In The Cage With Tigerpaws

Information about Edinburgh

Visitors since March 17, 2003.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

World Juniors .... James Duthie, Bob McKenzie And Ray Ferraro, Are These Guys The Best ?

December 30 2011 at 6:44 PM
No score for this post

Tony Hayward  (Login THAYWARD)
Forum Owner

Every Christmas when the World Junior theme is qeued on TSN, I immediately think of Bob McKenzie and James Duthie! Especially so last year when I was fortunate enough to have tickets for the entire tournament in Buffalo, New York and had the opportunity to see this talented tandum live and chatted with them both (off camera of course, lol) in the confines of their remote broadcast studio within the HSBC arena in Buffalo.

This year is as equally exciting (almost, but my invitation to Alberta from Bob must have been lost happy.gif in the Christmas mail) watching their indepth analysis along with Ray Ferraro on TSN. Their broadcasting expertise is synonymous with the World Junior Tournament each Christmas and I just want to give a loud and proud Canadian shout out to the BEST broadcasting coverage of any hockey event (yes even the Stanley Cup Playoffs) with that fella Ron something and his (archaic, lol) sidekick!

Thanks fellas for the amazing insight and detailed analysis at this fantastic amateur tournament which features the up and rising stars of the future! Great Job James, Bob and Ray!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Huh??
(Login Orioles12345)

Re: World Juniors .... James Duthie, Bob McKenzie And Ray Ferraro, Are These Guys The Best ?

No score for this post
December 30 2011, 9:42 PM 

When a Canadian refers to "even the Stanley Cup" as it pertains to television coverage, I just have to laugh. I am sure that refers to the CBC. Well, most (all) intelligent hockey fans with a flat panel HD TV (with sound) watch their Stanley Cup Finals on NBC with Mike Emrick (arguably the best hockey commentator on TV). Sadly, even TSN's WJC coverage lags behind the camera coverage of a regular season game on NBC/Versus. You are right on one thing. The analysis on the "CHL ALL STAR TOURNAMENT" (oops, I mean WJC) is top notch. Remember, it is TSN's cash cow, they trick Canadian hockey fans into believing this is a tournament people care about and not a scouting combine (see Petr Mrazek, oops drafted). Hate to disturb your table hockey romanticism, but Americans televise hockey much better than Canadians and the WJC has become a made for TV tournament. Great hockey, but sorry guys!!!!!

Anonymous
(Login wingsfan_100)

Re: World Juniors .... James Duthie, Bob McKenzie And Ray Ferraro, Are These Guys The Best ?

No score for this post
December 30 2011, 10:06 PM 

ok mike emerrik seriously? the best announcer to date is rick jeanertee american side and bob cole in his haydays

Anonymous
(Login Orioles12345)

No score for this post
December 30 2011, 10:12 PM 

Hey, nice comeback......close with Rick Jeanneret (I know how to spell it)...I'm going to give you that one. But Bob Cole??? Child, please??? He was average before he forgot all of the players names. Just because the CBC tells you it's good, it doesn't make it true. Something tells me you need 'NHL Centre Ice' for some more exposure and a 'Scrabble' game for spelling practice.

scott
(Login wingsfan_100)

No score for this post
December 30 2011, 10:58 PM 

oo i had center ice i loved it now its too expensive lol ok the most annoying guy ever for broadcasting is jack edwards he is so biased for the bruins you can tell

Anonymous
(Login blaze_96)

No score for this post
December 30 2011, 11:21 PM 

Rick Jeanneret and Joe Bowen by far. They are the two most enthusiastic and passionate announcers in the game. And please dont tell me that I am brain washed by CBC, but I think that Hughson and Simpson do a decent job (when they arent broadcasting Canucks or Oilers games). Not to mention CBC's HD quality is excellent to take in a game. My favorite crew of all time was Joe Bowen and Harry Neale, especially Joe Bowens call of a playoff game between the Leafs and the Flyers where Bowen let out all of his emotions on the Leafs radio broadcast. TRUE PASSION.

And I feel bad for you, I think you have spent a bit too much time watching hockey south of the boarder if you think that NBC and Versus put on a better broadcast than CBC, TSN, SportsNet, LEAFS TV etc.

PS: Sorry for your loss against the Czechs today... hopefully the US is still good enough not to get relegated. But it should be ok for you since your not Being tricked into believing that this is a tournament that people care about.

scott
(Login wingsfan_100)

No score for this post
December 30 2011, 11:35 PM 

blaze i agree with you 100% couldnt agree with you more

Anonymous
(Login Orioles12345)

No score for this post
December 31 2011, 12:08 AM 

Typical Canadian reaction. I am Canadian and have watched Canadian hockey for 40 years and know people who work for both TSN and the CBC. You are a typical of the Don Cherry 'Leaf-tard' who is told what they should believe. My friends who work in Canadian television admit that they don't have the resources to compete with NBC. As for Joe Bowen, he is a shill for the Leafs, a cheerleader. At least on regional American broadcasts, they admit they are homers, Bowen tries to be a 'National' broadcaster (which he will never be). So, when Joe Bowen gets a job as something other than a cheerleader, let me know. Funny, every time Canadian hockey fan doesn't hear the Don Cherry opinion, it must be American or European. Sorry, dude....Ontario born and bred...maybe you need to get new rabbit ears for your TV...you may be surprised.

Anonymous
(Login Orioles12345)

No score for this post
December 31 2011, 12:12 AM 

By the way, LeafsTV is one of the bigger jokes. The centre (notice 'centre') ice camera may have been cool in the 'Hot Stove Lounge' era but it would be nice to have more camera angles. If Leaf fans had enough PASSION to stay in their seats (and not the bar) for the game, they could get some guy with an iPhone to broadcast the game...but I am sure you know best...because that's what you were told by Norm Rumack.

scott
(Login wingsfan_100)

No score for this post
December 31 2011, 12:17 AM 

i agree with that too many seats empty at the acc just for beer

Anonymous
(Login Orioles12345)

No score for this post
December 31 2011, 12:28 AM 

Don't say that Wingfan, or Blaze will think you live south of the 'boarder' (in Canada we spell it 'border')...don't tell anybody that fans in San Jose, Philly, Nashville, Chicago and New York (Rangers) make Toronto fans look like they should be watching a golf tournament in a library. Our secret.....

Anonymous
(Login blaze_96)

No score for this post
December 31 2011, 7:17 AM 

Joe Bowen is not considered a "National Broadcaster" he is hired by MLSE. That is why he does not work CBC games or TSN games. Secondly NBC as a whole is considered Im sure to have better equipment. But dont think for a second that they are using their finest equipment for NHL games, a sport many Americans dont care to watch.

Your saying Joe Bowens fan like calls of the game are worse than Mike Emrick's? Give me a break, I would rather hear a Biased yet enthusiastic and passionate broadcast then listen to Mike Emrick. Next thing you will be telling me is that Pierre McGuire is such a great broadcaster as well?

Obviously I would think you live south of the border after you completely Bash Canadian television, Canadian hockey and then go on to praise the likes of NBC's boring NHL broadcasts (which are on TV maybe once a week).

Leafs fans do have PASSION. You think those people who sit in the Platinum seats at the ACC are fans? Or are just trying to make their next business deal. I can tell you that anywhere above Platinum (gold-purples) there is more of a hockey support base then in most American markets. Not to mention the MILLIONS of fans who are unable to attend games that have been supporting this team through and through. Its not a coincidence that the Maple Leaf organization is the highest valued team in the NHL!

And I will adjust my rabbit ears on my 52" LED HD TV. Not wanting to turn this into a "my truck is bigger than yours" just proving that Im not making a strong judgement on this subject watching these broadcasts on a small crappy TV.

Anonymous
(Login kiltyb)

No score for this post
January 2 2012, 8:18 AM 

And of course Buffalo's Rick J (won't even try to spell it) is a true Canadian boy who learnt his trade at Niagara Falls.

Gtwn1
(Login Gtwn1)

Re.Re.Re.Re. My Pick

No score for this post
January 1 2012, 6:13 PM 

Oroiles12345,

Okay,since you'd care to discuss facts, here are few that you may want to know. The D3s (GM,FORD and CHRYSLER) still have approximately 45% market share in Canada (40% in the U.S.A.). Also, foreign countries such as Japan and especially South Korea make it extremely difficult to sell D3s in their market because of countless restrictive policies and additional tariffs(the trade imbalance in autos is astounding), so when people want to discuus "Free Trade",there is really nothing "Free" or "Fair" about it! So, when you purchase your next vehicle, ask yourself how you are supporting the Ontario economy, because ultimately that money will NOT be re-invested to support hardworking Ontario citizens.

Anonymous
(Login Orioles12345)

Re: Re. Re. My Pick

No score for this post
January 1 2012, 2:53 PM 

Once again, regardless of whether I drive a Rolls Royce or a Silverado there is not much doubt that over the past decade or four, that the Japanese and Germans have brought the American car companies to their knees. You just have to look at market share, profitability and the bailouts of 2009/2010. Although they are making somewhat of a comeback, their is no way to argue that the American auto industry is a shining example of corporate excellence. I kinda, sorta see why Leaf fan is in love with Joe Bowen, but to argue the merits of an industry that was literally bankrupt two years ago, seriously??? Back to hockey!!!!!

Gtwn1
(Login Gtwn1)

Re. Re. My Pick

No score for this post
January 1 2012, 1:14 PM 

Hey Orioles12345,

Let me guess-you probably drive a Kia/Hyundai or some ther non domestic vehicle,right? Don't get me started with that ********! Oh yeah, seems to me Toyota, Honda and many others had their share of quality issues this past year. For those of you not in the know about Ontario's proud auto sector, 1 in 7 jobs is linked to the provicial economy. This is due mainly to GM,FORD,and CHRYSLER'S longstanding presence in many Ontario communities- Oshawa,Windsor,St.Catharines,Oakville,Brampton and many others. So, before you start spouting off about foreign cars are superior,blah,blah,blah,be sure that you know all your facts!!!!!
There's my 2 cents for today(Tony, I know you'll support me on this issue). Oh, and by the way-HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Anonymous
(Login Orioles12345)

Re: My pick

No score for this post
January 1 2012, 8:34 AM 

Oh wow, Beaver....an informed and balanced opinion. At the end of the day comparing any form of television/entertainment to American standards is a losing argument. It's much like saying the German's and the Japanese make bad automobiles. Don't worry guys....the American's are getting their *** handed to them in that competition.

BeaverSports
(Login BeaverSports)

Re: My pick

No score for this post
January 1 2012, 1:43 AM 

I would put Chris Cuthbert above Jim Hughson, Doc Emrick or any of the others right now, which is a shame because TSN often seems to give the big games to Gord Miller, who was better suited as a studio host. For a colour guy, I really highly recommend Daryl Reaugh, who does Dallas games primarily, but also does some CBC stuff in the west and a lot of American network stuff. I do like Bob McKenzie and find James Duthie fairly entertaining. Right now, Elliotte Friedman might be one of the best prepared, best connected hosts/reporters in the game.

One thing both TSN and NBC have done well over the years, the latter moreso for its Olympic coverage initially than its NHL package, is hire top off-air talent to produce and direct their hockey packages. That's one area the CBC hasn't continued to spend the money on HNIC, though, from what you hear, the CBC higher-ups like to muck around in editorial decisions, so many of them likely would have left for less anyway, despite the show's prestige.

aciguy
(Login aciguy)

My pick

No score for this post
December 31 2011, 5:34 PM 

Most underrated for me is Mark Lee of CBC

Example:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFbaiMS73Ec&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I find the game/arena sound far superior on US broadcasts

Canadian networks have work to do on surround sound.

I agree with Tony that the TSN panellists analyze the game the best

Bob Cole is unbearable now. He has hung on way too long

leafans
(Login leafans)

nbc

No score for this post
December 31 2011, 4:39 PM 

You are kidding i hope about NBC,the worst i have ever heard period.They spend all the game talking instead of telling you whats going on.I have spent alot of money on my tv and surround and their picture is bar far the worst in almost all american games,nothing like shadows on the ice wow invest in some hi def.Then they complain they cant see the puck,I guess not with that joke of a broadcast..The games out west are the best hi def pics anywhere.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Junior HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Please respect this forums guidelines, Network54's guidelines and your fellow participants.