January 4 2005, 8:28 AM 

Hella cool. I like tank factories

Doodool for President

Anonymous
(Login Runekeeper)
The Singa-Lauts (Singapore)

Re: iranian tank factory

January 4 2005, 8:32 AM 

The first pictures...that the Iranian T-72s?

Any specs? upgrades or is it the same as T-72 m1?

Justice Without Force Is Helpless.
Force Without Justice Is Tyrannical.

(Login turan8)
The Conquerors (Turkey)

January 4 2005, 9:04 AM 

Actually the top one is a T-55, you can tell because the turret is huge. The ERA looks good though, IE not too big.

--------------------------------------------
"In some places I have seen women who put a piece of cloth or towel or something like it over their heads to hide their faces, and who turn their backs or huddle themselves on the ground when a man passes by. What is the meaning and sense of this behavior? Gentleman, can mothers and daughters of a civilized nation adopt this strange manner, the barbarious posture? It is a spectacle that makes the nation an object of ridicule. It must be remedied at once." -Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

(Login khoshgel)
The Anusiya (Iran)

January 4 2005, 9:09 AM 

That's right it has been built on T-55 chases, but nothing compared with T-55..

The 105mm gun is replaced with 125mm, fire control system is new (Iranian made), ERA armor, laser rangefinder .. etc

Oh and it is called in Iran Safir-72..

Iran vatanam khakesh kafanam
Cho Iran nabashad tan man mabad

"Ey Amrika az dast ma asabani bash, va az asabaniyatat ham bemeer"
"Oh America be mad from us, and die with your madness"
Ayatollah Dr. Beheshti

(Login Runekeeper)
The Singa-Lauts (Singapore)

January 4 2005, 9:59 AM 

right...I was actaully suspicious that it was a t72 coz the turret looks very round and it has a high profile as compared to the t72...but i thought the ERA clam shell look might have a reason for that. Also that the cannon doesnt look like the typical t55 that i know of.

Justice Without Force Is Helpless.
Force Without Justice Is Tyrannical.

Anonymous
(Login Ustixuna)

January 4 2005, 10:11 AM 

Ey Amrika az dast ma asabani bash, va az asabaniyatat ham bemeer"
"Oh America be mad from us, and die with your madness"
Ayatollah Dr. Beheshti

Dumbest quote ever written in man kind and shouldnt even be a quote.

Why would american be mad? It is Irans ruling clerics who are mad and scared.

Anonymous
(Login PersianPower)
The Anusiya (Iran)

January 4 2005, 10:25 AM 

is it me, or that these 2 are different versions. If you look carefully the front section of one is longer than the other.

also why waste so much money on fixing t55, when we could be using all this equipment for making other more productive tanks.

Persian Shah
(Login Persian_Shah)

January 4 2005, 10:31 AM 

what is ERA?

“We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it.” - Ariel Sharon

Kourosh
(Login yekta)

January 4 2005, 10:40 AM 

ERA -> Explosive reactive armour -> rectangular blocks on the tank

Those are not tanks,(BMP-1) Boragh armored infantry fighting vehicle

(Login SINA-1)
The Anusiya (Iran)

January 4 2005, 11:07 AM 

Forget about the tanks lol. The factory is damn sweet!

Two questions:

1. How do you see that it is a 125mm gun?

2. PP is right, why produce this and not something bigger? Maybe becase this have the same amount of fire power and it is faster and smaller than bigger tanks? I don't know!

Wise Padishah
(Premier Login Padishah)
The Caliphs (Arabia)

105mm

January 4 2005, 11:14 AM 

This looks like an American(British designed) 105mm M68A1 Main Gun System to me.

Note the fume extractor mid-way down the barrel? It is the exact same design as those of the M1 and M1IP's I originally worked on and crewed in the U.S Army.

Noway those are Russian/Soviet type 130mm pieces...

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m1.htm

(Login Hayq)
Imperium Europeum (Europe)

January 4 2005, 12:33 PM 

they seem to be making BMP type vehicles as well in that factory. Not bad. But they still look like Old Soviet tanks.

Pending

Pedjman
(Login Pedjman)

January 4 2005, 12:45 PM 

With this seen we can assume that Global securitys assumtions on irans tank fleet ,that Iran had only 1.565 tanks was pure BS.

(Login soyuz1917)

January 4 2005, 12:46 PM 

the safir-74 according to most sources has a 105mm gun most T-55 and 62 upgrades have junked the 115mm gun in favor of the old 105mm only because Russia no longer makes 115mm shells. That certainly isnt a 2a46 125mm gun the 2a46 is very distinct and easy to spot.

(Login turan8)
The Conquerors (Turkey)

January 4 2005, 12:53 PM 

Yeah I agree it's not a 125mm because the bore evacuator is located higher on 125mm's then Nato standard. It is 105mm.

BTW you can tell that its rifled too, thats another dead giveaway.

--------------------------------------------
"In some places I have seen women who put a piece of cloth or towel or something like it over their heads to hide their faces, and who turn their backs or huddle themselves on the ground when a man passes by. What is the meaning and sense of this behavior? Gentleman, can mothers and daughters of a civilized nation adopt this strange manner, the barbarious posture? It is a spectacle that makes the nation an object of ridicule. It must be remedied at once." -Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

Anonymous
(Login fariborz_57)
Administrator

January 4 2005, 1:21 PM 

General Question for people with knowledge of ballistics:

When a tank uses smooth bore gun, does it mean that the barrel is not rifled? If that is the case and the projectile is not spinning along its longitudinal axis, how can its path not be affected by cross winds?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous
(Login Roosbeh.)
The Anusiya (Iran)

i mean building more of these would be more effectiv

January 4 2005, 1:52 PM 

Anonymous
(Login Roosbeh.)
The Anusiya (Iran)

and of course please more of this !

January 4 2005, 1:55 PM 

Kourosh
(Login yekta)

January 4 2005, 1:56 PM 

<<When a tank uses smooth bore gun, does it mean that the barrel is not rifled? If that is the case and the projectile is not spinning along its longitudinal axis, how can its path not be affected by cross winds?>>

Smooth bore uses projectiles with "dart" shape (fins) to achieve stabilization not rotational force.
In fact APFSDS (Armour Piercing Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot) work much better in smooth bore guns than rifled.

Anonymous
(Login fariborz_57)
Administrator

January 4 2005, 2:01 PM 

LOL

Ah, that is simple and so obvious . Thanks bro.

(Login Robun)

January 4 2005, 4:34 PM 

Those tanks do not stand a chance against Brittish and American tanks

(Login nsdap_id)
WAFFer

January 5 2005, 8:01 PM 

"Those tanks do not stand a chance against Brittish and American tanks"

That's right, buddy, but half-starved Iraqis turned them into rubbles only with ol'fashioned RPG-7!!

(Login KJlost)
WAFFer

January 5 2005, 8:06 PM 

Handful of tanks are hit with RPG, and they're suddenly looked down upon? No tank is indestructable, and since US pushed the tanks into tight spots to save infantry casualties, their losses are suprisingly light considering.

AK_Baluch
(Login AK_Baluch)
The Anusiya (Iran)

January 6 2005, 3:45 PM 

Sure no tank is indestructible but an RPG7 isn't considered high explosive either. As for reducing casulaties by using tanks well that apparantly hasn't worked out either... So stop making excuses Abrams suck!

Saper
(Login saper)
WAFFer

January 6 2005, 5:36 PM 

Well, the way I see it, all military equipment was build for a specific purpose, if you decide use it in a manner that was not design for, you can expect some problems, thus giving the equipment bad name.
Just becouse a 9mm pistol can not shoot down an aircraft from 5 km it does not mean that the hand gun is bad, it means it was not used for what it was build..
or something to that effect.I think you get the drift..

m2c

lipanlapan
(Login lipanlapan)
WAFFer

February 4 2005, 12:13 AM 

--------

What was this cylinder for ? Or, what exactly is this ?

Anonymous
(Login estergon)
WAFFer

February 4 2005, 6:36 AM 

T-72Z Safir-74 - An Iranian upgrade to the T-54/T-55 that may have been applied to Iraqi T-54s captured in the Iran-Iraq War. This has a number of improvements including a 105 mm M68 rifled tank gun, computerised fire-control system and a new power pack which consists of a diesel engine, fully automatic transmission and cooling system

t-54

Anonymous
(Login AZARTOOPHAN)

February 5 2005, 6:36 PM 

HEHE. I like this tank factory.

Anonymous
(Login PERSPOLIS)
The Anusiya (Iran)

February 6 2005, 11:57 AM 

HARPY

HARPY is a lethal UAV designed to detect, attack and destroy radar emitters.
Harpy is a "Fire-and-Forget" all-weather, day/night autonomous weapon system, launched from a ground vehicle behind the battle zone or from ship based launchers.

HARPY effectively suppresses hostile SAM and radar sites for long duration, by detecting, attacking and destroying radar targets with a very high hit accuracy.

HARPY provides the most effective solution to the hostile radar problem, at the lowest price. HARPY is in production, is already operational with several nations Air Forces, and is currently available.

Weighs 135 kg, 2.1 meter long, 2.7 meter span and with range of 500 km. It is sealed in its sealed launcher/container, to endure harsh battlefield conditions. It can be fueled or defueled in the launcher, therefore retaining its readiness at all time. The system uses periodical built-in test to maintain full readiness.

The Harpy mission is planned and programmed in the battery ground control center, as an independent mission, or planned in accordance with other manned or unmanned systems. The drone flies autonomously enroute to its patrol area its radar seeker head constantly search for hostile radars. Once suspicious radar is acquired, Harpy compares the signal to the library of hostile emitters, and prioritizes the threat. If the target is verified, the drone enters an attack mode, as it transitions into a near vertical dive, homing on the signal. The drone is set to detonate its warhead just above the target, to generate the highest damage to the antennae, and surrounding facilities. If the radar is turned off before Harpy strikes, the drone can abort the attack and continue loitering. If no radar was spotted during the mission, the drone is programmed to self destruct over a designated area. Follow-on systems which are already proposed to foreign clients, are calling for a combination of seeker and killer drones that will enable visual identification and attack of targets even after they turn off their emitters.

Harpy Delivered to Turkey

In a deal dating back to 1999, the Turkish Armed Forces (TAF) have taken delivery of a number on Harpy lethal unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) from Israel Aircraft Industries Ltd. (IAI). The exact number is unknown, but reports suggest that more than 100 lethal UAVs were delivered.
IAI's MBT Division develop and produce the Harpy system, which is an attack UAV used in the suppression of enemy aerial defences (SEAD) role. It is a ‘Fire-and-Forget' all-weather, day/night autonomous weapon system, launched from a ground vehicle mainly against hostile radar emitters, amongst others.

In June 1999 MBT and Raytheon Missile Systems teamed to market the more advanced Combat UAV Target Locate and Strike System (CUTLASS), based on the proven Harpy's UAV type airframe.

Harpy is currently operational with several Air Forces globally.

Harpy Delivered to India

According to media reports, the Indian army has purchased a number of the armed Harpy drone, produced by Israel Aircraft Industries.

artesh
(Login artesh)
WAFFer

Re: Iranian tank factory

February 6 2005, 3:18 PM 

@ AK_Baluch-
"So stop making excuses Abrams suck!"

If you say that Abramses suck, then EVERY tank in the world sucks. Period. I'm assuming you haven't read the book Thunder Run. It's about the armored raids that the 3rd Infantry Division made into Baghdad. Those tanks survived dozens of RPG hits and only two were knocked out, by hits in their engine compartments where the armor is about as thick as aluminum foil. Yes, the Abrams has some weak spots, but it definitely DOES NOT suck. It is one of the most durable tanks on Earth.

(Login G-Capo)

February 6 2005, 3:23 PM 

I agree with Artesh

(Login Salahedin)

February 6 2005, 3:49 PM 

true i agree, abrams has some freakin magical armor or something :/ damn synthetic fibres + technology :< although tanks are far from being very important to war. Its not like WWII anymore, hardly any tank battles, tanks are great for occupying cities and keeping them under control. Thus they do their jobs well in Iraq etc, i hope we see more burning soon :>

(Login G-Capo)

February 6 2005, 3:55 PM 

Well tanks are very important in the battlefield.
They were used very effecivly during the YumKippur War by Egypt and they used armour to spear head many attacks with infantry.

Highly doubt you'll see any abrahms burning

(Login Salahedin)

February 6 2005, 3:57 PM 

True :> yeah i mean if you have a border with another country that your fighting its very important. But Air supremacy remains the msot vital air/anti air - Navy - IFVs and personnel(marines, soldiers)- Tanks for long term occupation (or going all out on cities lol)Oh Yeah and a nice missile arsenal :>

(Login Seyedof)

February 9 2005, 3:04 PM 

The tank pictured is T72Z, actually the T55 with enhanced powerpack, 125mm gun, EFCS-3 firing control, and modified turret crew positions but still no automatic loader like T72, it is loaded manually. And i have been in that factory but i can not tell where it is located (security reasons). In the same factory BMP-1 APCs are also manufactured, as far as i remember the iranian made BMP-1's are called Boragh.

Iran also produces T72S or M, the know-how is bought from russia.

Persian Shah
(Login Persian_Shah)

February 9 2005, 9:30 PM 

@Seyedof.
I remember last time that I was having lunch with Shamkhani and showing him some of my new designs, he mentioned you.

@Agent Aviv.
I was just joking, don’t kidnap me.

(Login PappaRage)

February 9 2005, 9:35 PM 

"I remember last time that I was having lunch with Shamkhani and showing him some of my new designs, he mentioned you."

Lol, having lunch with Shamkhani? Dadash, what are you on about?

(Login Seyedof)

February 10 2005, 5:10 AM 

Persian_Shah i'm working in the iranian defence industries, i have no lunch with shamkhani:) and there is no need to have lunch or dinner with him inorder to know this information:) For more information about me refer to the thread with @Seyedof topic. What do you think? do you think all the people working in defence ind are stupid or out of date persons?

Current Topic - iranian tank factory  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
WAFF recommends these sites

Indian Defence Analysis      [Definitive Lapse of Reason]