Curing Light
In The Cage With Tigerpaws
Visitors since March 17, 2003.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

Golden Hawks #2 in Nation.

October 3 2011 at 6:53 AM
No score for this post

25zippers  (Login 25zippers)

For what they're worth, here are the national rankings. Nice to see that they're still listed as pre-season..... Maybe it isn't just that administrators at the OJHL that are making tier II hockey look bush league.

The Canadian Junior Hockey League (CJHL) announced today its Weekly Top 20 rankings in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting. The 2011 - 2012 Pre-Season rankings and the leagues in which the teams belong to are in parenthesis.

The CJHL Weekly Top 20 as of Monday, October 3, 2011

1. (7) Cornwall Colts (CCHL)
2. (NR) Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL)
3. (5) Powell River Kings (BCHL)
4. (17) Winkler Flyers (MJHL)
5. (10) Woodstock Slammers (MHL)
6. (2) Vernon Vipers (BCHL)
7. (NR) Les Cougars du College Champlain - Sherbrooke (LHJAAAQ)
8. (NR) Brooks Bandits (AJHL)
9. (HM) Soo Eagles (NOJHL)
10. (NR) St. Michael's Buzzers (OJHL)
11. (NR) Dauphin Kings (MJHL)
12. (8) Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL)
13. (NR) Nipawin Hawks (SJHL)
14. (13) Wisconsin Wilderness (SIJHL)
15. (11) Newmarket Hurricanes (OHHL)
16. (18) Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL)
17. (4) Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL)
18. (NR) Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL)
19. (NR) Stouffville Spirit (OJHL)
20. (NR) College Francais de Longueuil (LHJAAAQ)

Honorable mention goes to the Surrey Eagles (BCHL), Bonnyville Pontiacs (AJHL), Sherwood Park Crusaders (AJHL), Flin Flon Bombers (MJHL), and the Amherst Ramblers (MHL).

The rankings are based upon a variety of factors which includes the league in which the teams belong to, their winning percentage, their win-loss record, total points accumulated, their goals-for versus goals-against ratio, amongst other factors.

The CJHL is an amalgamation of the ten Junior A hockey leagues from across Canada.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
cchlounger
(Login cchlounger)

National rankings

No score for this post
October 3 2011, 10:36 AM 

First time in a long time that I actually agree with the top two selections.

Cornwall's top line is the best in the country! They have huge talent, and could possibly be a factor for the RBC Cup. However, the Colts have been known to fold like a cheap suit come playoff time.

As for the Hawks,......well deserved. Good system, good talent, good coach and good fans.

How a team like the Soo gets on a national list is a joke. They wouldn't even finish in the top half of the OJHL.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Anonymous
(Login RocknRoll4hockey)

Re: National rankings

No score for this post
October 3 2011, 10:58 AM 

Zipper, these are the "real" rankings. The weekly ones. I believe the reference to pre-season was just for the brackets after this week's placings. It's always hard to compare apples and oranges but maybe this is more of a reality check than the pre-season rankings released on September 6th.

SMC57
(Login SMC57)

Re: National rankings

No score for this post
October 3 2011, 12:24 PM 

Not surprising to me that Trenton is in 2nd place already. By the end of the season they will be rated #1.

nojfan
(Login NOJfan)

soo

No score for this post
October 3 2011, 9:07 PM 

same joke that almost knocked out the Dukes last year after a quadruple OT game in the DHC? I realize goaltending and work ethic was what kept them in the game against the DHC semi but i called Jake Patterson a great goalie prior to the tourney and i was blown off, but look what ALMOST happened and look where Jake is now. Eagles are a better team than last year so i'm sure they can compete in the OJ just fine.

NOJHL is not a great league but when you put the guy who ran the reputable Chicago Young American program for many years with all his contacts, and you throw Pat Lafontaine in the mix, and the Saginaw Spirit as their feeder team, you're going to be a solid club. It's built the right way too, no daddies or deep pockets and that's something few teams in the OJ can say. NOJHL hasn't produced a great champion in over a decade, but then again we haven't had any deep pockets since then either.

I'd put the Eagles in the top 5 of the OJ. Not saying they'd play with the Hawks yet but they're a good squad and they can skate, once they find a true go to goalie, they'll be a handful, for any team in ontario save maybe the Colts. Soo Tbirds are a good club too, 14 GAA in 8 games is impressive last time i checked.

Soo eagles are a solid org with a great rink with some of the best attended games outside the "O". Doing Jr hockey the right way and should be the envy of most OJ orgs.

cchlounger
(Login cchlounger)

Re: soo

No score for this post
October 4 2011, 9:00 AM 

Nojfan,

Sorry, I was referring more to the T-Birds rather than the Eagles.

But to put hi-lite my point, Wellington dominated the first contest between the two at last seasons Dudley and had 90 freaken shots in the other game.

So, to suggest that the Soo was legitimately in the same calibre as Wellington is slightly misleading. It was a one man performance in that particular game.

And I'm not trying to knock the Eagles because they are a class organization. But, I don't think they would be a top five team in the OJHL. Maybe top seven or eight!

And as far as clubs in the OJHL, many of those that make the national rankings have no legitimate claim either. You can't tell me that there aren't at least ten clubs in BC and Alberta alone that are way stronger than Stouffville for instance.

I love watching OJHL hockey, but, it is what it is......as is the NOJHL and the Superior!

Ron
(Login fillibuster)

Re: soo

No score for this post
October 4 2011, 9:02 AM 

Colts have only allowed 18 goals in nine games. They have won four by just one goal though, two in OT.

nojfan
(Login NOJfan)

agreed

No score for this post
October 4 2011, 6:25 PM 

totaly agree with you lounger and i know the goaltending is the only reason it was close. Abrams did say the Eagles were the hardest working team the Dukes played all year.

BCHL is certainly the cream of the crop and with the NCAA sending more and more of their recruits/committments there, the gap is only going to get worse.

Unfortunately there are no inter squad games between the NOJHL and OJHL. too bad tho, it's great for the fans. We did have two exhibition games here against Port Hope and Vaughn 5 and 3 years back, win against the Preds, and a tie against the Vipers (over 800 attendance each games). Terrible results in the Dudley with 0-7 and 0-6 loses to Aurora and Oakville respectively.

Although not an Eagle supporter, i'm happy they are in our league and forcing the other Orgs to work harder if they have any hopes even attending a Dudley let alone competing there.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  
Find more forums on Junior HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Please respect this forums guidelines, Network54's guidelines and your fellow participants.