In The Cage With Tigerpaws
Visitors since March 17, 2003.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

Something is amiss in the World Juniors

January 2 2015 at 10:52 PM
No score for this post

Wayne Lewis  (Login wayjoy)

IMHO.

Impressive show in the quarters against Denmark...a 8-0 win to semis against Slovakia.
russians who beat USA play Sweden who beat defending champion Finland in the other semi on Sunday.

You know, as good as the Canadians are, I think they should have to beat all comers in order to claim a Gold medal. The tournament organizers al know who the contenders are. The whole setup smacks of hometown favouritism. And the fact is, this year's team is good enough to beat them all. We can't say that every year of this tournament.

Here are a few points for you all to consider;

- Canada has only played one of the big three USA, Russia and Sweden to get into the Gold medal game...nice favourable scheduling by tournament organizers.

- Canadian fans paying premium ticket prices for junior games have been cheated somewhat that their team has not played anybody of note except USA up to this point.

- why the hell NHL teams don't step up and push to mandate all junior-aged players to wear full face mask protection? If I would had drafted one of these blue-chip prospects, I'd sure want to protect my investment. I've seen far too many serious facial injuries.

The sanctioning bodies in Canada, whether the OHA, the ODHA and any other sannctioning body of junior hockey in Canada, including major junior, should all get onboard and make their players wear full face protection. It shouldn't just be in minor hockey up to including midget.
""

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rick Revelle
(Login RickRevelle)

Re World Juniors

No score for this post
January 2 2015, 11:09 PM 

I agree with you Wayne. This World Juniors is a joke and a rip off for the fans. Canada has not played any of the powers except USA. Finland had a very young team built for next year for when they host the same tournament. The Canadian Juniors will come up against a very battle hardened team from the other bracket who will have had to play very intense games to get where they are. Meanwhile Canada has played a bunch of very low talented teams and will have to then try to kick it up several notches to win. Not a good scenario. Personally I have watched a total of maybe 5 minutes of this whole tournament, no interest in it whatsoever because of the competition. The USA game I was out for New Years and not even near a TV. I was in a crowd of over 400 people when they announced the score and the silence was deafening, no cheers whatsoever for Canada winning.

Just Saying
""

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Tyler Brown
(Login DUKES_FAN)

Re: Re World Juniors

No score for this post
January 2 2015, 11:24 PM 

Hate to burst your bubble Wayne but it has absolutely nothing to do with the organizing committee in who plays who.

There's two pools.

Pool 1 consists of last years
1st 4th, 5th, 8th and 9th place teams

Pool 2 consists of last years
2nd 3rd 6th 7th and 10th place team.

Since there is no playoff rounds for positions 5-8 the seedlings were based on regulation round standings.

The only other game is relegation game - which the loser is relegated and a new team moves up. This year Denmark was moved up as Norway was bounced in last years relegation game. Next year Belerus will be moved up to the big tournament.

For playoff rounds it's simple 1A vs 4B 2A vs 3B 1B vs 4A 2B vs 3A

If anything the Canadian team was fortunate how other results ended.

As Rick said, Finland is building for next year when they are the hosts. That isn't to be blamed on the organizing committee. There were some upsets in this tournament that worked in Canada's favor. Czechs beating Russia was a big one.

Say what you want about this tournament; it's been exciting. Don't tell Robby Fabri these QuarterFinal games against Denmark mean nothing...

Craig Schroter
(Login muskie1)

Re: Re World Juniors

No score for this post
January 2 2015, 11:40 PM 

There was a time when the tournament was simply a round robin format all together. By the end everyone had played everyone, and as my grade 10 gym teacher taught us years ago, that is the most fair way to determine a winner. Problem is it's no good for TV. TSN want a gold medal game. In the round robin days there were times when a team had the gold medal wrapped up and still had a game to play. I prefer the round robin version, but truthfully this tournament was largely ignored till TSN grabbed it years ago, so I guess they should get some input.

kelseysuncle
(Login kelseysuncle)

Excellent Points, Tyler

No score for this post
January 3 2015, 1:09 AM 

Now, whether the Kingston duo will accept the reality of the tournament seedings/pools being decided by the IIHF or continue to believe in some grand conspiracy theory is a whole different question.

As far as the argument of round robin versus pool/playoff format goes, there are fans of both. While most soccer leagues determine their champions by way of a round robin with no playoff format, most other major sports have long used a playoff system to crown a champion.

As mentioned, the round robin without playoffs format allows the very real possibility of a champion being crowned before the final game(s) have been played. This scenario may be palatable to some, but the appeal of the winner take all gold medal game provided by the pool/playoff format is undeniable.

Events like the Super Bowl, World Series, World Cup finals etc. routinely draw massive television ratings because.......people want to see the spectacle of a defined playoff game. And the ultimate object of any of these sports is to generate as much money as possible so as to benefit event participants and organizers.

RickRevelle
(Login RickRevelle)

World Juniors

No score for this post
January 3 2015, 10:31 AM 

The attendance figures at Montreal and Toronto, even though better than any European venues have been a disappointment to the IHF and the organizers. I stand corrected but I do not think there has been a sellout in any of these two venues yet.

Just Saying
""

dhn
(Login modhock)

Re: World Juniors

No score for this post
January 3 2015, 10:42 AM 

Because the organizers have been total pigs about the prices being charged for tickets........

Anonymous
(Login ReboundScores)

Re: World Juniors

No score for this post
January 3 2015, 10:55 AM 

It's the fact that they "make" you buy tickets for a whole bunch of games I really have no interest in to get Canada tickets. Guys couldn't GIVE those tickets away.

I don't understand why they didn't play a bunch of those games involving "less desirable" teams at the Hershey Centre or Ricoh or even the PowerAde Centre. Let the games be sell-outs and with some atmosphere rather than a 1/2 empty ACC

Before anyone jumps on me. I'll bet that with a little grey matter we could come up with a pricing scenario that would generate more revenue of Hockey Canada than what they came up with

RickRevelle
(Login RickRevelle)

Re Worlds

No score for this post
January 3 2015, 11:20 AM 

You have to admit if you are a hockey fan watching Canada beat other teams by 4 or 5 goals it is not conclusive to drawing a consistent fan base. I want to watch games that are close. There are basically only 5 teams coming in who have a chance at a medal. Canada, USA, Russia, Finland and Sweden. Slovakia and the Czech have not even threatened since their country divided.
If the IHF want this tournament to draw fans and have meaningful and close games in the Pool format, then put the top 5 from the previous year in a pool and the bottom 5 in another pool. The top 5 will play for seeding's in the playoff round and the top three from the "B" pool will make the playoff round. The "B" pool will also now have really competitive games which will be tolerable to watch. I really do not care who wins or loses, I want to see good hockey and right now I have no interest at all in watching Canada beat teams by a touchdown in the pool play. I have never been a fan of the World Junior Hockey because of the format. Rarely do the best teams even play each other. This year Canada will get two games that were even worth watching. The USA game and the Gold Medal game. For me I lost interest before the tournament even started. Put the top 5 in pool play, now you will have a hockey tournament that will draw fans and it will be exciting from start to finish. There are people out there that want to see Canada win period. I want to see Canada win and beat the good teams in doing it. Canada will have played 7 games when this tournament is over and only two games will be worth watching. By that time a lot of the casual fans will have been lost. The die hard fans will always be there. Having a format like they have for me does not interest me in the least bit. But I am just one person.

Just Saying.
""

Anonymous
(Login ReboundScores)

Re: Re Worlds

No score for this post
January 3 2015, 12:13 PM 

I guess you don't watch Women's hockey at the international level

Rick Revelle
(Login RickRevelle)

Re Womens Hockey

No score for this post
January 3 2015, 1:00 PM 

Nope I do not watch women's hockey at the international level, there are only two competitive teams. However I do watch it at the University level and have seasons tickets for the Queen's Golden Gaels women's team. Great hockey at this level. I also have season's tickets for the Queens men's team, also great hockey.

Just Saying
""

Wayne Lewis
(Login wayjoy)

Re: Re Womens Hockey

No score for this post
January 3 2015, 1:23 PM 

Now don't go gittin' your shorts all in a knot and go as far as accusing me of being too Un-Canadian.

All I am saying is that the format of this tournament is ridiculous whether it was a product of International ice Hockey or not.

It should be fixed to ensure everybody has to play everybody. It's the only fair way to determine winner. My friend in Lindsay, Craig, has it nailed too.

"I want to see Canada win and beat the good teams in doing it. Canada will have played 7 games when this tournament is over and only two games will be worth watching."

- Rick Revelle

You are bang on Rick. And nobody would ever accuse you of being Un-Canadian if they knew you as well as I do.

Happy New Year my friends.

Now, let's all get on the Canadian bandwagon and help make sure the Canadians get that Gold medal, their first since 2009. I got my Canada hat on, have you?

""

Dave
(Login Wings4Life)

Re: Something is amiss in the World Juniors

No score for this post
January 3 2015, 3:13 PM 

This World Juniors is odd. I feel that there is no outright superior team compared to tournaments past. Yes, Canada is playing well, but they are not playing the best that a team with this talent can (Honestly, the defence and goaltending scare me). I expect a Canada vs Sweden finals, but would love a bit of revenge against Russia for the WJ in Canada's City off the border in Buffalo from a few years ago.

Craig Schroter
(Login muskie1)

Re: Something is amiss in the World Juniors

No score for this post
January 4 2015, 12:28 AM 

I preferred the round robin myself. I had to do some back checking to find the year that I remembered watching Canada last win the round robin version. Turns out it was 1995 in Alberta. While I think it's the most fair way to determine a champion it was anticlimactic as far as TV goes. The only reason I was watching the final game was to see if Canada could complete the seven game sweep, (which they did). The gold medal had been determined before the puck dropped on the final day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_World_Junior_Ice_Hockey_Championships

This tournament is a big deal, at least in Canada, I would say mostly due to TSN's involvement, and promotion. While I think the round robin was the best way to determine a champ, I can understand why they want a championship game.

I do feel badly that some of the teams at this point really have no chance of winning, but the last thing I would want to see would be some sort of rigging that ensures a weaker team gets further, (if I read one of the earlier posts correctly...mind you I've had a few pops tonight) lol

I did not inquire about getting tickets for this years tournament, but I know friends that decided they wanted to go to the game in Montreal against Finland in Montreal. They simply bought tickets on line and went down. They weren't forced into buying any other games.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  
Find more forums on Junior HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Please respect this forums guidelines, Network54's guidelines and your fellow participants.