Greece & Turkey Defence Forum Europe, Middle East & Africa
Defence Forum
Asia & Pacific Defence Forum
Help, Suggestions & Complaints

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Sweden Intercepts 80% of Russian Internet Traffic – Assange

April 11 2012 at 2:57 AM

Coalde  (Login cwc.mgmt)

Well if it comes from Wikileaks it must be true!
12:30 11/04/2012

Swedish security services intercept 80 percent of Russian internet traffic and share the gathered information with the United States, WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has said in an interview with Britains New Internationalist magazine.

"The FRA [Forsvarets Radioanstalt], which is the big spy agency in Sweden, intercepts 80 per cent of Russian internet traffic and they sell it on to the national security agency in the US, Assange told the magazine.

Theres no longer a need to select who you intercept you intercept everyone and you permanently record the whole thing...
...the remainder of the story and other related articles can be found at CyberWar Central.

[Cyberwar Central]

"Come out from man foul spirit.
What is thy name?"
And he said unto him,
"Our name is legion, for we are many."
Gospel of Mark, 5 - 8
[linked image]
Patriotism is your conviction
that your country is
superior to all others because
you were born in it.
George Bernard Shaw
[Cyberwar Central]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
WAFFer
(Login UndonePulse)
Shaheens (Pakistan)

Re: Sweden Intercepts 80% of Russian Internet Traffic – Assange

April 13 2012, 10:51 AM 

Assange is a CIA parrot . By his (revelations) it is more than evident that all what he leaked is in US's benefit or soon would be.

Nikephoros
(Login Nikephoros)
Eagle Squadron (US)

April 13 2012, 1:15 PM 

They intercept alot of data, but there is no capability to process through and filter the most important of it. And even if you do find the most important info, good luck getting any actionable result from it.

I heard a great talk on the CIA by an expert in open source intelligence and ex Cia-agent in a 2600 talk. He said that the CIA spends alot of money to collect data that only gathers dust in archives or stays inert in some data center. I think that is an on the money assessment.

Sig:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[linked image]
Why is vaseline in my sig? Because Turks don't want to read what I post. Hopefully the lube makes it easier for those criminal scum who are such great cry-babies to swallow.

the
(Login the-me)
Satyameva Jayate (India)

April 13 2012, 7:07 PM 

Theres no longer a need to select who you intercept you intercept everyone and you permanently record the whole thing...
==============
That must be huge huge data day after day after day. I wonder how they store all that. Not to mention processing as Nik said above.

Coalde
(Login cwc.mgmt)

April 16 2012, 3:31 AM 

"That must be huge huge data day after day after day. I wonder how they store all that. Not to mention processing as Nik said above."

Storage really isn't an issue, there are several techniques to minimize the storage requirements available on the market (most of them developed to address these same issues when backing up machines). As for processing, usually they go through several different automated pattern (i.e. looking for specific words, etc.) processes prior to being forwarded on to a human for analysis.

[Cyberwar Central]

"Come out from man foul spirit.
What is thy name?"
And he said unto him,
"Our name is legion, for we are many."
Gospel of Mark, 5 - 8
[linked image]
Patriotism is your conviction
that your country is
superior to all others because
you were born in it.
George Bernard Shaw
[Cyberwar Central]

WAFFer
(Login Jagare)
Soldiers

April 17 2012, 2:21 PM 

I have a few documents that would interest this discussion, but they are all in swedish... its even more then just russian...

Rzecz
(Login Rzeczpospolita)
Elite WAFF Vet Club

April 18 2012, 1:01 AM 

It isn't the language they are interested in... but the numbers.

Siege of Tobruk - One German POW said: "I cannot understand you Australians. In Poland, France, and Belgium, once the tanks got through the soldiers took it for granted that they were beaten. But you are like demons. The tanks break through and your infantry still keep fighting." Rommel wrote of seeing "a batch of some fifty or sixty Australian prisoners ... marched off close behind usimmensely big and powerful men, who without question represented an elite formation of the British Empire, a fact that was also evident in battle."

[linked image]
"As a Internet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

TaranisTyphoon
(Login TaranisTyphoon)

April 21 2012, 11:43 AM 

That must be huge huge data day after day after day. I wonder how they store all that. Not to mention processing as Nik said above.

Check out the Utah Data centre! Most of the internet traffic is well suited to compression techniques.

The National Security Agency (NSA) is building the $1.5 billion Community Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative Data Center at Camp Williams, the first in a series of data centers required for the Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative.[2][3][4] The 1.5 million square foot facility built on 200 acres is expected to store 1 yottabyte of data by 2015.[5][6][7] The facility which is expected to be completed in October 2013 will use 65 megawatts and will cost another $2 billion for hardware, software, and maintenance.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Williams

I wonder what size each individual hard drive is though happy.gif

This message has been edited by TaranisTyphoon on Apr 22, 2012 7:55 AM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
WAFF recommends these sites

Indian Defence Analysis      [Definitive Lapse of Reason]
r -->