Return to Index  

new here -- question about conceiving more than once over 40

January 13 2006 at 11:16 AM
Maisie  (Login molomcho)

Hi--

I'm new here -- This board looks like it gets more traffic than some of the others I've visited, so I thought I'd post my question!

Has anyone had more than one successful pregnancy while over the age of 40?

I got pregnant for the first time at 40. We were miraculously able to conceive on our own the first month we tried. All I did was "timed intercourse," every two days between CD 8-18. After a wonderfully uneventful and "normal" pregnancy, I delivered a healthy baby girl at 41 -- she's now almost 8 months old.

My OB/GYN has told me not to wait any more to TTC #2, so we just started actively trying this cycle. I'll be 42 in 3 months and I've had 3 cycles now since I've weaned my DD. Of course I hope that I'll have the same kind of crazy luck I had last time, but part of me realizes that my eggs are now that much older and I could be in for a much rougher road. I'm trying not to stress out about it. My Dr. said to come in if I can't conceive in 4-6 months. I don't know if I can wait that long.

Anyhow, I'm trying not to read anything about "the statistics" for a woman my age and hope that my PCP was correct when she said, "The best indicator of your fertility is the fact that you just had a baby! It shouldn't be that hard for you." I'm hoping to hear from anyone else who was able to have more than one baby after her 40th birthday.

TIA!

Maisie (41)
DH (38)
DD 5/17/05

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. It is definately possible to conceive more than once over 40! - Julie on Jan 13, 2006, 12:34 PM
    1. Thanks - Maisie on Jan 13, 2006, 2:11 PM

2. I think your PCP is right - sheridan on Jan 13, 2006, 1:21 PM
    1. "every two days" = M, W, F - Maisie on Jan 13, 2006, 2:10 PM
      1. thats what I thought - sheridan on Jan 13, 2006, 8:28 PM

3. We have had women on this board have more than one 'over 40' (m) - Pat on Jan 13, 2006, 8:28 PM