In The Cage With Tigerpaws

Information about Edinburgh

Visitors since March 17, 2003.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Zach Hyman...will he make the bigs or will he not?

January 16 2011 at 5:11 PM
No score for this post

Wayne Lewis  (Login wayjoy)

Often we look at a player who excels at junior hockey and we begin to speculate whether he will make it at the next level.

One of the things one looks for is that player's ability to adjust his game so that he gives himself the best chance at succeeding at the next level.

We look at prolific numbers in junior and assume that is what he has to carry with him to the next level.

It is never that simple.

We have all heard of such players. Big numbers in junior. Yet he's transformed into a good 3rd or 4th line NHL player.

And we see guys who lit it up in junior both major and tier 2 but fall by the wayside after that, never to be heard of at the next levels of hockey.

Simply because they either did not or could not adapt their games to be successful at the next level. We see those who try to continue to do what mafe them successful at the junior level. And we see them not capable of making the changes required to stick at the next level.

We often see guys with big numbers at the tier two level but don't have the same success at the major junior level.The OJHL is full of them.

I remember a fellow by the name of Scott Fleming a few years ago who had a wonderful career with the tier two Wellington Dukes. He increased his offensive numbers each year he played there. Then when he went to the ECAC with Dartmouth, he did it again.

As much as I loved this guy's play, I could not ever say whether he had what it takes for the next level. But it turns out he did. But whether that is the end of the road for him is hard to say.

Scott Fleming
Forward
Born Jan 6 1988 -- Plainfield, ONT
Height 5.11 -- Weight 170 -- Shoots L
Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2004-05 Wellington Dukes OPJHL 44 3 10 13 8
2005-06 Wellington Dukes OPJHL 49 15 31 46 24
2006-07 Wellington Dukes OPJHL 48 28 40 68 26
2007-08 Dartmouth College ECAC 32 6 5 11 6
2008-09 Dartmouth College ECAC 31 13 12 25 14
2009-10 Dartmouth College ECAC 32 22 17 39 39
2010-11 Dartmouth College ECAC 17 8 12 20 2

This is the kind of thing that is looked for when considering a player's promotion to another level of hockey.

And whether Fleming can increase his numbers this year as he's done every year he played at both levels, remains to be seen.

I guess what I am trying to say that whether a player can play at the next level of hockey has as much to do with his the ability of his skillset, health, adaptibility and willingness to accept a different role and last of all, some luck.

And whether Zach Hyman or anybody else has it for the next step, is premature, at this point, to say whether he has or hasn't.

One thing for sure. Most of us wish him well in his hockey future. And we will be the first to applaud him should he go on to stardom at the next levels of hockey. Afterall, we are all OJHL fans and can say we saw him play. wink.gif

Remember how dynamic Andrew Cogliano was with St. Michael's? He is playing in the NHL now. Good for him.

However, he isn't the same dynamic player he was at tier two level but he got there by knowing he had likely to adapt his game if he wanted to stick around. He found out pretty quickly, that his future was not likely to be another Mario or Gretz.

Now Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle or John Tavares are some of those prolific major junior players? Will they evolve or transform in order to stick around at the NHL level?

Most will agree they'll be around at the highest level for some time. But what they leave as their legacies is yet to be determined.

Stay tuned.

Wayjoy

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login THAYWARD)
Forum Owner

Re: Zach Hyman...will he make the bigs or will he not?

No score for this post
January 16 2011, 8:10 PM 

Whether young Zach makes it to the bigs or not I certainly hope that he is afforded a fair opportunity based on his own credentials and not the influences that surround him!

When you mentioned Andrew Cogliano and his success of becoming a regular in the NHL, I clearly remember him playing against our Georgetown Raiders during the Dudley Hewitt held here in town and how I mentioned to my wife how I believed he was destined for the pros!

Wayne I also remember watching Mark Giordano when he played with the Brampton Capitals who were the OHA Provincial Champions under Mario Chicchilo, I believe it was 2002. At that time Giordano wasn't a standout, steady indeed but not spectacular.

He was however teachable and bought into the coaching philosophies around him which ultimately earned him a well deserved roster spot with the Calgary Flames! 

Puckmovingblueliner
(Login puckmovingblueliner)

No score for this post
January 17 2011, 12:23 AM 

To this day, I'd say Giordano is steady but not spectacular in the NHL, and that's definitely a compliment. Every team needs that type of steady defencemen, players who are teachable and give 100%.

Anonymous
(Login honestyy)

pros

No score for this post
January 17 2011, 2:54 PM 

WHO! CARES

bludna
(Login bludna)

Zach

No score for this post
January 17 2011, 6:22 PM 

Mr Hammer cares. I wondered how long it would take for this thread to turn negative.

"If you cant say anthing nice then shut up"=--------My Mom.

Honestly hasnt this subject been beaten to death in one form or another.?

Anonymous
(Login SkankMartin)

Re: Zach

No score for this post
January 20 2011, 12:59 AM 

I have spoken with a former coach of Mr. Zach Hyman and posed the same question to him. He has no relationship with the Hymans anymore or the Red Wings.

His response....."that kid has earned everything he has ever gotten." " He carries himself like a man, and you wouldnt ever get the impression that he feels like he is owed anything."

Whether he makes the big leagues or not, he will definelty get a great education at Princeton. Good Luck Zach.

Anonymous
(Login laduet22)

Princeton-Wonder Why?

No score for this post
January 20 2011, 1:03 PM 

Whether he makes the big leagues or not, he will definelty get a great education at Princeton. Good Luck Zach.

Well, one of the reasons he is going there is because his dad raises a lot of money for the Princeton hockey program. And Im sure the Princeton hockey coaches are well compensated for looking after the Red Wings and specially the Hyman family. Not saying this is the only reason but Im sure the Princeton coaches feel a little obligation for the $$$ they recieve. I dont mean this to be negative but its a fact. The U.S D1 programs are full of players with rich dads who donate to the schools big $$$$ or bring their teams down for their socalled summer hockey programs which in reality are fund raisers for the schools and only benefit the chosen few. Players should stay away from a junior team when that team wants to charge you $$$$ for a summer hockey program say at Cornell, Princeton etc.

Anonymous
(Login huntts)

Big Leagues

No score for this post
January 20 2011, 6:47 PM 

First off, Education? is that why he is going to Prince, What is he Majoring in

The Pros?
well the way he played against the Raiders the other night with all that icetime, No i really Doubt that.
but who am i, Strange things Happen.

Dave
(Login Wings4Life)

Re: pros

No score for this post
January 20 2011, 1:05 PM 

I do...It is a big step if a Junior A player makes the NHL, not many have really done it before.

Estock
(Login Estock)

Speaking of Princeton

No score for this post
January 20 2011, 1:35 PM 

Former Red Wings Jeremy Goodwin and Marc Hagel are on the Tigers roster though neither has played many games this season.

SMC57
(Login SMC57)

Re: Speaking of Princeton

No score for this post
January 20 2011, 2:01 PM 

John Madden who spent 10 yrs with the New Jersey Devils before moving to the Wild and Black Hawks, made it to the NHL and never played even Tier II Junior "A" hockey, Madden's only Junior hockey was played with the Barrie Colt's OHA Junior "B" team. He was drafted by the Niagara Falls Thunder from the Junior "B" Colts after he scored 228 pts in two years 1992 & 1993 with the Colts. He did not report to the Thunder, but rather accepted an NCAA Scholarship to the University of Michigan and played 4 years for the Wolverines under Red Berenson. At Michigan he set a record for most career shorthanded goals. He was signed by the Devils in 1997 as an amateur free agent.

True, not many make it from OHA Junior "A" however John Madden made it from the OHA Junior "B" ranks, pretty good accomplishment I would say.

John's younger brother Scott played in our league for Lindsay and later for Newmarket, don't know where Scott is today.

It can be done, but the successful players are few and far between.

Wayne Lewis
(Login wayjoy)

here you go, SMC

No score for this post
January 20 2011, 3:09 PM 

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=89781

Scott Madden
Defense
Born Jan 15 1988 -- Barrie, ONT
Height 5.11 -- Weight 180 -- Shoots L
Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2004-05 Lindsay Muskies OPJHL 36 5 6 11 35
2004-05 Milton Icehawks OPJHL 7 0 2 2 8
2005-06 Plymouth Whalers OHL 20 0 1 1 4 -- -- -- -- --
2005-06 Oshawa Generals OHL 21 1 1 2 12 -- -- -- -- --
2006-07 Oshawa Generals OHL 23 0 8 8 21 -- -- -- -- --
2006-07 Newmarket Hurricanes OPJHL 11 3 1 4 6
2007-08 Newmarket Hurricanes OPJHL 32 5 12 17 29
2009-10 Ryerson University CIS 25 2 4 6 26

Wayjoy

SMC57
(Login SMC57)

Re: here you go, SMC

No score for this post
January 20 2011, 4:53 PM 

Thanks Wayne, appreciate it.

Anonymous
(Login silveroo)

Re: here you go, SMC

No score for this post
January 20 2011, 8:07 PM 

Two thumbs up! See you in the show buddy!!
:)

Anonymous
(Login pumpkindan)

No score for this post
January 20 2011, 10:31 PM 

Only if his dad or granpa buy a portion of the team.

Anonymous
(Login ohmg4)

No score for this post
January 21 2011, 11:21 PM 

Will Mississauga & Collingwood be there?

I saw todays game.

over hyped
over played
over rated

Dave
(Login Wings4Life)

No score for this post
January 22 2011, 12:14 AM 

One bad game makes or breaks a career according to "ohmg4"...

Guess Taylor Hall is a bust since he did not score in his first few games...Same with Seguin, Stamkos too...Hell, Crosby is garbage since he did not get a point against the Islanders when he ended his points streak...

:facepalm:

Anonymous
(Login silveroo)

No score for this post
January 22 2011, 9:01 AM 

Dave is right. He watches kid play every game since he is from Hamilton.
Hyman is the real deal.

Look forward to watching kid play in the NHL

SMC57
(Login SMC57)

No score for this post
January 22 2011, 11:27 AM 

Wait a minute, are you comparing Zack Hyman to Hall, Seguin, Stamkos and Crosby??????

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember the famous line that a US Senator said to one of the US presidential candidates during a televised debate some time ago when the candidate compared himself to John F. Kennedy?

The Senator said "SIR, YOU ARE NO JOHN F. KENNEDY".

Zack Hyman & Sidney Crosby???? WOW THAT'S A STRETCH!!!!

Anonymous
(Login silveroo)

No score for this post
January 22 2011, 11:41 AM 

SMC you would if he played for Aurora! LOL!

SMC57
(Login SMC57)

No score for this post
January 22 2011, 11:45 AM 

Not true silveroo, with all the great players that have played for the Tigers over the years, I never compared any of them to NHL Stars.

Sidney Crosby????????? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ezrock
(Login ezrock)

No score for this post
January 22 2011, 12:38 PM 

I have watched this kid a few games, maybe i havn't watched him as much as others but I don't see the NHL skill level. If he was so good he wouldn't be in this league and his stats have been padded.

bludna
(Login bludna)

Hyman

No score for this post
January 22 2011, 12:54 PM 

I took in the pink rink last night and was impressed with both teams.
These are young guys and to stand on a goal line for 35 mins while listening to a well intentioned message left me touched by their resolve to pay respect to cancer victums.
Joe Laise and the Oakville blades are to be congratulated for their efforts in providing
a memorable night.
Nuff said ,the hockey game started out slow since more than a couple had stiff legs to
contend with. I paid particular attention to Zack Kyman . He can carry the puck
deke defense get in to small open areas and release a very hard shot. HE has
enough bits and pieces that he can take his game to a higher level.NHL I dont know
at this point. Given a opportunity to player with older and better players who
can exploit his talents who knows? He has some deficencies but I dont believe in
writing negatives about 18 year olds.
Would there be a team in the OJHL who would turn him away if offered me thinks not.

Dave
(Login Wings4Life)

No score for this post
January 22 2011, 3:02 PM 

SMC,
I am in no way, shape or form comparing him to Crosby, but what I am saying is that good players have bad games ALL THE DAMN TIME...They are human..

Current Topic - Zach Hyman...will he make the bigs or will he not?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Junior HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Please respect this forums guidelines, Network54's guidelines and your fellow participants.