Greece & Turkey Defence Forum Europe, Middle East & Africa
Defence Forum
Asia & Pacific Defence Forum
Help, Suggestions & Complaints

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Top 5 Armed Forces in Southeast Asia

April 6 2004 at 3:58 AM
IceFire  (Login icefire850)

How will you rank the top 5 armed forces in Southeast Asia in terms of combat experience, equipment, and manpower?

This message has been edited by icefire850 on Apr 6, 2004 4:00 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login harimau2000)

Re: Top 5 Armed Forces in Southeast Asia

April 6 2004, 4:26 AM 

From my point of view...

Malaysian in the 6th or 7th place . Singapore no 1 of course. 2nd, 3rd, 4th...i don't know..it is up to you to decide icefire.

Anonymous
(Login sane_guy2)
The Singa-Lauts (Singapore)

April 6 2004, 5:36 AM 

In a real war, Vietnam is the strongest, it doesn't matter who is second, third etc. Just go to CSIS and look at the military balance. Vietnam has overwhelming numerical advantage against any SEA nation. They may be old systems but the numerical advantage is so great, quality doesn't matter.

IceFire
(Login icefire850)

April 6 2004, 5:45 AM 

Possible if the war is in Vietnam's home turf, but if Vietnam brings the war across the sea, e.g. Philippines, Singapore, Indonesia or even Malaysia, then sustaining and supplying the war will be very difficult for the Vietnamese.

This message has been edited by icefire850 on Apr 6, 2004 5:47 AM

Anonymous
(Login sane_guy2)

April 6 2004, 5:55 AM 

Yes. And the same applies in reverse. Nobody in south east asia is able to fight and "away turf" war. None has good stuff like Tarrawa class amphibious assault ship, none has large numbers of self-propelled SAMs. They will all die in an "away" war.

MilitaryExpert
(Login MilitaryExpert)

Top 5 Armed Forces

April 6 2004, 5:56 AM 

Harimau 2000, are you sure you rank Malaysia in 6th or 7th place? In SOUTHEAST ASIA, not Asia you know!
In my opinion, the top 5 are
1)Singapore
2)Malaysia
3)Thailand
4)Vietnam
5)Indonesia

Perhaps Malaysia and Thailand can share second spot as Malaysa has quality equipment but litle quantity while Thailand has much more poorer quality equipment. Vietnam has too much obseolete equipment. Maybe they can hope for a draw on homeground due to numerical superiority but they cannot invade another country.

Anonymous
(Login sane_guy2)

April 6 2004, 6:00 AM 

Military Expert, you don't understand Harimau IS a Malaysian, he was being ironical in suggesting Singapore is very good, because in the past there were big fights between MY and SG on this forum.

Anonymous
(Login sane_guy2)

April 6 2004, 6:03 AM 

And of course, Malaysia is not really far behind Singapore. But SG is still clearly superior. Just look at their Adnan IFV, they buy weapons from Turkey, while Turkey buys weapons from us. The Pantera guns of Turkey is really localised FH2000. And there is great cooperation between SG and Turkey in areas of wheeled vehicle and all terrain vehicles.

IceFire
(Login icefire850)

April 6 2004, 6:17 AM 

I agree. Singapore has the most modern armed forces in Southeast Asia, but realistically, its military will never be modern enough nor capable enough to defeat an invading army. Its just too small.

Anonymous
(Login sane_guy2)

April 6 2004, 6:21 AM 

Singapore will not be able to conquer another country, but is definitely able to defeat an invader, assuming not something like China/US/UK/India. Against an invader that is also a non-major-power, Singapore will succeed because defender has advantage, and SG IS stronger than almost everyone else in the region in anti-invasion. Though we are no military power, we are not geared for attacking and taking land. But if you invade us and you are not a power like China, you can forget it. You will never succeed.

Willz.
(Login Lieutenant-Willz)

April 6 2004, 6:31 AM 

South East Asia's Airforces rank:

1. Singapore
2. Malaysia
3. Vietnam
4. Thailand
5. Indonesia
6. Brunei
7. Burma
8. Philippines
9. Laos
10. Cambodia
11. East Timor

do u agree?

Anonymous
(Login harimau2000)

April 6 2004, 7:26 AM 

>Military Expert, you don't understand Harimau IS a Malaysian, he was being ironical in suggesting Singapore is very good, because in the past there were big fights between MY and SG on this forum

Well sane guy..you are half right. I am trying to be fair and not bias toward my country and the same time it also achieve my target of being ironic. The truth is if you are comparing nos of equipment and personnel plus all the advance technology used, i vote for Singapore. Singapore could be consider as paper tiger (hope this will not offended my dearest singaporean) and it the no 1 military power in South east Asia. No doubt about it. I don't mind if our dear forumer wish to rank malaysia in 6th or 7th place as it would not have any influence on the real capabilities of our armed forced. To rank thailand in 3rd position will not be fair as thailand have more nos of personnel and tank compare to Malaysia.

IceFire
(Login icefire850)

April 6 2004, 7:27 AM 

Singapore will succeed because defender has advantage

I hope Singapore will succeed this time in a future defensive scenario.

In World War II, the Allied forces defending Singapore collapsed in just 7 days of fighting despite enjoying a numerical advantage of 3 is to 1 over the attacking Japanese forces.

Faz
(Premier Login Faz1)
Forum Owner

April 6 2004, 7:42 AM 

First of all, Singapore, as many have already has put it, has no ambitions about going on a conquest. However, we can defend overselves and make any attacker pay for it dearly. A neighbouring country has claimed that it can give anyone who attacks it a bloody nose, well Singapore can give her attackers a knock-out punch to kill the invasion.. period.

Secondly, no country is quite capable of invading Vietnam saved super-powers or middle powers as large as Britain,etc. Even then, these countries would have to go for full conscription to leverage on additional man-power. Vietnam leverages on man-power where she can get her whole male population to fight for her. But that also limits her power to her borders or vicinities around her. While it might be true in the past when the SEA nations were relatively weak, she is now unable to assert any form power projection into other areas of SEA.

Singapore`s defence is offensive in nature. We will attack in order to defend ourselves. As such, while our intention is not to conquer, we will take territories. This applies to our immediate neighbours. There is little they can do about this.

Top Air-force in SEA.

1) Singapore
2) Thailand
3) Malaysia
4) Vietnam, the rest are negligible

Top navy in SEA

1) Singapore
2) Thailand
3) Malaysia
4) Indonesia,etc

Top Army in SEA

1) Vietnam
2) Singapore
3) Thailand
4) Malaysia,etc

Overall;

1) Singapore
2) Thailand
3) Malaysia
4) Indonesia

This message has been edited by Faz1 on Apr 6, 2004 8:20 AM

IceFire
(Login icefire850)

April 6 2004, 8:00 AM 

Singapore`s defence is offensive in nature. We will attack in order to defend ourselves. As such, while our intention is not to conquer, we will take territories. This applies to our immediate neighbours. There is little they can do about this.

- A very brave statement but unfortunately totally unrealistic, specially the "we will take territories" part. Singapore just don't have the manpower and sustainable resources to achieve this, but punitive actions, maybe.

This message has been edited by icefire850 on Apr 6, 2004 8:01 AM

Anonymous
(Login lipanlapan)
WAFFer

April 6 2004, 8:00 AM 

Talking about experience, we could try to list down every country involved in each conflict :

1. Vietnam War

2. Communist Insurgency & ohter militancy

3. Konfrantasi

4. WW2        LOL (some country did not even exist)

5. Other skirmish (at the border, during Peacekeeping etc) 

6. (plese fill in)

And about Tech :

1. Local defence tech, & sustainability

2. Level of Training / Adaptation

3. (please fill in )

And for Quantity Wise

1. Well, it's about qty  :P

Faz
(Premier Login Faz1)
Forum Owner

April 6 2004, 8:04 AM 

>>A very brave statement but unfortunately totally unrealistic, specially the "we will take territories" part. Singapore just don't have the manpower and sustainable resources to achieve this, but punitive actions, maybe.>>

- This ia a wrong assumption yeah. The whole assault system is made out to invade and take territories. we will not be sitting in Singapore to defend ourselves. We will not engage in simple punitive measures. We have 350,000 troops to levarage on. And that is not little. We are not called the Israel of the East for nothing. We employ a similar appaoach in this respect. Attack us, we will come in and bring the war to your shores.

Faz
(Premier Login Faz1)
Forum Owner

April 6 2004, 8:05 AM 

And for Quantity Wise

1. Well, it's about qty :P
-----------------------------

- And quality too..that is important.

Anonymous
(Login harimau2000)

April 6 2004, 8:29 AM 

We are not called the Israel of the East for nothing. We employ a similar appaoach in this respect. Attack us, we will come in and bring the war to your shores.

Are the enemy such as USA, China, France could be included into the case?

Sorry to interrupt you faz1, but 350,00 is total conscripts you have right?. How many could be send to battlefield and how many kept in homeland for defence? It sound crazy to send 350,000 cannon folder into enemy teritories without having any reserve defending homeland right? Then if you are taking 300,000 from the economy, what will happened if the war prolong? Economy will crumble from inside if i am not mistaken. If you are talking about the USA, fine..they have active personnel more than 300,000 troop, taking away their troop will not jeoperdise their economy right? Am i wrong here???

Anonymous
(Login lipanlapan)
WAFFer

Related links

April 6 2004, 8:43 AM 

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 527 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
WAFF recommends these sites

Indian Defence Analysis      [Definitive Lapse of Reason]