Subscribe to TheLongHairLoom
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

Please visit Sticks and Stones Hairsticks The best place for totally custom sticks!!
Enter a long URL to make tiny:
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Pony Curls - Instructions

May 3 2004 at 11:16 AM

Avrilon  (Login Avrilon)

Here is an easy and comfortable way to get curls. Thanks to Betty (and, was it KC?), I’ve now done this 3 times and love the way it turns out. More than that, I love the fact that I can curl my hair in 15 minutes AND sleep without any discomfort. If you want curls, give it a try! (These pics aren't the best - shot them myself in light that was really too low - but hopefully, they are clear enough.)

1. Put your hair into a very high pony – smack on the top of your head. I use a velvet scrunchie and it doesn’t leave any sort of line in my hair. I put it on so that it’s tight enough to stay in place with the curlers on while I’m sleeping, but do what feels good for you.

2. Divide your hair into as many sections as you want to curl. I did 7 here. My hair was almost dry when I rolled it, so I misted each strand lightly with distilled water before rolling. Here, I am using sponge rollers, but you can use magnetic, brush (with the brushes removed) and other hair-friendly type rollers.

3. Finish rolling all sections so that they are sitting high up on top of the scrunchie and look something like this (and yes, I look like a goober and so will you - lol!):

4. Cover the rollers with something if you’re going to sleep on them, just to keep them secure. Go to bed or allow to dry.

5. Here is what the curls looks like immediately after taking the rollers down, but still in the pony:

6. Here are the curls after shaking my head upside down three times, without touching the curls:

7. Here are the curls just before leaving for work, front and back – without combing or brushing - and only slightly running my fingers through it:

This is so easy and comfortable that I hope you’ll give it a try when you want some curls.

Avrilon

20/29.75/Waist
2a - Wavy with body
F - fine
ii - normal volume, 4" ponytail

Growing out years of perms (about 2/3rds done!)
Blonde from a bottle

Hair Album: http://public.fotki.com/avrilon/hair_pics

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Queenie
(Login QueenieD)

Wow - looks amazing!

May 3 2004, 6:44 PM 

You really get a *lot*more curl than I did! Ah well, I guess it wasn't that bad for my first attempt
Thanks again for your advice, Avrilon, I'm sure I'll get better results with some experimenting

1bF-Mii, 20/34.5/50
Past waist, goal is about mid-thigh

Respond to this message   

Avrilon
(Login Avrilon)

Hi Queenie :)

May 5 2004, 10:30 AM 

Remember, this was my third try with the sponge rollers on the top of my head. My first attempt (that I posted about here) turned out just AWFUL since I used a gel that matted up my hair. I couldn't even brush it when I took the rollers down!

Avrilon

20/29.75/Waist
2a - Wavy with body
F - fine

Blonde from a bottle

Respond to this message   
WildCatDancer
(Login WildCatDancer)

Wow!

May 3 2004, 9:00 PM 

You are sooo beautiful! And your hair looks fantastic too! I'm hoping the curl will come back to my hair enough to try this. Maybe I can talk DH into getting me some curlers tonight. Although I'm critter sitting tommorow, and I don't think little lemur fingers care if they are pulling curly hair or straight! This time I'm going to try it without combing. Oh, I want my hair to look like that, I do, I do!

WildCatDancer

My overnight miracle, thanks TLHL!

Original style very, very short, been growing out for 12 years off and on.
Original color, auburn, now multicolored grey, auburn & white. Dyed auburn
1b to 1c with a curl around hairline underneath. Fii
Length 27" now trimmed to 24.5 April 24th
May 1st 25"!!!!!

Respond to this message   
WildCatDancer
(Login WildCatDancer)

Well it didn't exactly turn out the same!

May 4 2004, 12:33 AM 

It looked kinda, well...

If you want the whole fiasco including pics you can probably see them at my hair journal here

http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=293257&messageid=1083644575&lp=1083644575

Some of the ends DID curl, which is encouraging. The bottom 3 inches of my hair are just a little too thin to look very good when down. I'm sure my hair would look much better if I cut those 3 inches off, but instead I think I'll just let it grow and cut off 1/2 to 1" at a time until it gets healthy. I have discovered a strong yearning for waist length hair, LOL!

WildCatDancer

My overnight miracle, thanks TLHL!

Original style very, very short, been growing out for 12 years off and on.
Original color, auburn, now multicolored grey, auburn & white. Dyed auburn
1b to 1c with a curl around hairline underneath. Fii
Length 27" now trimmed to 24.5 April 24th
May 1st 25"!!!!!

Respond to this message   

Fox
(Premier Login pictures)
Forum Owner

Thanks Avrilon, and WildCatDancer, that's not bad!

May 4 2004, 3:55 AM 

Avrilon, thanks so much for posting the pictures and instructions! Beautifully done, as usual! Your hair looks fantastic too! The great part about roller curls, is even though the length does shrink up, it wash back out! LOL! Unlike perms where you end up permanantly losing length due to trimming off damage! I think your hair looks great!

WildCatDancer, your first attempt was not bad at all! If you find your hair frizzes with the rolling, you might want to try adding a smoothing serum, just a tiny bit before rolling. These are cones, and even if you don't like them, using the tiniest amount might help. I don't really like cones, but when I do bun curls, I use a tiny and I do mean tiny, less than a pea sized bit of John Freida's Frizz Ease "Secret Weapon " cream. Ok... maybe a pea size in whole, but I split my hair down the middle and do each side separately, less than a pea for each side, whole pea for whole head. You can try doing this before, and if the results are not as good, try it after. You can still use the leave in before. I use a leave in before, then add the Secret Weapon, then roll up my hair. Slight oiling after curls come down is often helpful, but my hair curls really well and doesn't fall out too quickly. Oil might help curls to loosen on hair that doesn't hold curls well... don't know for sure.

I think you are doing really well though! The curls looked good on your hair! In fact, it makes the length look more full! I do curls for that reason, but my hair is much more in a V shape, while yours is in slight U, which I what I would like to get to. Taking off those ends a bit of a time is a good way to go and I think you will only be seeing healthy, more lovely hair from month to month! Results do take time, although you've gotten an amazing start! So, hang with us... you are going to be amazed at how you look in the coming months! I'm so glad you have a journal up! You write so well!

-Fox

17/33.12/35+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), Hennaed Auburn. To see more pictures, click on the gallery collection link found here:
Forever Fox

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Nature's Gate Conditioners (As well as Forest Pure, another brand made by the makers of Nature's Gate)
Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils

Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements

Respond to this message   

betty
(Login Chamomile)

I think it looks very nice :)

May 4 2004, 10:25 PM 

WildCatDancer, you did an awesome job for a first attemp. I know I have practice many things before I get it right (gosh this goes for more than hair lol).

Here are some tips of mine that may help:

*No setting lotion when/before you roll. All I use is a little of my mist (water and conditoner) and some EVOO on the ends. I dont add a styling product until the rollers are out. I will sometimes remist after the rollers are set. It I add my Ion Gelle it's after the set.

*Nice new fluffy rollers will help. Some of mine are kind of blah/flat so I skip them and pick the nice fluffy ones. You may also like a smaller roller. I have little black ones that will curl my hair up really nice and tight. So play with roller size. Check out the Dollar store if you have one. That's where I buy my plastic cond. caps and sponge rollers.

*Get your hubby to roll them in your hair. Not a real suggestion it's just to get back at him for giggling at you lolol

Like I said before, your hair looks nice and all ya need is a bit of practice

HTH
Angel Hugs and Love

Betty
March 2001 - Present
Pale Golden Blonde
2abM/Ciii
Medium to Coarse, Thick, Very Long Layers

Next Measuring July 1st
20 1/2 - April 1st 24 3/4 BSL - 30
2nd Short Term Goal: Past BSL
27" by Fall

My Journal

The Seasons, 1897
Alphonse Mucha

Respond to this message   

Avrilon
(Login Avrilon)

That looks good to me WCD!

May 5 2004, 10:35 AM 

I see curls there on the ends! Just wait until your hair is longer and the damage is all gone. It took me almost three years to get rid of MY damage, remember! :O Hopefully, yours will be much quicker. I don't think your hair is as damaged as mine was. Plus, you are so enthusiastic and positive (and doing so many good things for your hair now) that it's just getting better and better.

Avrilon

20/29.75/Waist
2a - Wavy with body
F - fine

Blonde from a bottle

Respond to this message   
Tanja
(Login vtania)

amazing

May 4 2004, 4:59 AM 

Avrilon your hair is amazing! It looks great!
I will deffinitely try it some time.
Thank you so much for sharing it with us:)
Ciao!
Tanja

1"(I had my head almost shaved:)/29"/35"(?)

Oils: jojoba, coconat, olive -extra vergine, lavander EO
Shampoo: baby shampoo
Conditioners/masks: coconat milk, avocado, honey, banana, egg, vinegar rinse, and much, much more,..
and of course the most important: henne+indigo mix!!!

Respond to this message   

Avrilon
(Login Avrilon)

Thank you, Tanja...

May 5 2004, 10:35 AM 

Now, if I could only get those curls to stay LONGER... sigh..

Avrilon

20/29.75/Waist
2a - Wavy with body
F - fine

Blonde from a bottle

Respond to this message   

Leia
(Login Leia9)

Beautiful!

May 4 2004, 5:36 AM 

The curls look gorgeous on you! I'll have to give this a try sometime!

Love,
~*Leia*~

2bNiii
18/31.1/35?
First goal: 30" in March <-- goal reached
Second goal: Tailbone (33"?) by September
Final goal: 35" in February 2005
Growing since January 2003, found TLHL end of June 2003 and was at 25"

Leia's Hair Journal

Last Updated: May 2, 2004

Respond to this message   

Avrilon
(Login Avrilon)

Thank you, Leia, but...

May 5 2004, 10:36 AM 

... I want your WAVES!

Avrilon

20/29.75/Waist
2a - Wavy with body
F - fine

Blonde from a bottle

Respond to this message   

betty
(Login Chamomile)

Very pretty :)

May 4 2004, 10:09 PM 

I think my fav pic is the pony/sponge roller set lol
I am sitting here showing my Mom going 'hey look, does that look familar?' (pointing to the pink rollers sitting on top of your head lololol
She saw the lil' cap and said that was something I didn't do so now I will have something new to try.

Avrilon, I know you got some inches off and you felt a little bad about that but WOW! you can now have nice full, big hair without the perm damage! I really really love it. It's great to get that style without all the damage of hot rolling, perming, and curling irons.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful pics with us. Now to add it to your siggy

Angel Hugs and Love

Betty
March 2001 - Present
Pale Golden Blonde
2abM/Ciii
Medium to Coarse, Thick, Very Long Layers

Next Measuring July 1st
20 1/2 - April 1st 24 3/4 BSL - 30
2nd Short Term Goal: Past BSL
27" by Fall

My Journal

The Seasons, 1897
Alphonse Mucha

Respond to this message   

Avrilon
(Login Avrilon)

Lol...

May 5 2004, 10:39 AM 

Yeah, isn't that picture just "gorgeous" with the curlers sitting on top of my head? Lol... groan...

The "lil' cap" is just a hair net that I doubled up - and it fits perfectly over 5 - 7 curlers. Keeps those suckers secure on my head!

Thanks so much for the compliments - and also turning me on to this curling method - it's da bomb! (heh-heh, couldn't resist).

Avrilon

20/29.75/Waist
2a - Wavy with body
F - fine

Blonde from a bottle

Respond to this message   
deannita
(Login deannita)

I tried it!

July 8 2004, 10:22 PM 

Thanks Avrilon! I tried it and it looks great and is soooooooooooo comfortable!Your hair looks absolutely beautiful... better than any old curling iron could do!

Deanna.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login sweety77)

Re: Pony Curls - Instructions

May 18 2005, 8:48 AM 

Hello

You have so great hair.

Which kind of shampoo and conditioner do you use?

By the way, how do you get the hair of the picture "Plopped"? As I am from Europe, I don't know the word plopped (my dictionary also don't know this word. What does it mean? Can you please explain me?)

I hope, that you will read this response.

Thank you.

Respond to this message   

Fox
(Premier Login pictures)
Forum Owner

Hi!

May 19 2005, 3:08 AM 

I posted a link to this thread on our main board: http://www.network54.com/Forum/235232 where Avrilon might see if. I was afraid she might miss this being it's not on the front page. You are free to post to her on the main board if you would like. She sometimes is busy during the week, but checks in with us on weekends.

-Fox
Special thanks to Carlynn for my custom doll signature!
17/38.25/40+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), Hennaed Auburn. F.L.A. Ranking, Colonel. To see more pictures, click on the gallery collection link found here:

Forever Fox

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Nature's Gate Conditioners (As well as Forest Pure, another brand made by the makers of Nature's Gate)
Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils

Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements

Respond to this message   

Atchison
(Login Avrilon)

Thank you!

May 19 2005, 2:26 PM 

Hello

Thank you for the compliments! Here is a link to my routine and included there is a brief description of plopping: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=330779&messageid=1112985008. I also list what products I am currently using. My favorite is the Neutrogena Triple Moisture shampoo and conditioner. I keep going back to it since my hair likes it the best! I hope my routine is helpful to you!

Avrilon

My Journal
Hair Album

20"/30"/?"
2a - Slightly wavy with body
F - fine
ii - normal volume, 3.75" ponytail
I'm 5'10" tall

Growing out years of perms (finally done!)
Blonde from a bottle

Respond to this message   
Jazz
(no login)

another option!

January 13 2007, 2:36 AM 

hey!

i saw how u did the pony curls, and i have a suggestion for ppl who cant get rollers(like me). i used rags, strips of cloth and twisted my hair on them like rollers. then i tied the end of the rag into a knot. it works just as well!

love the website, i've got super long hair as ell. it's reaching down to my knees already.

love,
Jazz

Respond to this message   
DANIELLE
(no login)

QUESTION

May 17 2007, 1:18 AM 

HOW DO U KEEP THE CURLS IN AL DAY? MY HAIR WILL ONLY HOLD A CURL FOR AN HOUR IF IM LUCKY BUT HAIRSPRAY CHANGES THE LOOK AND FEEL OF CURLED HAIR... ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Special thanks to: Pure Elegance for backgrounds on our discussion board pages!