Return to Index  

I'm not Pat, but... (cutting in! ;)

January 6 2006 at 7:37 PM
Milagre  (Login milagre)

Response to IUI question for Pat! Are you out there?

have some savvy on this topic!

Are you in Canada, or the States?? I ask b/c it seems that many of the clinics in the States are recommending 2 to their clients, so I asked my RE (in Canada) about this, and he said that unless the male has low sperm count, one IUI is plenty, the day after a surge is detected. He will do 2 IUI's if the patient wants it (like I will this cycle) but only charges an extra $50 (the first one is $200). It seems that clinics who basically make it the protocol for having 2, sometimes 3, are simply out to make money. He has patients crossing the border (and paying everything out of pocket b/c they don;t have insurance here) to come to Canada for treatments, IUI's etc b/c they feel it's not based on dollars and cents, the way they've found in the States.

I have a friend in the US who is charged for EVERY little thing, including a $65 "class" to work the gonal-f pen!!

So, unless low sperm count is the problem, or your worried about your timing, there is no NEED for a second IUI, except to make you feel better. If the sperm being used is FRESH, it can live for days inside you, so you have a greater chance than those of us using frozen, already!

Here is a GREAT video to watch about the sperm journey:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/miracle/program.html

God bless and good luck!
L.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. O.K. - jennifer j. on Jan 7, 2006, 9:14 AM