Return to Index  

introducing myself and a question (long and adoption mentd)

June 26 2005 at 5:56 PM
cynthia  (Login cynthiab)

Hello all,

I usually lurk and occasionally post on the over 40 with high fsh board. I have been given terrible odds for conceiving and can't pursue ART so I don't feel I can participate in so many of the discussions on the boards, but I have learned a ton. Anyway, coming out of lurkdom and here's my story: I am 42 and have had persistent cysts on both ovaries and elevated fsh since my mid 30's. I wasn't ttc then as I was single, so no OB ever suggested surgery or anything else to maintain dwindling fertiltiy just gave me bcp's to regulate irreg. bleeding. They did and I have had regular 28 day cycles ever since. I met my dh at 39, we married at 40. Started ttc and consulted with RE, who of course gave us "the speech" and started pushing DE. My sister had suffered from severe endo and after many years of surgeries and other measures ended up adopting at birth her two wonderful kids (now 11 and 15). I adore them and so have always been very open to adoption. Before we started the adoption process, my dh and I read all the books and changed our diets, started acupuncture, etc. to enhance fertility. I have noticed great changes in my cycle so have continued ttc and maintain this healthy lifestyle even though we have "moved on" to adoption (we are just in the early stages). Anyway, I have suddenly noticed some strange symptoms I posted below that suggest possible pregnancy.... I realize that these symptoms may all be a fluke and I might get AF next week just the same (in fact a huge part of me really expects to be disappointed). Still these new symptoms have re-kindled an interest in trying to conceive on my own even as we adopt.

So my question: have any of you had a lap in your 40's and gone on to conceive your first child? I haven't had the unbearable pain my sister had with my suspected endo so have not pursued surgery. And I know that surgery to the ovaries usually raises FSH and mine is already high so have thought and have been told that surgery is pointless. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading such a long intoductory post. I promise to keep them shorter in the future. Good luck to all of you and I look forward to getting to know you better.
Cynthia

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: introducing myself and a question (long and adoption mentd) - Stephanie on Jun 26, 6:06 PM
    1. thanks Stephanie, your story - cynthia on Jun 27, 10:16 AM
      1. Re: thanks Stephanie, your story - Stephanie on Jun 27, 6:00 PM

2. I've never had surgery . . . - MichelleL on Jun 27, 12:10 AM
    1. Michelle - cynthia on Jun 27, 10:20 AM

3. Welcome to the board and thanks for sharing your story (m) - Pat on Jun 27, 9:03 AM
    1. Pat... - cynthia on Jun 27, 10:38 AM
      1. Cynthia it took me two years of TTC to finally get pregnant (m) - Pat on Jun 28, 9:24 AM
        1. Wow Pat! You give me hope! Thanks - cynthia on Jun 28, 11:07 AM