<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

An interesting article on phimosis / paraphimosis

September 10 2009 at 1:25 PM
Anon  (no login)

http://www.helium.com/items/1574127-what-causes-paraphimosis

That site is quite big, perhaps phimosis and paraphimosis cases are becoming more common. Hopefully MD's will start to put more emphasis on conservative cures for these conditions because if this article is anything to go by, the recognition of these conditions must be becoming more common and popular

thoughts?

AuthorReply
Jim
(Premier Login jimsplacetofixthings)
Forum Owner

Reasonably written

September 10 2009, 2:40 PM 

However, I think he might be blowing it out of proportion. Most men of sound mind can overcome the condition easily.

(Login Paul_B.)

Hardly constitutes evidence.

September 11 2009, 6:35 AM 

Oh my, that website is a laugh a minute. I tried to follow the link "What is Helium?" and got "Page Not Available .. The Helium Page youve requested cannot be found. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please see the following ...". That's not a good "look" for a website. Fortunately, it seems to have since been corrected.

The 19 year old author of the article in question, Wayne K. Wilkins has written some other articles including Why you should not kill spiders which is pretty good in the main, but includes such assertions as "there is no reason to fear the common spiders you find in your home or garden". Well, that may for all I know apply to Birmingham, West Midlands GB, but not Sydney Australia.

Anyway, the article is as you say, not bad - it correctly observes that phimosis (or indeed, paraphimosis) "is treatable and does not require circumcision despite what the doctor may tell you" and that paraphimosis is a rare condition. It mentions (albeit mis-spelled, the accent perhaps lost in the system) Michel Beaugé whose work certainly has some significance in relation to phimosis.

I would however be inclined to omit such statements as "This is a medical emergency which can cause gangrene if the condition persists" - the fact is that there may have been one or two cases of such a catastrophe written up in the medical journals - as a curio, since this consequence is so absurdly improbable. A paediatric surgeon to whom I spoke after a lecture a few years back, made the observation that of colleagues with whom he had discussed such things, no-one actually had personal experience of any actual harm coming to a penis even where paraphimosis had been left uncorrected. It may happen, but such a "potentially deadly condition" appears to be more in the realm of "old wives tales".

Another somewhat confused statement refers to "pulling the foreskin back to its usual position and holding it there until everything returns to normal". Fair enough, but since the very nature of paraphimosis is that it is the tightness of the foreskin that makes pulling it forward difficult, it follows that once pulled forward, it is not going to slip back again by itself, so the need for "holding it there" is hardly meaningful.

And I am not at all sure that first sexual intercourse is a common cause of paraphimosis - most cases are the result of deliberately pulling the foreskin back but not comprehending the need to pull it forward again.

And I can see no reason why phimosis and paraphimosis should be or are becoming more common; certainly not simply because you see an article on some "chatty" Web site. As the practice of ritual circumcision becomes less common in America, we certainly may hope that doctors will become more competent in attending to the small number of problems that can arise from improper care of the foreskin.

Current Topic - An interesting article on phimosis / paraphimosis
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Please note - use "Preview" to check what you have written and how it will appear before you "Respond", and because this forum is moderated, you will not then see your submission until the moderator has a chance to confirm it.