Asia & Pacific Defence Forum
Help, Suggestions & Complaints

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Iran’s rich eat ice cream covered in gold as poor struggle to survive

August 5 2011 at 11:34 PM
TT  (Login TryphonTournesol)
The Anusiya (Iran)

By Thomas Erdbrink, Friday, August 5, 12:02 PM

TEHRAN Gold-flecked ice cream wasnt part of the picture that Shiite Muslim clerics painted during the Iranian Revolution, when they promised to lift the poor by distributing the countrys vast oil income equally across society.

But more than three decades later, record oil profits have brought in billions, and some people here are enjoying that decadent dessert. The trouble is, its just a small group of wealthy Iranians. Despite the promises of the revolution, many here say the gap between rich and poor has never seemed bigger.

Irans new wealthy class has succeeded in tapping the opportunities provided by a vast domestic market, sometimes aided by corruption and erratic government policies. It includes children of people with close connections to some of Irans rulers, as well as families of factory owners and those who managed to get huge loans from state banks at low interest rates. The trickling down of the oil windfall nearly $500 billion over the past five years has also played a central role in establishing this small group that is visibly enjoying its profits.

Both supporters and critics of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad say some of his economic policies designed to counter inequality are actually making things worse for many. And although some statistics show the gap between the Islamic Republics rich and poor has been stable over time, scenes of the rich flaunting their wealth have left many Iranians complaining.

The new wealthy are buying Porsches, getting caviar delivered to late-night parties, and eating $250 ice creams covered in edible gold at whats billed as the highest rotating restaurant in the world.

From the top of Tehrans 1,427-foot-high Milad Tower, Irans poor are reduced to tiny dots, swarming in the streets below.

We provide a calm and luxurious atmosphere, away from Tehrans daily problems, said Ahmad Talaee, one of the owners of the Crown restaurant, as he received guests in the VIP section, with room for nearly 300 to enjoy $280 fixed-price menus, golden ice cream not included.

Construction workers in worn-out shoes waited in the hallway one recent afternoon to make final fixes at the restaurant, which opened in June, as a young couple in designer clothes fed each other shrimp flown in from the Persian Gulf. As you can see, the owner said, we are re-creating the fairy tales of the legendary stories of 1,001 Nights right here in Tehran.

But that ritzy lifestyle, set against a backdrop of increasing economic hardship for millions of ordinary Iranians, is leading to open criticism.

People are writing open letters complaining about the rise in inequality. Influential conservative blogger Amir Hossein Sabeti wrote last month that the shift in the way Iranians conduct themselves in public, increasingly ignoring the soberness that the revolution prescribed, is a bigger threat to Irans ideology than the United States or Israel.

How can we discuss decency, simplicity and support for the oppressed when we have this culture of ostentatiously showing off wealth? he asked. Woe unto us the day that our policies stop supporting the needy, but support the wealthy, he wrote, quoting famous words from the late founder of the Islamic Republic, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.

Page 2 of 2
The popular resentment over inequality has a strong political dimension in Iran. During his two election campaigns, Ahmadinejad attacked a group influential clerics connected to former president Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, accusing them of using their positions to accumulate vast wealth. But some of his closest aides are also accused of corruption. The public attacks have left the impression that many who lead the country have been unable to avoid temptations to tap the vast oil wealth for personal use.

Iranians sense that they had been left out of the oil boom was a key factor in the downfall of Western-backed Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, experts say.

Anger over inequality had been the main motivation for people to join the 1979 revolution, said Hossein Raghfar, an economist who recently quit his post as an adviser to Ahmadinejads government because, he said, he disagreed with its policies. But after the dust settled down, we quickly witnessed a marriage of power and wealth in Iran. Now we are no different from the United States.

Although Ahmadinejad declared recently that inequality is on the decline, Raghfar disputed government statistics. He also stressed that, particularly in a society so strongly based on ideology, perception matters a lot. Reports that some 2.5 million children are working rather than attending school, and, he said, even an increase in legal kidney sales along with a recent price drop, from $10,000 to $2,000, because so many people are selling their organs for cash all give people the clear idea that they are sliding into poverty.

The financial pressures on Iranian society can be seen everywhere, he said. There is a rise in crime, prostitution and an underground economy thriving on corruption, Raghfar said. Believe me, this is not what we expected when we joined the revolution.

The way wealth is distributed in the Islamic Republic is a growing concern for Iranian leaders. In a keynote speech during Irans New Year ceremonies in March, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei urged officials to act, saying the disparities were intolerable and not accepted by Islam.

Ahmadinejads 2005 campaign promise to establish social justice was one of the main reasons that Khamenei said he supported his candidacy. But now some of the presidents supporters say that many of his policies meant to redistribute wealth have had adverse effects.

In December, Ahmadinejad implemented a radical overhaul of the way state subsidies are handed out. By directly giving the money to the poor, he said, justice would be established. At the same time, however, prices of food and utilities have been allowed to rise to market levels, at times tripling or more.

Now, more than 60 million of Irans 70 million citizens receive monthly handouts of $40, while inflation has risen 26 percent compared with the same period last year, according to figures released in July by the Iranian Central Bank.

Although the scheme did not lead to the popular unrest that many predicted, its long- term consequences are not yet clear. But plenty of Iranians are unhappy.

Several state-run newspapers printed a rare open letter in June from a housewife from a remote province who said she could no longer afford to feed her family.

Masoumeh Kamali said she voted for Ahmadinejad to help him reduce inequality. But now, she wrote, meat has gotten so expensive that we must banish it from our lives. Mr. President, the increased prices have broken the backs of the people.

The official Jomhuri-e Eslami newspaper followed with an editorial declaring that Iranians are tired of false promises, of the cost of living, poverty, unemployment and injustice.

At the Milad Tower, ordinary Iranians can buy $20 tickets to ride an elevator to the main observatory, with dramatic views of the capital, and, through tinted double glass, a close-up of the restaurants VIP section.

Inside, the expensive menu was a source of pride. We work hard here, said Talaee, as he asked a waiter to describe the ice cream, which also includes edible silver and caviar. People have the right to do what they want with their money. That has nothing to do with politics.

The Washington Post

Iran_4.JPG

Thomas Erdbrink/For The Washington Post - At the Milad Tower, ordinary Iranians can buy $20 tickets to ride an elevator to the main observatory, with dramatic views of the capital, and, through tinted double glass, a close-up of the restaurants VIP section.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kris
(Login ELWAPO)
Eagle Squadron (US)

Re: Iran’s rich eat ice cream covered in gold as poor struggle to survive

August 6 2011, 1:37 AM 

Wow, i didn't know such ice cream existed...

Looks like history is going to repeat itself, i just hope this time the iranians get this one right.

----------------
How nany nations...?
[linked image]
Korea: Fail.
Brazil: Fail.
UAE: Fail.
Singapore: Fail.

India.......
[linked image]
FAIL! [linked image]

WAFFer
(Login GER_Mark)
Panzer Brigade (Germany)

August 6 2011, 1:38 AM 

it must reallyy suck in a country where you cant get any wimmen besides you marry her, no alcohol, no party

life must suck there, so i guess gold covereed ice is super cool among iranian party scene lol

its about time to liberate them, they want freedom, i clearly see it!

[linked image]

TT
(Login TryphonTournesol)
The Anusiya (Iran)

August 6 2011, 1:52 AM 

// it must reallyy suck in a country where you cant get any wimmen besides you marry her, no alcohol, no party //

Actually, there is plenty of all of the above in Iran.

WAFFer
(Login Parthianshot)
WAFFer

August 6 2011, 10:47 AM 

Many of these major business owning (Bazari) bastards have been the major backbone of the regime.

----------------------
Photobucket

"You burn our beliefs, we burn your kids, it's only fair"

"It's not the ideology alone that they're afraid of, but the determination and will of the men behind that movement" : Parthianshots

WAFFer
(Login Serkan999)
WAFFer

August 6 2011, 11:21 AM 

Germark just because there is no alcohol and other infidel stuff doesnt mean people are miserable in Iran. Iran has one of the most social lifestyles in the whole world. Families get togheter eat togheter with music or go to the water side with rivers and sea. Or with holiday go to the mountains generally travel and do whatever they want.

[linked image]

Adler
8/6/2011 11:46:53 AMAs a non Muslim German Student there are some facts that I know about Iran:- If Israel attack Iran it will be the beginning of an end for the Zionist regime.- If NATO (puppet of USrael) target Iran they have to count with the highest and biggest casualties ever!- And I know if I could get there I would fight for Iran

WAFFer
(Login Parthianshot)
WAFFer

August 6 2011, 11:47 AM 

Its actually pretty easy to get Alcoholic drinks in Tehran from the black market.

One of my Kurdish Iranian friend's uncle has a farm of marijuana and the Police doesn't do a damn in his province.

----------------------
Photobucket

"It's not the ideology alone that they're afraid of, but the determination and will of the men behind that movement" : Parthianshots

WAFFer
(Login Benzeen)
The Anusiya (Iran)

August 6 2011, 3:26 PM 

I was traveling across Iran for the entire month of June 2011.

I can tellyou that honestly and it Saddens me to say, that due to the very bans that germark talked about, the young generation is being completly lost.

I have never seen yong people drinking so much ( whiskey bottles. Every night).
Girls in Iran are practically whorring themselves out. Having multiple sex partners while being in a relationship is a very common thing amongst iranian youth.

It's just like they say, what you are deprived off you seek more. The islamic republic has really failed in all aspects of society.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[linked image]

WAFFer
(Login Serkan999)
WAFFer

August 6 2011, 5:37 PM 

Quit clowning around. And risk your life for a couple of joints and alcohol? Yeah,how about no. It is true that on the black market you can get alcohol illegally. Probably better than drugs. Drugs is a big no no in Iran. If they find dealers and or users its big trouble. Highly exxagerating I must say.

[linked image]

Adler
8/6/2011 11:46:53 AMAs a non Muslim German Student there are some facts that I know about Iran:- If Israel attack Iran it will be the beginning of an end for the Zionist regime.- If NATO (puppet of USrael) target Iran they have to count with the highest and biggest casualties ever!- And I know if I could get there I would fight for Iran

Coalde
(Login coalde_one)

August 6 2011, 6:55 PM 

"Actually, there is plenty of all of the above in Iran. "

You know I always wondered if Tehran really is the global capital for liquid MDMA...one of the young Iranians mentions that in Syriana...anyone?

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
Mark Twain

AryanArya
(Login AryanArya)
Satyameva Jayate (India)

August 7 2011, 7:13 AM 

\\You know I always wondered if Tehran really is the global capital for liquid MDMA...one of the young Iranians mentions that in Syriana...anyone? \\

Dont know much about Liquid MDMA in Tehran, but what i do know is that Iran has the World's largest Opium users on a per capita basis.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/22/AR2005092202287.html

"According to the U.N. World Drug Report for 2005, Iran has the highest proportion of opiate addicts in the world -- 2.8 percent of the population over age 15. Only two other countries -- Mauritius and Kyrgyzstan -- pass the 2 percent mark. With a population of about 70 million and some government agencies putting the number of regular users close to 4 million, Iran has no real competition as world leader in per capita addiction to opiates, including heroin."

P.S.Many people confuse 'Liquid MDMA' with GHB, LOL ! MDMA as far as i know does not come in liquid form.

===========================================
[linked image]

Krinvanto Vishwam Aryam
(Make this World Noble)

- Rigveda

-------------------------------------------
[linked image]

TT
(Login TryphonTournesol)
The Anusiya (Iran)

August 7 2011, 8:16 AM 

// Dont know much about Liquid MDMA in Tehran, but what i do know is that Iran has the World's largest Opium users on a per capita basis. //

Yes, this is one of the many great achievements of the glorious Islamic revolution.

Coalde
(Login coalde_one)

August 7 2011, 8:35 AM 

"Yes, this is one of the many great achievements of the glorious Islamic revolution. "

Yeah well I would want to be pretty blasted all the time too if I had "religious police" running around making sure my beard was to standards...

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
Mark Twain

WAFFer
(Login Serkan999)
WAFFer

August 7 2011, 8:36 AM 

You will be suprised how things change in 6 years. I would say on drugs opium would be the biggest. I had this discussion with irkut befor and I showed him a link with information I cant be bothered to look for now. But it was about Canadian news agency praising Irans war on drugs for a non western nation. And having positive outcome as well. 75% of Irans executions are drug related. If you look at laws in countries like thailand where you can so much in trouble for drugs related crimes and see the succes they have it counts for Iran as well. Even harder with almost certain death penalty.

[linked image]

Adler

WAFFer
(Login Turkdude)
Banned little BITCH

August 7 2011, 5:27 PM 

yes I agree all iranians have very big noses

WAFFer
(Login Turkdude)
Banned little BITCH

August 7 2011, 5:44 PM 

So according to this article 60 million out of 70 million iranians get $40 a month as wellfare support.

How pathetic isn't that?

iran sucks, once a iranian always a taliban.

MUHAHHAHA you poor bastards soon israel will nuke your azzz MUHAHHAHAHA

[linked image]

[linked image]

WAFFer
(Login Serkan999)
WAFFer

August 7 2011, 6:44 PM 

Thread is officially ruined by mature virgin kaveh with no life. Pity.

[linked image]

Adler

FN
(Login Free_Nation)

August 7 2011, 8:55 PM 

"the Police doesn't do a damn in his province."

same story everywhere, pay the cops and you are safe. In India black markeeting thrives the same way, give the authorities their cut and everything runs smoothly.

=================================================================
Quotations by global leaders on phuckistan wink.gif

British PM David Cameron: There will be lots of questions about what support system bin Laden had in Pakistan, and we need those questions answered

White House counterterrorism chief John Brennan: Certainly his location there outside of the capital raises questions. We are talking to the Pakistanis about this. It's inconceivable that bin Laden did not have a support system in the country that allowed him to remain there for an extended period of time

Our government is in fiscal distress. To make contributions to a country that isn't going to be fully supportive is a problem for many, said US senate intelligence committee chair Dianne Feinstein

German chancellor Angela Merkel: The al-Qaida leader's death has exposed some gaps in antiterrorism campaign

French foreign minister Alain Juppe: I find it a little difficult to imagine that the presence of someone like bin Laden ... in a relatively small town could go completely unnoticed. Pakistans position lacks clarity in our view

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Client.asp?Daily=CAP&showST=true&login=default&pub=TOI&Enter=true&Skin=TOINEW&AW=1304526620083

WAFFer
(Login Parthianshot)
WAFFer

August 7 2011, 10:13 PM 

Benzeen, that's mainly Northern Tehran.

But it might become like that in the future through out all of Iran if the regime doesn't go.

----------------------
Photobucket

WAFFer
(Login Benzeen)
The Anusiya (Iran)

August 8 2011, 12:21 PM 

As i Said i Travelled across Iran, I didnt stay only in Tehran, and it seemed to be the theme almost every city I went to. Also from villages to citys i travelledm I did not find one person to honestly tell me they support the government. So all walks of life seem to be oppposed to the regime.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[linked image]

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
WAFF recommends these sites

Indian Defence Analysis      [Definitive Lapse of Reason]
r -->