Return to Index  

I have had experience with annovulatory cycles (m)

June 13 2005 at 9:28 AM

Pat  (Premier Login satie37)
Forum Owner

Response to I need feedback please!

and you can't really depend upon any 'symptoms' to determine if that is what the problem is. I know you are not charting but a temp chart is a pretty good way to know if you are experiencing an annovulatory cycle or not. The only other way to confirm it is to get a blood test for progesterone/E2/FSH/LH levels. If your cycle is annovulatory then you will see a low E2 and a low progesterone level.

On a normal cycle you will produce a follicle which will release an egg. The follicle then collapses into a corpus luteum and it is the corpus luteum which produces progesterone. This is why a low progesterone level will indicate no ovulation. The progesterone level will stay high for about 10 days and then the corpus luteum will stop producing progesterone. It is the sudden drop in progesterone level which signals AF to start. Of course, if the cycle is annovulatory then there is no drop in progesterone and no signal to start AF. One way to kick start a new cycle is to take progesterone supplements for 10 days. This will artificially raise the progesterone level in your system and then when you stop taking the supplements it will mimic the sudden drop in progesterone and AF will kick in.

Unfortunately, unless you take progesterone, there is no way of knowing how long an annovulatory cycle will last. Once it does end however, chances are that your next cycle will be normal again. I know I had an annovulatory cycle and it was followed by a totally normal cycle. Subsequently, I did not have any further annovulatory cycles. As for what caused this weird cycle... well, it could have been a reaction to the herbs you were taking or it could be 'just one of those things'. I would stop taking the herbs for the next few cycles and see if you return back to normal. I will also check out Fertilaid to see if I can find out what ingredients it has. I have also heard mixed reports about Vitex... either Love it or Hate it.

~ Pat

Pat - AKA - Satie37

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Fertilaid ingredients - Marla on Jun 13, 2005, 10:34 AM