Subscribe to TheLongHairLoom
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

Please visit Sticks and Stones Hairsticks The best place for totally custom sticks!!
Enter a long URL to make tiny:
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The Swirly Bun

May 16 2004 at 6:42 AM

Leia  (Login Leia9)

Here is my bun - The Swirly Bun (thank you for everyone who helped come up with the name! ) I've never done step-by-step instructions before, so I'm not sure if this will be clear or not. It's quite a tricky style, but hopefully the pictures and the instructions will help aid you. I wear this almost every day - it can be secured with hairsticks, ficcares, mini claws, hairpins, etc. It can be unsecured, too!

Much thanks to my Mum and brother who took the pics for me. Here we go!

Gather hair in a ponytail in your right hand.

Place left hand (wrist) above ponytail.

Using the right hand, pull the ponytail over the wrist of your left hand and then pull it downwards.

Here comes the tricky part. Your left hand wrist should twirl up and then left, creating a loop with the hair. First twirl the wrist up...

...then move it towards the left...

...and bring it down again.

Your right hand will still be holding the tail (now shortened). Reach your index finger and thumb out (you can't see my thumb in the picture, but it's there!)...

...and grab the tail in those two fingers. Your tail will be longer or shorter, depending on hair length.

Use your right hand to grab the loop of hair you previously created. Grab that loop and push it down towards your scalp (still holding the tail in your left hand).

Your tail will end up on the left side of your head. When my hair was a couple of inches shorter, it was just the perfect length for this style in that the tail did not show. What you decide to do with the tail is up to you - since mine is quite short, I just leave it. If yours is a bit longer than mine, you can tuck it under and pin to secure. Or if it is much longer, you can leave it hanging down like a ponytail. Be creative!

Here is the finished style, not secured with anything but my own hair. I love that this style can do that and hold well by itself! I will try to get some pictures up later of the bun secured with hair toys, but I hope this will do for now.

Love,
~*Leia*~

2bNiii
18/31.1/35?
First goal: 30" in March <-- goal reached
Second goal: Tailbone (33"?) by September
Final goal: 35" in February 2005
Growing since January 2003, found TLHL end of June 2003 and was at 25"

Leia's Hair Journal

Last Updated: May 14, 2004

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tanja
(Login vtania)

Leia, this is amazing!!!!

May 16 2004, 8:03 AM 

Thank you Leia, the pictures and the instructions are absolutely amazing. I will try it immediately it is so tempting.
The bun looks GORGEOUS, it is wonderfull, beutifull, amazing, I have no words,..
THANK you for showing us!!! I really think that Stlyling Station is becoming the BEST place with step-by-step instructions!!!
Great!!!
Thank you once again, it looks great!!!
Ciao,
Tanja

1"(I had my head almost shaved:)/30,5"/35"(?)

Oils: jojoba, coconat, olive -extra vergine, lavander EO
Shampoo: baby shampoo
Conditioners/masks: coconat milk, avocado, honey, banana, egg, vinegar rinse, and much, much more,..
and of course the most important: henne+indigo mix!!!

Respond to this message   

erin
(Login ca_cowgirl)

Good job

May 16 2004, 8:23 AM 

Leia those were great instructions.  Very detailed and easy to follow.  Your hair is beautiful in an updo - so shiny!

~E

37.5/37.5/50+
1cCiii
Brown with sun bleached highlights
Current products: Back to Basics Vanilla Plum
Jojoba w/ Avocado oil

"I want to ride to the ridge where the West commences, gaze at the moon until I lose my senses. I can't look at hobbles and I can't stand fences. Don't fence me in..."
Cole Porter

Respond to this message   

Avrilon
(Login Avrilon)

Beautiful, Leia! and...

May 16 2004, 10:47 AM 

Your instructions and pictures are perfect - great job! Pictures help me so much and I'm going to give this updo a try. Not sure if my hair is long enough, but it might be.

Your hair looks so thick and pretty, by the way! (AND shiny!)

Avrilon

20/29.75/Waist
2a - Wavy with body
F - fine
ii - normal volume, 4" ponytail

Growing out years of perms (about 2/3rds done!)
Blonde from a bottle

Hair Album: http://public.fotki.com/avrilon/hair_pics

Respond to this message   

betty
(Login Chamomile)

Thank you Leia!

May 16 2004, 10:55 AM 

Those pics are very helpful.
I think I may have to get to waist to that style.

Your hair looks so thick and healthy. I just love your color too. What every you are doing makes it so shiny and glossy.

Angel Hugs & Love

Betty
March 2001 - Present
Pale Golden Blonde
2abM/Ciii
Medium to Coarse, Thick, Very Long Layers

Next Measuring July 1st
20 1/2 - April 1st 24 3/4 BSL - 30
2nd Short Term Goal: Past BSL
27" by Fall

My Journal

The Seasons, 1897
Alphonse Mucha

Respond to this message   
WildCatDancer
(Login WildCatDancer)

I just love this...

May 17 2004, 1:41 AM 

I wish my hair was long enough to do it. The instructions were great! I may just have to talk my friend into letting me try it on her hair, she has plenty of hair to do this. If I do, I'll ask if I can post a photo, she has incredible hair.

WildCatDancer

My overnight miracle, thanks TLHL!
WildCatDancers Mane-My journal http://www.network54.com/Forum/293257
My bottle babies-- http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v157/WildCatDancer/?

Original style very, very short, been growing out for 12 years off and on.
Original color, auburn, now multicolored grey, auburn & white. Dyed auburn
1b to 1c with a curl around hairline underneath. Fii
Length 27" now trimmed to 24.5 April 24th
May 1st 25"!!!!!

Respond to this message   

Shelly
(Login lady_shelly1)

That is beautiful

May 17 2004, 9:23 AM 

I will have to try that today if I take my hair down.

Shelly
Shelly's Layer

Respond to this message   

Leia
(Login Leia9)

Securing options - hairsticks/ficcares

June 3 2004, 11:48 PM 

You can use one or two hairsticks. Here is a picture of my Swirly Bun secured with a pair of Fox's hairsticks.

Here it is (sorry, the pic is a bit unclear) secured with a Ficcare through the side.

Love,
~*Leia*~

2bNiii
18/31.9/35?

Leia's Hair Journal

Last Updated: June 3, 2004

Respond to this message   

Leia
(Login Leia9)

Secured with a single hairstick...

June 4 2004, 12:43 AM 

Love,
~*Leia*~

2bNiii
18/31.9/35?

Leia's Hair Journal

Last Updated: June 3, 2004

Respond to this message   
B
(no login)

hey!

October 28 2004, 11:46 AM 

hi! thanks for the instructions for this style! when i'm walking around the university it gets so windy and if i dont have a hair elastic i would have to do a cinnamon bun, but it was just too tight and hair would break. but this style is totally ideal! its so easy and it looks great! you rock leia!

Respond to this message   
xanthe
(no login)

Anyone know about hair spirals

June 7 2005, 9:17 AM 

A couple of years ago a friend of a friend showed me some brass hair spirals about half an inch wide and about 2 inches long. They were screwed into hair to secure it in any style - they were fantastic and Ive been looking for them ever since. Anyone heard of them - know where to get 'em?

Respond to this message   
Rachel R.
(Login A2JC4life)

Scroos?

July 13 2005, 3:56 PM 

Someone just mentioned something called "scroos" on the hair care board. It sounds like they might be what you're talking about.

Be blessed!
~Rachel R. (who really needs to upload my hair pic to my webspace so I can link it here) <><
1a-1bFii
??/29.5/as long as it gets

Respond to this message   
hannerbearr
(no login)

thanks!

December 13 2005, 4:07 PM 

Your instructions are wonderful, and I love this style. My hair is just long enough, & it's great in a hurry.

Respond to this message   
Steph
(Login Luthien_Inwe)

Thanks so much!

May 7 2006, 10:32 AM 

This idea is brilliant, especially if you are in a hurry or don't have a mirror within reach! I immediately tried it and (with the help of a thin scrunchie) it holds and looks lovely. I cut my hair only a month ago, it was almost waist length then, now it's about breast length and I can't wait for it to grow again Many thanks for the excellent descriptions!

Respond to this message   
Freznow
(no login)

I can't do it...

December 23 2006, 10:36 PM 

For some reason mine won't stay. Not even for a few seconds. 2 seconds after I let go it has fallen out. Mine's not as long as yours, not quite waist length, do you think that's the problem? But I can reach the end through the loop...

Respond to this message   
karen
(no login)

I have the same problem

January 22 2007, 1:56 PM 

It falls right out. Oh well. Maybe my hair is just too slippery. I rarely get hairsticks to work, either.

Respond to this message   
Cynthia
(Login Cy_Cy)

Re: I have the same problem

June 8 2007, 7:24 AM 

Nearly the same here - my hair doesn't stay that way for more than 10 minutes. But With a little help from the one or the other hiar toy it is just fine.
I guess that's just the way some people's hair is. Too slippery, like Karen said. It won't secure itself.

Still, I tried this hairstyle out immediately and it really looks great - not as stern as the usual bun I wear and definitely a difference to my daily french braid.
Thank you so much, Leia!

Respond to this message   
girlybraid
(Login botanynerd)

Re: I have the same problem

December 3 2007, 9:35 PM 

Yeah, my hair's too slick to stay long like that too, but it stays pretty well in place with the help of a claw. It's much more elegant than my usual bun.

This message has been edited by botanynerd on Dec 3, 2007 9:38 PM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Special thanks to: Pure Elegance for backgrounds on our discussion board pages!