nature's Gate)
Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils

Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Japanese-style Ponytail
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Special thanks to: Pure Elegance for backgrounds on our discussion board pages!